NEWS

Questions from what I've been reading

• 11 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <11-06-10/1535:36> »
I've been reading post and play adventures for two reasons, I want to see how to play a hacker well and secondly I want to see how one "posts and plays"
The hacker thing is starting to pan out but I don't get the setup for rolling.
Could someone explain this?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-10/1548:19> »
What exactly are you wondering about? Is it how Shadowrun does skill tests or how we are posting the skill tests in the PbP threads?

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-10/1551:23> »
What exactly are you wondering about? Is it how Shadowrun does skill tests or how we are posting the skill tests in the PbP threads?
how you are posting the skill tests
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-10/1622:16> »
Go to http://www.invisiblecastle.com and click on the "Roll Dice" link at the top of the page.  You put in a user name and any rolls you make under that user name are recorded, time and result.  This is so we can verify that someone really did make the roll they say they did and didn't re-roll until they got a success.  Of course at the end of the day we never need to enforce this because everyone uses the honor system and besides, it kills the whole fun of the game if you don't sometimes fail miserably.....or even die!!!  Which is totally possible in my games.
The syntax for the roll in shadowrun would be for example "9d6.hits(5)"

Then go to the "BB Code" and copy and past what's there into the window where you're writing your post.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-10/1637:24> »
Also, Invisible Castle keeps a record of all the rolls in a database. So if you don't quite trust that the player is reporting the rolls correctly, you can see a list of all the rolls they've made for that character to verify they aren't just re-rolling to get a good result.

For instance, Here's all of Mercedes' rolls so far

Oh, and here's the options of code you can put into the Roll Dice box:
  • takeHighest – take highest X rolls
          10d10.takeHighest(4) – takes highest 4
  • takeLowest – take lowest x rolls
          10d10.takeLowest(4) – take lowest 4
  • minroll – minimum low range
          10d10.minroll(4) – no die roll lower than 4
  • extra – roll an extra die when roll greater or equal to X
          10d10.extra(9) – roll an extra die when a die roll is 9 or higher.
  • open – same as extra but roll extra dice until a die is not greater or equal to X (even the extra roll).
          10d10.open(9) – roll extra dice until a die roll is not 9 or higher.
  • each – apply X value to all dice
          10d10.each(2)] – add 2 to every die roll
  • hits(hitmin) – roll the dice and count the hits
          5d6.hits(5) – (count the hits 5 or greater) – [5,5,6,2,6] = (4)
  • hitsopen(hitmin, reroll) – roll the dice and count the hits, adding an extra die for any value equal or greater than “reroll”
          7d6.hitsopen(5,6) – (count the hits 5 or greater, extra roll on 6) – [[6, 6, 3],4,1,4,4,3,5] = (3)

After you generate a roll, it even gives you the code to copy and paste directly into the post to show the rolls and link to the roll.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-10/1650:59> »
wow thats pretty intense
HACK THE PLANET

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-10/1656:33> »
For Shadowrun, you only need to use the last two: XXd6.hits(5) is how to roll your skill checks, and XXd6.hitsopen(5,6) is what to use if you spent a point of Edge before the roll. XX is the number of dice you have in your dice pool.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-10/1657:12> »
oh ok. I'll see how it works:) thanks
HACK THE PLANET

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #8 on: <11-07-10/1417:23> »
It's also kinda important when doing invis cast rolls to put your notes in regarding what you're attempting.  That way it keeps you honest when you do something like an extended test.  Otherwise, you could look at what you rolled, notice a distinct lack of 1s and 2s and claim that you were "rushing the job" for half time after you know that factoring in 2s isn't going to make you glitch.  Notes take care of that little voice that says "no one will ever know!" because you've got the what and the how jotted down before the dice are cast.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-07-10/2110:18> »
Kontact: That last bit got me stumped. I've been stalking this thread because it's good info. I have no clue what you mean by the invis cast roll with notes. I found the website, and figured out how to make the dice roll, but the invis cast roll with notes thing has got me stumped.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <11-07-10/2346:35> »
When you make the roll, there's a Notes section where you can type in details about what you're rolling.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #11 on: <11-08-10/0906:28> »
Yeah, for example from Jack's roll history.
# 2719407    Mercedes    MattDroz    The Road to Redmond    1@16d6.hits(5)    [3,1,1,4,5,3,1,4,3,2 ,5,4,6,1,2,2]=(3)
   Con roll to convince him I'd pull the trigger if he moves.    10-Oct-10 12:02

The notes there are the "Con roll to convince him I'd pull the trigger if he moves."  Invis cast is just an abbreviation of Invisible Castle, the rolling site which we generally use.