NEWS

[5E] Literal Samurai

• 7 Replies

Glaive

• Newb
« on: <12-23-14/0303:42> »
I couldn't help myself. After reading Run Harder, I just had to make a legit samurai.

PRIORITIES
A -- Attributes
B -- Talent (adept)
C -- Skills
D -- Heritage (elf)
E -- Resources

KARMA / QUALITIES
+15: Code of Honor (bushido)
-25: edge 3
-10: 20k¥
- 4: Inspired artisan
1 remaining

ATTRIBUTES
BOD: 5 / AGI: 6
REA: 3 (6) / STR: 5
CHA: 5 / INT: 5
LOG: 3 / WIL: 3
EDGE: 1(3)
MAG: 6

SKILLS
6 Archery (Bows): 12(14) / 6 Blades (Swords); 12(14)
6 Etiquette: 11 / 3 Negotiation: 8 / 3 Perception: 8
4 Artisan (poetry): 10(12)
2 Athletics Group
-- Gymnastics: 8 -- Swimming: 7 -- Running: 7

MAGIC
Improved reflexes 3
Combat sense 3
Danger sense 2
Critical strike (blades)

GEAR
150¥ Good kimono
Armor Jacket / Armor Vest
Actioneer Business Clothes

Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto, Bokken
Bow (5), 50 Arrows (5)

Renraku Sensei
Trodes / Simrig
Mapsoft (campaign location)
4 Datasoft
-- The Art of War, The Tale of the Heike, The Book of Five Rings, Assorted samurai writings and poetry
Fake SIN (4)
-- Fake weapons license (4)
Flashlight, Survival Kit
Medkit (6), 2 refills
Backpack 20¥

3,024¥ remains

So yeah, fairly light on assorted gear, but welcome to resources E. Not so sure about sticking with a bow as my only ranged option, especially at rating 5, but it just felt so right. I've got the cash to switch out to a basic AK if I need to be more serious. Decided to go with multiple sets of armor to facilitate a pseudo-face role. Vest for being inconspicuous... or at least as inconspicuous as can be for an elf openly wearing a kimono in public. Jacket is styled like an oriental brigandine or the like so it doesn't look too out of place worn over a kimono. Still obvious though. Actioneer business clothes for when I have to look modern. Was considering just getting a good suit, but if I get shot then I gotta get a new one. Spending a pretty penny anyways, may as well get something that can take a bullet. He's not actually good with that bokken, but it was only 30¥ and flavorful so fuck it. Was thinking about adding a performance, but I figured I'd be okay with just poetry writing. May as well be really good at one art rather than split between two. Was considering incompetence con since samurai don't lie, but I figured that would just be a part of the code of honor, so I didn't go for it. Severely considering getting him a kiseru pipe, which might even lead into a tobacco addiction. Samurai are supposed to keep themselves clean of addictions though, so I'm not really sure if I could get away with it. Maybe just say that he knows how to enjoy tobacco responsibly? Are samurai allowed to do that?

Can't help but notice that Sum 10 would make this character markedly better. I could drop heritage to E human, getting back the karma from my edge. Drop WIL to 1 and use that karma to get it back to 3. Use the freed up WIL points to keep CHA where it is. Then use that +1 priority to roll in skills B.  The only thing I'd lose is 1 AGI and low light vision.

EDITS
Clarified why the Sum 10 human is dropping WIL. Fixed a typo with the karma spent on nuyen.
« Last Edit: <12-23-14/0343:56> by Glaive »

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <12-23-14/0321:29> »
You could take some more Negative Qualities to get more Karma. By the way, 10 Karma translates to 20,000 nuyen, not 10.

Also, you would lose 2 Charisma by switching to Human. Still, you would be better off with Sum to 10, you are right.

Glaive

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-23-14/0342:05> »
You could take some more Negative Qualities to get more Karma. By the way, 10 Karma translates to 20,000 nuyen, not 10.

Also, you would lose 2 Charisma by switching to Human. Still, you would be better off with Sum to 10, you are right.
Typo'd the nuyen. Also, dropping WIL and moving the karma from EDGE to WIL was supposed to keep my CHA at 5.
I'm leaving the qualities as they are, since any more would be a reflection of an actual character rather than an archetype. That's the kind of think I prefer to leave untouched till a character creation session.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #3 on: <12-23-14/1224:18> »
Think it'd be a good idea to get some alternate vision modes, perhaps a set of glasses/monocle with low light/thermo or something. I'd be tempted to put smartgun + vision mag or image scope on the bow too, helps compensate for range
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Glaive

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-23-14/1432:24> »
Think it'd be a good idea to get some alternate vision modes, perhaps a set of glasses/monocle with low light/thermo or something. I'd be tempted to put smartgun + vision mag or image scope on the bow too, helps compensate for range
Huh, I could have sworn thermovision was more expensive than just 500¥. Not really a problem at all to get a set of thermoglasses! On that note, if a pair of glasses has unused capacity, is it possible to upgrade them later, or do you have to buy them with the stuff already attached? I ask this because the vision enhancements appear to alter availability of the glasses rather than have an availability of their own.

waitwait, you can smartgun a bow? I didn't even know that worked! The smartlink system is really pricey though and I wanna have some spending cash left. The imaging scope is pretty cheap though. The scope I could see fitting in, but the smart"gun" stuff would probably get bought in game.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <12-23-14/1640:30> »
Heheheh...  I love the ideas that pop up.  Having an elf samurai out-Bushido the Japanacorps and Yakuza is hilarious.  I did something vaguely similar a while back, human adept who went Bushido because of a man who pulled him from the edge.  When that guy died, mine basically went ronin with the plan to bring justice to the group who brought his mentor down. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <12-23-14/1856:07> »
Yeah you can smartgun most weapons, including bows. It's not particularly cheap to do on a priority E budget, but 10 karma gets 26k which should be enough to get all your basics, especially if you're not buying a car and an R4 sin.
As for the glasses and upgrades, I don't see why it couldn't be done. Using a hardware tool kit and the hardware skill should be enough. GM would need to set a threshold for the test but seems sensible enough to me and I'd certainly allow my players to do it.

Might be worth checking run and gun too as they've got new arrow options you might like
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-24-14/0116:42> »
look into run and gun if you have access to a copy. KENJUTSU and KYUJUTSU would add a lot of millage to this build especially Iaijutsu from the KENJUTSU line. It lets you draw abd attack as a simple action instead of a complex and a simple action. One to ready the attack and one to attack. Feel free to look at a similar runner i made a little while back

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18697.0
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"