NEWS

Modular Cyberlimb Questions

• 10 Replies

Alchemyst

• Chummer
« on: <07-23-12/0415:18> »
So for the first time ever I have a player really interested in making a "unique" character. Focusing more on the roleplay and less on the munchkin, aspect which I like. She is wanting to make a street samurai style thief with a fake identity but has a real SIN in which she is a college professor (I know, excited to RP scenarios, haha). To accomplish that she wanted limbs she could hot-swap out for her shadowrunning ones.

Our entire group is a pretty by-the-book group and we enjoy it that way so when she read that modular was only for parts of the limb we all started searching for a way already somewhere to allow her idea.

What I am wondering is, what have others done? How has allowing a shoulder connection for a full arm worked out for you, if you allowed it?
In some old posts I saw where someone recommended having the Torso and Arm be modular for it to work. However, that seems like a pretty steep cost. Another suggestion was to allow the easy breakdown modification but the player was turned off by that idea.

Also, how is essence loss calculated for modular limbs? Say she starts with an alphaware grade modular cyberarm and swaps it out for a standard modular cyberlimb she has for backup only. Does she now lose that extra essence permanently?

_Pax_

« Reply #1 on: <07-23-12/0835:18> »
Every part of an implant must be the same grade.  No exceptions.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-12/0910:30> »
Shouldn't have a problem with a 'modular shoulder', where you can swap the entire arm.

Thus, normal arm, possibly even fleshy, for the day job, and a tweaked-out chrome one for 'running.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-23-12/1014:26> »
If Your Char has 2  Standard Cyberarms
That'll be 2 Essencepoints
If he replaces them with Modular Alphagrade Shadowrun-Cyberarms
he'll have an Essencehole worth 0,4 Points
But if he fills the Essencehole and switches back to his " Normal Life-Cyberarms"
He'd be loosing the 0,4 Points too

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Alchemyst

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-23-12/1611:57> »
Every part of an implant must be the same grade.  No exceptions.
Even for modular joints? I guess I can understand that.

If Your Char has 2  Standard Cyberarms
That'll be 2 Essencepoints
If he replaces them with Modular Alphagrade Shadowrun-Cyberarms
he'll have an Essencehole worth 0,4 Points
But if he fills the Essencehole and switches back to his " Normal Life-Cyberarms"
He'd be loosing the 0,4 Points too

HokaHey
Medicineman

My question was more the other way around. Like, starting with Alphaware Modular Cyberarms and popping them out to put in Standard grade ones. Does that .4 essence extra get taken out? If possible that is.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <07-23-12/1619:51> »
It's not possible.

If you want an in-game explanation, perhaps different grades use different incompatible sockets.

-k

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-23-12/1702:08> »
Like, starting with Alphaware Modular Cyberarms and popping them out to put in Standard grade ones.
You'd be loosing those extra 0,4 Essence
but You would've less problems if Both pair of arms are either Standard or Alpha
It's not possible.

If you want an in-game explanation, perhaps different grades use different incompatible sockets.

-k
I'd rather say its a GM's call
And because this is a rather innovative Idea and not imbalanced so I'd give it a Go

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <07-23-12/1741:13> »
My question was more the other way around. Like, starting with Alphaware Modular Cyberarms and popping them out to put in Standard grade ones. Does that .4 essence extra get taken out? If possible that is.
not possible.  Just like you couldn't attach standard raptor legs to Alpha cyber legs, yo can't attach a standard cyber arm to an alpha cyber shoulder.

I think a better route to take might be using the existing modular system with casemods and that idea of the easy breakdown mod; instead of replacing the whole limb, you just swap equipment and coverings, while keeping the same 'chassis'.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #8 on: <07-23-12/1854:21> »
Maybe slap a "powered-break-down" mod onto it for automatic and quick changes.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-24-12/0121:00> »
Swapping out cyberlimbs, in my opinion, is perfectly fine. We already have people in the real world who swap to different prosthetics for different purposes. But I would insist that they be the same grade. It's the rules that all part of a cyberlimb must be the same grade, but if you need an in-universe explanation, try this: the socket built into the joint that the limb connects to would be designed to work with limbs of a particular quality, of a particular design type and/or using a particular communications protocol, and the socket where the cyberware merges with the rest of the body is what determines how invasive it is.

Alchemyst

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-24-12/0137:59> »
Sounds fair enough. Thanks for the help.