NEWS

Drones and smartlinks

• 7 Replies

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« on: <11-24-10/0723:54> »
There was some discussion elsewhere about having a smartgun mod for a drone mounted weapon. I generally agree that it would work with a jumped in rigger who also had a smartlink. Can the drone itself, with Targeting autosoft, benefit from the smartgun? I haven't seen a smartlink for drones that I can remember but a decent case could be made that drones can accept the smartgun's input without any more help than a targeting soft.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <11-24-10/0801:47> »
I don't know if there's anything in the books about this, but off hand I'd rule "No", since the autosoft probably works a lot like smartgunsoftware does.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #2 on: <11-24-10/1348:58> »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-26-10/0354:40> »
If the sensor and the gun have a smartlink then yes the drone and rigger gets to use it end of.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-26-10/1310:35> »
If the sensor and the gun have a smartlink then yes the drone and rigger gets to use it end of.

The above statement is correct only if the Smartlink the rigger has is DNI (internal), and the drone is running the smartlink software as well (to connect the sensors and gun), also remember that running that software takes up a processor slot. If you're using smartlink software via contacts or sunglasses then the drone gets bonus, but the Rigger only gets it if he is actively "jumped into" the drone and the software is still running. Course, that only really comes into play with technomancers with no ware.

And finally- all this hinges on your GM approving it since you are correct that there is no reference to a smartlink software option being allowed separately as an autosoft for drones, and it could easily be said that smartlink is already part of the targeting autosoft, and therefore would provide no extra benefit.

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: <11-26-10/1315:46> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <11-26-10/1454:48> »
Why would the rigger get smartlink bonus from his contact lenses, glasses or cyber eyes - that he can't use/see in VR - when he's jumped into a drone (which requires VR)? VR and natural perception don't mix.

This is the part that always stumps me on the drone + Smart-link. If the smartlink is installed as part of the drone's sensors, I guess I get it, but otherwise, it seems like a no-go to me.

EDIT

As to "smart link autosoft", the "smartlink" is part of the visual imaging device or sensor, not the drone itself, you don't need a "sensor autosoft", the sensors just work. Likewise, the "smartgun" is part of the mounted weapon, not the drone per se, and thus doesn't run "on the drone", but rather, in the gun.

it could easily be said that smartlink is already part of the targeting autosoft, and therefore would provide no extra benefit.
As a GM, reading over the description of a drone's sensors and how smartlink works, that is exactly how I view it.
« Last Edit: <11-26-10/1458:54> by Chaemera »
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-26-10/1621:24> »
it could easily be said that smartlink is already part of the targeting autosoft, and therefore would provide no extra benefit.
As a GM, reading over the description of a drone's sensors and how smartlink works, that is exactly how I view it.

I agree and that's how I run it also, I was merely trying to sum up what the other discussion had come up with on that other thread I linked.
My tips for new GM's

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-29-10/0832:51> »

The above statement is correct only if the Smartlink the rigger has is DNI (internal), and the drone is running the smartlink software as well (to connect the sensors and gun), also remember that running that software takes up a processor slot. If you're using smartlink software via contacts or sunglasses then the drone gets bonus, but the Rigger only gets it if he is actively "jumped into" the drone and the software is still running. Course, that only really comes into play with technomancers with no ware.

And finally- all this hinges on your GM approving it since you are correct that there is no reference to a smartlink software option being allowed separately as an autosoft for drones, and it could easily be said that smartlink is already part of the targeting autosoft, and therefore would provide no extra benefit.

edit: spelling.

I'm afraid I disagree

There is no smartlink software programm with the one exception of a technomancer having to thread up something. This difference is due to the smartlink being described as two standalone bits of kit that work together. Part one the smartlink adapter within the firearm normally consisting of a camera of its own and various sensors attached to the weapon to display data on heat buildup and ammunition levels (this also includes the mechanical adaptions to allow clip ejection via remote) The second bit of kit required is the self contained adaption for a visual unit such as glasses or contacts, but as this is a visual modification it is allowable to cameras (which in a drone are part of the sensors and as such replace the eyes much in the way a cyber eye is with a metahuman).

These are the only two pieces of kit needed by anyone the transmitter in the gun and the reciver in your visual mod. No software needed so no processor slot required. DNI would also be irelevent as the bonus would be given in AR as well as VR (you dont have to DNI you handgun now do you).

A drone would make use of it as this is additional targeting data to use and would logically add onto a targeting autosoft due to the replacement nature of a autonomus drones stats (pilot taking over for physical attribute and any targeting soft taking over for skill).

As for a rigger, given they use the sensors like their own eyes and the sensor in this case has the smartlink modification they would have no reason not to be able to use it.

granted the actual way a smartlink works is somewhat ambivelent on the technical side but some things you just have to live with.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"