NEWS

SRM FAQ 0.5 Questions

• 6 Replies

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« on: <07-25-16/0942:47> »
Ok I'm only on pg 15 so far, but I just want to make sure I have these new rules right...

The new rule on addiction is: You test for addiction at the beginning of every mission, at the end of any mission you use it and after any refresh of edge.

So suppose I'm addicted to psyche (Addiction rating 6, threshold 2) and it's been 1 week of downtime since the last mission.
 - I test for my addiction at the beginning of a mission at threshold 1 (2 - 1 week downtime).
 - Then if the addicted character uses, they also test at the end of a mission for a threshold of 2?
 - Will somoene who's not addicted need to make this second test at the full threshold?

That seems like changing *everything* to an Addiction rating of 10 since any time you use a useful drug you're going to be rolling versus the full threshold.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #1 on: <07-25-16/1026:39> »
Next question:

Pg 34 states that gear/protective systems "...stack for that vector" 
   -  Ok, that makes sense.  A Tracheal filter and filter mask would both apply for inhaled vector toxins, so they stack.

So that's all good, but I don't think that answers the question that was asked (and is written right above it).
The question asked about a character has "gear that protect against different vectors"

So if a guy with a tracheal filter and respirator was hit with nausea gas (inhalation only) he would stack those protections.
If the same guy was hit with Neuro stun (Inhalation and Contact vectors) and doesn't have protection against contact how does that work?  I think that's the essence of the question, and quite relevant given that (contact + inhalation) is super common.

It's worth pointing out that I think the answer to the immunity question (pg 33) got it just right.  The guy with a Gas mask (immunity to inhalation) but no chemical seal (contact immunity) is going to take the full brunt of Neuro Stun, cuz its' the good stuff (Contact + inhalation).  In the same manner, I think any toxin should only be resisted by the *least* resisted vector as far as protective gear goes.  Characters should not be able to stack protection from different vectors.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-25-16/1505:40> »

That seems like changing *everything* to an Addiction rating of 10 since any time you use a useful drug you're going to be rolling versus the full threshold.

Seems that way.  Means the Lightweight Quality is basically a freebie, which is likely not intended.  Also the rule says "If you take any addictive substance during a Mission, you make an addiction roll at the end of the Mission. "   Presumably the intent isn't take three of everything, but only make one test.  I threw a question in the Questions thread for clarification.  Also buying hits seems slightly cheaty since coming up with 4 Dice from two stats isn't really a significant issue.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-25-16/1849:14> »
Next question:

Pg 34 states that gear/protective systems "...stack for that vector" 
   -  Ok, that makes sense.  A Tracheal filter and filter mask would both apply for inhaled vector toxins, so they stack.

So that's all good, but I don't think that answers the question that was asked (and is written right above it).
The question asked about a character has "gear that protect against different vectors"

So if a guy with a tracheal filter and respirator was hit with nausea gas (inhalation only) he would stack those protections.
If the same guy was hit with Neuro stun (Inhalation and Contact vectors) and doesn't have protection against contact how does that work?  I think that's the essence of the question, and quite relevant given that (contact + inhalation) is super common.

It's worth pointing out that I think the answer to the immunity question (pg 33) got it just right.  The guy with a Gas mask (immunity to inhalation) but no chemical seal (contact immunity) is going to take the full brunt of Neuro Stun, cuz its' the good stuff (Contact + inhalation).  In the same manner, I think any toxin should only be resisted by the *least* resisted vector as far as protective gear goes.  Characters should not be able to stack protection from different vectors.

We felt we addressed that question.  If you don't have protection against a vector, then you must resist that vector.  In the example you provide (gas mask-yes, chemical seal-no), you resist the full brunt of Neuro Stun because you do not have the equipment to fully protect your from the full range of the toxin's vector.  You may not be breathing it in, but you're still getting doused in it.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-25-16/1852:46> »
Ok I'm only on pg 15 so far, but I just want to make sure I have these new rules right...

The new rule on addiction is: You test for addiction at the beginning of every mission, at the end of any mission you use it and after any refresh of edge.

So suppose I'm addicted to psyche (Addiction rating 6, threshold 2) and it's been 1 week of downtime since the last mission.
 - I test for my addiction at the beginning of a mission at threshold 1 (2 - 1 week downtime).
 - Then if the addicted character uses, they also test at the end of a mission for a threshold of 2?
 - Will somoene who's not addicted need to make this second test at the full threshold?

1)  Yes
2)  Yes
3)  If a second test comes into play and it's been less than a week, yes.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #5 on: <08-02-16/0333:10> »
...I keep having issues getting Direct Download to work. It pulls up the folder I want to put it in I click "save" but nothing happens.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <09-17-16/2002:28> »

1)  Yes
2)  Yes
3)  If a second test comes into play and it's been less than a week, yes.
...so Leela who has Dr Tate as a contact, gets designer grade Jazz which lowers the threshold by 1 (2 instead of 3). She takes two weeks of downtime to learn and improve a couple skills (marked off on her calendar) thus reducing the threshold for the addiction test to 0.  Would she then even need to make the test at the beginning of the mission as well as every 8 hours of rest (provided she didn't take the drug again yet)?
Forsaken daughter is watching you