NEWS

Underbarrel Grenade Launchers

• 15 Replies

Jebb X

• Newb
« on: <12-23-10/0418:23> »
Greetings, and well met.

I've played Shadowrun for some years, but I'm new to the 4th Edition, which, so far, I love. However, I have a question that may very well reveal my n00b status as a Shadowrun 4th Edition game master. Where in the hells are the underbarrel grenade launchers? I realize that some weapons come with the underbarrel grenade launcher included, but where is it for attaching to an after market weapon? Please, can someone give me a reference before I throttle my player who wants it?

Many thanks, in advance.

Jebb X

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <12-23-10/0627:05> »
You have one in SR4A p 318, Ares Alpha, it's stats are in the table on page 321. And they probably are in Arsenal also.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-23-10/0632:19> »
Generic underbarrel grenade launcher to install on any weapon, instead of the specific underbarrels for specific guns?

What you want is the "Underbarrel Weapon" mod (Page 153 of Arsenal, table entry on page 151 of Arsenal).

So it goes like this:

Pick your weapon (Say, AK-97), Arsenal recommends restricting the base weapon to a longarm, machine gun, or assault cannon. But, it's a recommendation, not a rule and Assault rifles are just as good a choice, IMHO.
Add the Underbarrel Weapon mod to it (cost = weapon added, Availability = weapon added), using up 3 slots and requiring a facility to install.

You, the GM then approve whatever weapon he wants to install as the  underbarrel weapon. For grenade launchers onto anything smaller than an LMG, I recommend the ArmTech MGL-6 (Arsenal, page 31). This is a "pistol" grenade launcher, so size-wise, already close to real underbarrel launchers.

Modify as follows: Ammo capacity halved (using the MGL-6, that gives you ammo capacity 3) and it loses all existing recoil compensation. If the base gun has underbarrel based RC (underbarrel weight, foregrip, biopod, tripod) itself, this has to be stripped out before installing the underbarrel weapon.

Personally, I'd argue that any RC that is "generic" on the base gun (sling, folding stock, for example) would apply to the underbarrel gun, while RC "specific" to the base gun (gas-vent system, electronic firing) would not. But, this is a GM's call, the book is silent on the question.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #3 on: <12-23-10/0933:34> »
Agreed on the recoil comp notes. Also note that you can use any weapon smaller than the main one as an underbarrel. The Sakura Fubuki is a great choice because it lets you carry either two barrels of 10 shots each or 4 of 5 depending on how your GM reads "half ammo". It also only has +1 recoil for a burst. Perfect for having a main gun with a solid punch and several types of specialty ammo (sitck'n'shock, chemical rounds etc) all available at once. Maybe not so great compared to a grenade launcher but ideal for sidearms.

Jebb X

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-24-10/0657:15> »
Thank chaps, much appreciated!

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #5 on: <12-25-10/0020:57> »
What, the underbarrel bola launcher, flame thrower and grapple gun accessories aren't enough for your players.  They need something marginally useful like a grenade launcher?  Pah!

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-03-11/1814:48> »
Hey now, that flame thrower is quite useful against swarms.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-11/2038:06> »
I like underbarrel shotguns myself.  More versatile and less dangerous to the self than grenade launchers.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-07-11/2107:20> »
I like underbarrel shotguns myself.  More versatile and less dangerous to the self than grenade launchers.
One of my favorites for Battlefield:Bad Company 2  ;D
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Morg

« Reply #9 on: <01-10-11/0115:08> »
anyone know if it the Ares Redline would make a good Underbarrel?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #10 on: <01-13-11/0947:11> »
anyone know if it the Ares Redline would make a good Underbarrel?

It makes a great sidearm if you've got the skills for it.  It shoots through schools.
It's main advantage is solid concealability (and absolute silence) though, so under-barrel would be a waste.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <01-14-11/0107:01> »
Actually it's not completely silent (but still much quieter than a gun, and the noise is mostly at the target rather than at the shooter's position)). At that kind of power level there is a bit of noise from the losses in the air on the beam's path, and there is also the noise of the impact as the target's surface vaporize.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #12 on: <01-15-11/1319:39> »
Any sound that the beam would make is insignificant compared to the sound of the guy dropping to the floor dead.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-16-11/1503:22> »
...or screaming bloody murder if he isn't dropped in a single shot.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #14 on: <01-22-11/1455:27> »
Used to love the masterkey in delta force. M4 for ranged work, shotgun to the center of mass for up close.
Want to see my flash new jacket?