NEWS

Playing Tabletop RPG:s Online?

• 6 Replies

Leevizer

• Omae
« on: <04-10-14/1036:24> »
So, there are a few softwares and whatnot, but that's not the kind of info I'm after here.

I have moved to study in a different city than my friends and want to try playing with them online somehow. I'm thinking of voice + text over skype or such. Has anyone else played in a group or gamemastered for a group online like this? Any hints? Tips? Tricks? Anything at all to make myself and my group enjoy it so we could do it more often instead of just throwing it into the trashbin as an idea?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

ST (haydnshaw)

• Newb
  • Let's blow some drek up.
« Reply #1 on: <04-10-14/1555:08> »
Skype's not bad, but one thing that can happen is that the person teleconferencing their attendance is often ignored during OOC and has to speak louder over the other players, which may or may not be a problem depending on how rambunctious your group is. I know that the Skype route is completely out of the question for one of my groups, the other one less so.

Due to my lack of general experience, I'm not sure what good alternatives might be. A group IM service could work, like Skype again, just with text instead of microphones, and everyone roleplays by typing in-character stuff in, or you could set it up as posts on a message board or comment thread.
Speech Thought Matrix/Comm Astral Subvocal Foreign Language

I change my display name a bit so my username is in brackets.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #2 on: <04-10-14/1857:22> »
use some sort of map software with a chat function in it and the ability to move your own character when it's your turn. I'd recommend maptools.
I've played a couple games with friends in other cities like that.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-10-14/1914:48> »
I have a mumble server that I use for it. I prefer it over skype because you have push to talk.

The server does cost money on my end, but the client side is free (and the server cost isn't high, think I paid 70 for a year).

Then I use roll20.net for my maps and such. They have a lot of good resources that you can use for your maps to build them, and they are introducing character sheets this year. It also has a dice roller (which they are also improving) with macros for ShadowRun exploding dice and stuff.

If you do want to try out a mumble server for a game, pm me and I'll give you the info for mine and can even set up your own room(s) for it for use.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-11-14/0046:04> »
I have been running an online Shadowrun game since last year when the PDF was released.  My players are scattered around the country.  Myself and a friend are in Vegas, and we have players in Florida, Eastern Canada, and Cyprus.   So, online is a must.

We use Skype for the voice
we use http://rolz.org/group# for the dice roller.  It has codes you can use to count Hits, and reroll 6's if you use Edge
We use http://rpgtableonline.com/welcome.php For the game table, where I can draw maps when I need to.  It is mainly formatted for D&D, but it's easy enough to work around.  The dice rollers aren't so easy to work around, which is why we use the roller above.  It has it's own voice client, but it gives some people trouble. 

So, I've been running a game for nearly a year there, every other week, and have had pretty good results.  Most of my players were formerly non-Shadowrun players, but they've gotten pretty interested now, looking out for new books and the like. 
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

BRKNdevil

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-11-14/1444:54> »
I just use roll20.net, but use something else for the voice chat because its bloody terrible.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-11-14/1612:02> »
We've been using Hangouts with the Roll20 embedded app -- is a decent combo. Five of us on at a time; and you can never have too much fun with the Pirate effect....   :)