NEWS

Machine Sprite Using Diagnostics to Buff Automatic Skill?!

• 4 Replies

euronymous

• Newb
« on: <03-15-18/0957:51> »
So guys, I'm arguing with another PC, one of my good friends actrally, on this(in somehow quite a harsh way maybe), and neither of us can persuade each other.
He claims that it is legal to summon a machine sprite, and with the "Diagnostics" sprite power, he can ask the sprite to cast it on his gun(for example, let's say, an alpha),to get both bonus on dice and limit, in "using the gun", i.e. firing it.
He says that the power writes, "The sprite can assist someone using or repairing the device with a Teamwork Test.", and the gun is a device for sure.
However, in my opinion, that is kinda ridiculous. Knowing the inner workings of the gun can't really help you being good in shooting in a minute. And, it is the people rather than the gun itself who is really aiming.
So, how do you guys think about this? I'm eagar to hear you all's voices, no matter which side you are on.
THX!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-15-18/1210:49> »
Recommended house rule: The Diagnostics sprite power (SR5 p.257) only works for technical skills (p.143-145).

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <03-15-18/1610:52> »
Welcome to techno pet builds.
Don't nerf it it's all technos have.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-15-18/1809:42> »
You are both right, he can do it and it is ridiculous. That aside, the power is horribly worded and open to interpretation so much that people try and claim using it on clothes to increase social dice pools. However, without it, technomancers are really quite bad.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <03-15-18/1822:25> »
Yes the power is kinda silly, but lets be clear,  how your player reads it is correct, and it something that been in use sense the early days of 5th.
But to be clear it is basically the only useful die adder TMs have. 
I would strongly recommend not changing it, if your going to have a TM PC, even post the TM errata it's still their most viable option.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking