NEWS

So, Season 5 - 5th Ed. or 4th Ed?

• 28 Replies

AceFace

« on: <12-26-12/1538:50> »
Hello,

So Season 5 will be due to launch at some point in 2013, but has there been any word on whether it'll be geared use 4th ed. or 5th ed. rules? I suppose, depending on how close 5th is to 4th, it might be written to work with both?

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-26-12/2216:08> »
your guess is as good as anyone else's

If memory serves me, part way through season 2 it switched from 3rd to 4th.

Best I can find out, 5th will come out during the summer, most likely revealed during Origins, DragonCon, and/ or Gencon itself or all 3

5th season is suppose to start within a few months. I am waiting for SRM04-12 to come out

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-26-12/2327:55> »
Season 2 (Denver) was SR4 throughout.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-27-12/0822:23> »
thanks.

then what season was it that editions changed?must have been first. I remember a change during a season, or maybe I just came into the season late

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <12-27-12/1632:18> »
Couple notes...

1)  Season 5 will be 5th Edition.  One of the reasons details have been so sparse is I wanted to wait until 5th ed was announced to talk about it.

2)  Season 5 will launch to coincide with the release of SR5.

3)  SRM 04-12 is not the last mission in Season 4.  It's just the final mission in the planned story-arcs.  The remaining missions in Season 4 will be set in Seattle still.

Bull

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-27-12/1949:39> »
so, how many more missions before the big change?

on prime runner wannabes, do you forsee a problem converting from 4th to 5th, or should players go all out to bust the 150 cap and send their characters in for prime runner status?

Yes,  i understand that is a FAQ, I just like to be able to tell my players whether to max out their characters now, or be ready to convert/ keep playing in the new season.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-28-12/0132:47> »
We're going to try and do two things going into Season 5.

1)  Season 5 Characters

New city.  New game edition.  New characters.  We're still debating on the specifics, but I think we're going to largely start everyone on a level playing field.  So no straight conversions of characters to SR5. 

There are a LOT of reasons for doing this, but one of the biggest is that even if we did allow players to port characters over, a lot of gear, rules, and even PC races that are being played won't be available for quite some time.  Even with the most aggressive schedule possible, it would likely be at least a year, probably 2 or even longer before all of the various gear and stuff from SR4 saw publication in an SR5 book, meaning that they wouldn't be legal to use in Missions until then.

Plus even with the karma cap that we went with going into Season 4, we still had a lot of players who kinda cheesed the cap, starting Season 4 with 100+ karma, putting some characters that play the convention games regularly well over 300.

2)  Prime Missions. 

Long Talked about, but various delays prevents them from coming to fruition (writers dropping out of projects, mostly.  I've been cursed with these).  These Missions won;t be published as often as Season 5 ones, but will hopefully we'll be able to do 4 or so a year.  Season 4 characters will be able to transfer to Prime Runner games (Though you'll have to rebuild the character from scratch, and deal with the limitations of only a core book to start with).  So your Season 4 characters won't be lost, they just move into a new tax bracket.

It's not ideal, but dealing with Seasonal transitions and a new game Edition is never ideal.  There are always problems, and hopefully these will allow for the smoothest transition and will help make certain that everyone is starting at the same general play level.

Bull

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-28-12/1330:21> »
thank you

AceFace

« Reply #8 on: <12-28-12/1338:14> »
Thanks for the honesty Bull. My group have only just started Season 4, so we'll be busy for a while yet. I guess by the time we're ready to make a decision regarding Season 5, the dust will have settled a bit.

Ryushiroi

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-04-13/1824:19> »
Great...

::looks at pile of characters already created for 4th edition::

This is going to be... interesting.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #10 on: <01-05-13/1436:11> »
Plus even with the karma cap that we went with going into Season 4, we still had a lot of players who kinda cheesed the cap, starting Season 4 with 100+ karma, putting some characters that play the convention games regularly well over 300.

Um.

<looks around guiltily>

Old Man Jones may or may not have achieved the Legendary tag a little while ago. Possibly.

<hides>

-k

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-07-13/1358:44> »
It's ok Karma.  I like that characters do that.

But, we also have to reset the playing field every now and then, so new players don't feel completely left out. 

I promise we WILL have Prime Missions for Old Man Jones though :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <01-07-13/2046:08> »
Unless there's a Shadowrun that sticks him in the Old 'Runner's Home.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-07-13/2053:21> »
Unless there's a Shadowrun that sticks him in the Old 'Runner's Home.  ;D