NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1140 on: <01-17-19/1123:45> »
When I last asked re a dwarf or elf book, Jason didn’t rule them out, but also indicated that they were not on the schedule.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1141 on: <01-17-19/1248:40> »
Which is exactly the state I expected them to be in :)

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #1142 on: <01-17-19/2315:49> »
Strange. IMO, there's just as much stuff to talk about elves and dwarves as about trolls and orks. I get that the later two has the whole oppressed minority/underdog angle and the first two don't (at least to a lesser extent for dwarves and a very different kind of prejudice for elves). I'd like to see that book, because Complete Trog was good, but at this point, the edition somehow feels quite trog-heavy, or trog-focused. I don't have any problem with trog-centered material, on the contrary, but I'd like to see the others being updated, fleshed out and their place in the world and stories advancing too.

Though, okay, Elves tend to get some minor updates when magic stuff comes up in the books, from a point of view.
If nothing worked, let's think!

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #1143 on: <01-18-19/0728:37> »
4th Edition got an Updated Core Rule book for the 20th Anniversary. Anything like that planned?

IMO, 5th Edition could need this more right now than 4th Edition needed it back then. There´s a lot of problems in 5th Editions core rules that are echoing through the past years, and errata can only do so much right now. Very often, the flak directed at the supplements is actually about balancing issues and/or ambiguities in the core rules which people hoped to get "fixed" by the supplements.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1144 on: <01-19-19/0935:02> »
While I don't disagree, given that they just released a print run last summer, not sure a "5.5" is likely.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1145 on: <01-20-19/1829:43> »
Strange. IMO, there's just as much stuff to talk about elves and dwarves as about trolls and orks. I get that the later two has the whole oppressed minority/underdog angle and the first two don't (at least to a lesser extent for dwarves and a very different kind of prejudice for elves). I'd like to see that book, because Complete Trog was good, but at this point, the edition somehow feels quite trog-heavy, or trog-focused. I don't have any problem with trog-centered material, on the contrary, but I'd like to see the others being updated, fleshed out and their place in the world and stories advancing too.

Though, okay, Elves tend to get some minor updates when magic stuff comes up in the books, from a point of view.

There's plenty to talk about, sure.  Problem is in the sales numbers.  I don't know how Trog did, but I know it was a bit of an experiment, to see how well a book like that would sell.

At the end of the day, that's ultimately one of two issues with any book, the other being "Do we have a writer who can/will do this justice?"

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1146 on: <01-20-19/2118:22> »
Also, the elf stuff tends to get lumped in with anything involving the Tirs.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1147 on: <01-21-19/0914:12> »
Also, the elf stuff tends to get lumped in with anything involving the Tirs.

In general it feels like general elf life and culture gets ignored in favour of the shenanigans of the immortal elves, fae courts, and a handful of other very powerful elven leaders.

One thing that elves and dwarves have in common, the effects of which should be coming into play more significantly by now, is long lives.  The first UGE babies would be old enough to retire, if anyone offers pensions at age 65 in in the ShadowRun world. 
- What legal and contract changes have been put in place to address their long life spans?
- They are still effectively physically young, but how do they feel about a constantly changing world? 
- Is there a lot of them moving to 2nd and 3rd careers? 
- Are they beginning to be over-represented in upper management between favorable racial traits (willpower, charisma) and long careers (a human at age 60 who hasn't made top management is probably not so likely to get promoted at that point, but an elf or dwarf might)? 
- Are they getting more clannish, as their non-long-lived age peers age (and start dying off) and generally start having very different life experiences?
- What has the birth rate of these races ended up being like?

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1148 on: <01-21-19/0936:11> »
These are all very good questions, with no easy answer for some of them
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1149 on: <01-21-19/1515:16> »
The legal ramifications are staggering, and it's only around now that it's become a practical issue that needs to be addressed. I could fill a book with them just within the framework of the UCAS and CAS and some corporations, and may have over my collected emails, notes, drafts, etc. The problem is to make it interesting and make it useful. Otherwise it's just mental masturbation in the guise of world-building.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1150 on: <01-21-19/1540:29> »
@CrimsonDude for sure the writing challenge is not to discuss and define all of that, it is compress it to actionable, provoking, and/or interesting content, including some twists that are more than simple extrapolations -- and then maybe most key, taking some of the ramifications to lead people to interesting shadowrun opportunities that may not have occurred to people before.

Like, sure it is easy to see that laws and contracts are going to get changed, because nobody is going to want to pay a pension or old age support payments for decades to centuries.  But maybe some corp couldn't get out of its obligations easily but didn't have things inflation protected, so has been churning out corporate script to lead to inflation in their internal economy (essentially deflating their corp script versus nuyen), with the result that those pensions are rapidly losing value.  And in turn that is causing various types of turmoil, with runs of various sorts, impacts on certain security situations, etc. 

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #1151 on: <01-23-19/1809:50> »
With No Future and "Chicago Chaos" out, this leaves indeed:

• Neo Anarchist's Encyclopedia (coming next AFAIK)
  • 10 AI's (eBook announced a long time and content ready also for a long time ago)

According to the add in No Future the name has been changed to Neo Anarchist Streetpedia

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1152 on: <02-09-19/2158:11> »
There are a few other books that haven't been announced to my knowledge so I won't name drop, but the Neo-A 'pedia is keen.

Looking forward to more!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1153 on: <02-11-19/1025:15> »
Tease!! :P ;D ;D

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1154 on: <03-11-19/1235:34> »
With No Future and "Chicago Chaos" out, this leaves indeed:

• Neo Anarchist's Encyclopedia (coming next AFAIK)
  • 10 AI's (eBook announced a long time and content ready also for a long time ago)

It has been a while since we had new news.  Any titles that can be added to this, or any guidance on timelines on the Neo-A book?