Catalyst Game Labs > Errata

active skillsofts

<< < (9/9)

Walks Through Walls:
I think the issue is that as some one stated above that now skills can be bought, and karma spent on them.

Yes skillwires takes essence for the initial system, but after that money buys skills. If you buy the skills that only matter if you succeed not how many successes and have a decent stat to go with it you can literally become a jack(or Jill) of all trades. Then you spend your karma on the skills where the number of successes matter and you are suddenly able to increase your characters scope.

Or better yet spend the karma on your attributes so that even with only a level 4 skill you are around 8-10 dice and presto you have power.

The other problem that cheap activesofts creates is the oh we need this skill for the job run down to the local Radio Hack and buy the skillsoft and add in my attribute that I max out and I am suddenly as good at it as your average person in the field. They have skill I have the raw attribute

Another option is buy the activesofts for skills that you can't default on.

I'm not saying the high price was the right way to try and solve the problem, but I think these are some of the reasons behind the price increase

DarkLloyd:

--- Quote from: Walks Through Walls on ---Yes skillwires takes essence for the initial system, but after that money buys skills. If you buy the skills that only matter if you succeed not how many successes and have a decent stat to go with it you can literally become a jack(or Jill) of all trades. Then you spend your karma on the skills where the number of successes matter and you are suddenly able to increase your characters scope.
--- End quote ---

Sooo, you want More min/maxed monsters that are good at just one thing? So when one or two of your players don't show up to a game it has to be called because the needed skills are no longer there?!! Interesting.

--- Quote ---Or better yet spend the karma on your attributes so that even with only a level 4 skill you are around 8-10 dice and presto you have power.
--- End quote ---

10 dice is an average of 3 to 4(maybe) sucsesses. That is Power to Only the Basest of NPCs.

--- Quote ---The other problem that cheap activesofts creates is the oh we need this skill for the job run down to the local Radio Hack and buy the skillsoft and add in my attribute that I max out and I am suddenly as good at it as your average person in the field. They have skill I have the raw attribute.
--- End quote ---

Which is Exactly why they were created by the Corps in the first place.... A Cheap labor force. It changed the face of the sixth world, read Unwired.

--- Quote ---Another option is buy the activesofts for skills that you can't default on.
--- End quote ---

Uhm, Yeah. That's kind of the point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version