NEWS

Lone Star Equipment Challenge!

• 9 Replies

NovaHot1

• Chummer
  • Kind when I can be. Bastard when I have to be.
« on: <02-19-15/1547:01> »
About to start a 4A game and I need some advice. I have every book ever written, for 4th edition or 20th Anniversary, between me and my players. I'm gonna run it in 2070 before Lone Star got their contract taken away in Seattle through the Missions campaign and have the players play runners that all used to work for a Lone Star HTR team before they were framed A-Team style and had to turn to the shadows to make ends meet. What I plan to do is give each person a standard load out of gear for the time that they are Lone Star members. I'm gonna plan a few games as actual Lone Star squad members before they go through The Event. Can anyone help me figure out a list of stuff a HTR team member could reasonably be expected to have as standard issue? I know there is a template for Lone Star/ Corp sec in the 4A book but I'm looking for something a little more tailored to the HTR Team.  If they're not in the main book, the book they're found in would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!
Desire is irrelevant. I am a machine.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <02-19-15/1634:45> »
Well, off the top of my head an HTR team would all be equipped with some kind of assault rifle (Ares Alpha is quite likely) or a submachine gun/machine pistol as their 'main weapon', with the classy Predator IV or V as their sidearm.  On top of that, they'r probably wearing full body armor, maybe with a chemical seal.  They're going to have some phat loot, all in all, so keep that in mind. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <02-19-15/1651:22> »
Interesting question.

What I'd probably do is let the players choose a weapon that they want as theirs, which can come from their personal inventory or the armory.  This is how SWAT teams do things now - team members are expected to maintain their equipment as if it was their own, and in many cases the equipment actually is their own.  If you want to give them a list of weapons, I'd pick one or two from each category and pile them up.  Let the players pick one longarm, rifle, machine gun, or submachine gun as their primary weapon, and one sidearm or melee weapon as a secondary weapon.  Just looking through Arsenal and the core book, I'd go with this type of list:

Primary Weapons
  • HK-227 X (submachine gun, core book)
  • HK Urban Combat (submachine gun, Arsenal)
  • Ares Alpha (assault rifle, core book)
  • FN HAR (assault rifle, core book)
  • HK PSG Enforcer (sniper rifle, Arsenal)
  • Ranger Arms SM-4 (sniper rifle, core book)
  • Franchi SPAS-22 (shotgun, Arsenal)
  • Mossberg AM-CMDT (shotgun, core book)
  • Ares MP-LMG (LMG, Arsenal)
  • Ingram White Knight (LMG, core book)

Secondary Weapons
  • Ares Predator IV (heavy pistol, core book)
  • Colt Government 2066 (heavy pistol, Arsenal)
  • Colt Manhunter (heavy pistol, core book)
  • HK Urban Fighter (heavy pistol, Arsenal)
  • Ruger Super Warhawk (heavy pistol, core book)
  • Ares Crusader (machine pistol, Arsenal)
  • Ceska Black Scoprion (machine pistol, core book)
  • Steyr TMP (machine pistol, core book)
  • Jupiter Taser Club (club, Arsenal)
  • Stun Baton (club, core book)
  • Tonfa (club, Arsenal)
As far as other gear though, the armor should all be SWAT armor from Arsenal.  I'd assume they're all going to have Fairlight Caliban commlinks, and probably several other pieces of communications gear, like a Tacnet system.

To expand on MijRai's point about the amount and quality of their gear, you need to bear in mind that these guys will tear through the Missions content with all this equipment.  You might consider taking it away from them when they lose their Lone Star credentials.  Of course, any equipment that is actually their property (such as a primary and secondary weapon) wouldn't be taken away.
« Last Edit: <02-19-15/1652:54> by Namikaze »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <02-19-15/1733:33> »
It disturbs me to see that the Ruger Thunderbolt, the pistol that was designed specifically for Lone Star does not make an appearance. Lone Star used Colt Manhunters until the Thunderbolt was ready.

An idea would be for you to check out the old Lone Star sourcebook. It has write ups of all levels of Lone Star personnel and organization.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

NovaHot1

• Chummer
  • Kind when I can be. Bastard when I have to be.
« Reply #4 on: <02-19-15/1937:21> »
It disturbs me to see that the Ruger Thunderbolt, the pistol that was designed specifically for Lone Star does not make an appearance. Lone Star used Colt Manhunters until the Thunderbolt was ready.

An idea would be for you to check out the old Lone Star sourcebook. It has write ups of all levels of Lone Star personnel and organization.

Is that for an earlier edition of Shadowrun? I could probably find it on drivethru if it is but I don't have any earlier edition books.
Desire is irrelevant. I am a machine.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-19-15/2033:16> »
Lone Star is an SR2 sourcebook, Fasa 7115.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-19-15/2244:50> »

Seconded. Give 'em Thunderbolts as standard-issue, unless they specifically choose a different sidearm.

Also, consider giving them a few doses of Jazz - it was developed by Lone Star R&D after all, so why not?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <02-22-15/1054:40> »
Wasn't there a lone star tac team cyber suite in 4th in Augmented?
I'm pretty sure their was.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-22-15/1247:15> »
Wasn't there a lone star tac team cyber suite in 4th in Augmented?
I'm pretty sure their was.
Yes, SR4 Augmentation, p. 48.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-24-15/2154:21> »
Okay, my two nuyen worth here.

First, the lists of weapon choices posted above is a really good start. Likewise, the Ruger Thunderbolt was listed as being specifically developed for Lone Star personnel as their main sidearm, so that would likely be standard issue. Also because the Ares Predator is so tightly connected to Ares (no duh), which owns their biggest rival company, Knight Errant, so the Thunderbolt is a way of being visually distinct from any associations there.

Armour as was stated above should be full SWAT gear, as that's superior to even full body armour. Also consider that Lone Star, being the trigger - happy guys they are, would probably go in ready for whatever scenario earned an HTR visit, be it a heavily armed gang, shadowrunners, etc. So that means they might start with regular ammo, but you can be damn sure they'd carry extra clips of EX-explosive, ADPS, gel rounds, whatever they felt they needed for that task.

Someone mentioned the old 2E Lone Star book, and I really can't agree with that enough. It is absolutely worth a read/browse, because it gives great insight into general law enforcement, as well as obviously Lone Star. Things like how Lone Star personnel are issued a Thunderbolt as their regulation sidearm, but they are 100% allowed to register, train with, and carry their own sidearm instead (hence why some cowboy - enthusiast Lone Star cops might be seen with a Cavalier Deputy instead,  which is frighteningly powerful).

Also, Lone Star has 2 separate units that could be considered HTR, depending on the situation. There's the SWAT unit, which is very tactically minded and tries to actively prevent any civilian casualties/damage. Basically modern SWAT, same stuff. They are the scalpel to the hammer that is the second group, Lone Star's Fast Response Team (FTR). The FTR team is there to cause as much damage as possible and screw anyone who gets caught in the way. They are military - equipped and more than capable of dealing with most high-danger threats, as I believe the standard FTR unit is a 12 person team that arrives in a heavily armed and armored Mobmaster(according to the book).

Anyways, that's gear and mentality. One thing the players would have to get over and deal with in the transition from HTR guys to Shadowrunners is the lack of gear available. Yes, they can now tailor their gear to whatever style of runner they want to be, which is great. But they'd have to get used to the fact that finding specialty gear, weaponry, grenades, combat drugs, even electronic equipment (like surveillance gear, tac-nets, secure commlinks, black IC, etc) would be pretty hard to come by without dedicated, reliable sources. Back working for the Star, everything was provided often in relative abundance, but as runners they might have long dry spells for even some types of ammo if a source gets pinched. Big change to have to adapt to.

Anyways, that was a huge info dump for 2 nuyen, but there it is.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp