NEWS

AR and VR o.O'

• 41 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <09-27-11/1843:01> »
Got a few questions really....

How the heck do you see AR? I get the concept of VR and going limp something similiar to the matrix but in AR your still moving around with your body right and you just see things? To see AR you need a comlink right? well do you just point your comlink and on the screen shows you what it looks like AR? Or can you get goggles to see AR and you just switch it on?

Smartlink is AR right? (shows kinda like a Video game hud of how much bullets you have and stuff like that correct?)

<.< If you have a comlink in your head... <.< are you almost always using AR to access menus and the like with your mind? Or at least are the "display screens" in your head where no one else can see?

Still trying to get myself into the setting. I think if i was able to read a few stories or play in a few PbP games I might get more of the hang of the setting. xD Thanks for your patience and willingness to answer a billion questions.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <09-27-11/1858:13> »
To the commlink in head vs seeing in AR, read over this thread.

As to seeing in AR in general, you need to have some form of AR visual interface (image link in glasses, contacts, goggles, or cybereyes; or a sim-module). At this point, you will see "AROs" pop up when you are in-range of them (fluff-wise, they appear to know "where" to appear in your vision, a menu above the table, for example, but how to explain this in terms of mechanics is more elusive). As to seeing nodes and other matrix specific info via AR, these are handled as pop-up windows on the "screen" of your vision.

Imagine everything you're looking at on your computer just floating in the air in front of you. You could "re-size" a window and move it to your peripheral vision (using AR gloves, DNI, etc), you could change it's transparency to see past it if it was too important to minimize (trid-call from mom, perhaps?), and so on and so forth. Most nodes would still appear sculpted (think video game interface), unless you over-rode their appearance to just give you a textual / 2D view (like this forum).

You're spot on about Smartlink, it's an AR interface with your gun, to work you must have the extra "smartlink" hardware in your AR-viewing device, as well as having a smartgun.

In all cases, unless you use a holo-projector (comm-link screen), AR is either projected over your vision (glasses, goggles, contacts, cybereyes) or generated inside your occipital lobe (DNI). At best, a person would be able to tell that you had AR screens up based on the light display of your glasses/goggles, but in general, I'd rule that they can't make out anything you're actually viewing. After all, the projection on your glasses/goggles is being generated to be viewed by your eye, at a fairly close range behind the lens, not by another person some distance in front of the lens.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-27-11/1940:51> »
So when you mean "in range" I'm picturing looking at a table from the outside of a reasturant and not seeing it and then going inside it appears as I take a seat sort of thing or i'm about to sit.

Also what's the "additional hardware" you need for smartlink in your comlink to work with Smartlinked gun?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <09-27-11/2350:33> »
Smartlink simply needs to be added to whatever vision device you're using (goggles, glasses, contacts) in addition to Image Link and whatever else you add.

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-28-11/0219:26> »
AR is aware of your position when it's displayed, so you won't get an ordering menu from a resteraunt until you are inside and settled in.

As for how to picture AR? Imagine information and 3D objects overlaid  on the real world. Maybe a marker that shows you where you parked your car that seems to hover in the air over your car, or a text box that explains what the painting you are looking at is named and who it was made by. Or if you get bored, you can project a virtual deck of cards and play solitaire in mid air.

In SR4, there's so much AR information in the air around you that filtering it out is a big part of your comlink's job.

Oh, and you can use it for military reasons as well, of course. Any detected, armed people could glow with a faint red aura to draw the gaze. The back blast zone of a friendly's rocket launcher could be displayed to you, while overhead drones could relay hostile potions and mark them so you can see them though walls.

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-28-11/0227:02> »
a Rigger observing tacnet information from his drone sensors via AR:

you meeting some guy and AR displaying your information about him:

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-28-11/0311:39> »
An existing AR application you can get on a phone. This one shows how you might be hunting for a place to eat or get a drink.

Kobold

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-28-11/0638:35> »

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #8 on: <09-28-11/0704:51> »
This one might also give you an impression: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=shadowrun&order=9&offset=192#/d25kp7i

That's pretty cool, I must say.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #9 on: <09-28-11/1256:13> »
where didja get the art, makki? That is awesome!

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-28-11/1322:08> »
2 minutes browsing deviantArt?!

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #11 on: <09-28-11/1331:18> »
Never heard of the site. By your tone I should have.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <09-28-11/1344:50> »
DeviantArt is the largest and most well-known site for up-and-coming artists out there. Great resource.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-28-11/1353:29> »
Never heard of the site. By your tone I should have.

Yes, it's were a lot of artist's (both drawing, painting, digital art) is displayed. A lot of people can do character searching for just the right pciture for your character. It's a pretty good site, and thanks I may have more questions here in a second. xD

Crash_00

« Reply #14 on: <09-28-11/1459:00> »
I don't know which I like more, the AR or the fact that two of the runners are Arthur Dent and Rupert Gyles.