NEWS

Bricked Cyberware

• 8 Replies

SDTroll

• Newb
« on: <11-23-19/2103:18> »
Is there a reason cyberware other than a commlink or cyberdeck that gets bricked doesn’t do damage to you? It seems like having your cyber eyes or your wired reflexes start sparking and smoking would be pretty damaging.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-23-19/2136:18> »
Maybe so, but cyberware hardly needs nerfing in comparison to bioware or magic.

I suppose you could reconcile the inconsistency as commlinks/cyberdecks/cyberjacks being more intimately connected to your delicate brainy bits than other cyberware.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-23-19/2205:46> »
Maybe so, but cyberware hardly needs nerfing in comparison to bioware or magic.

I suppose you could reconcile the inconsistency as commlinks/cyberdecks/cyberjacks being more intimately connected to your delicate brainy bits than other cyberware.

Although cyber jacks don’t do any damage either.

I wonder if you could brick a cortex bomb to keep it from exploding

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-23-19/2217:00> »

I wouldn't think it'd be that easy.  There'd probably be a failsafe where if the trigger can't talk to the cyberware, it goes off anyway.  Maybe even if the bomb can't talk to the matrix at large... never jam a bomb unless you KNOW it's not listening for a keep-alive signal...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-23-19/2254:00> »

I wouldn't think it'd be that easy.  There'd probably be a failsafe where if the trigger can't talk to the cyberware, it goes off anyway.  Maybe even if the bomb can't talk to the matrix at large... never jam a bomb unless you KNOW it's not listening for a keep-alive signal...

Unless it’s your enemy’s cortex bomb. Fun way to assassinate a target

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-24-19/0250:53> »
The goal of having cyberware be hackable, and thus potentially bricked, is to have people actually choose to have cyberware and to have the wireless on so that it can be hacked.

Because of that, the consequences of your cyberware getting hacked can't be harsh enough to dissuade people from letting it be possible. That's why this version of the game cut back the downsides, such as by removing repair costs, not having damage be dealt on top of losing access to the ware, and not having "bricked" mean needing replacement rather than repair.

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-24-19/0707:35> »
The goal of having cyberware be hackable, and thus potentially bricked, is to have people actually choose to have cyberware and to have the wireless on so that it can be hacked.

Because of that, the consequences of your cyberware getting hacked can't be harsh enough to dissuade people from letting it be possible. That's why this version of the game cut back the downsides, such as by removing repair costs, not having damage be dealt on top of losing access to the ware, and not having "bricked" mean needing replacement rather than repair.

That makes sense. I just think it’s funny that there is damage from a two pieces of cyberware, but not from anything else. I assume the idea was to discourage the use of implanted commlinks and cyberdecks, even though they don’t do the same thing any more.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-24-19/0808:38> »
Note that if you rule that the actual cyberdeck is 'cyberware' then it would also be rules legal to get a 'used' grade Internal Fairlight Excalibur for a little less than 208k¥  ;-)

The general consensus in the previous edition was that the 'cyberware' in this case was just the 5,000¥ placeholder / interface / case / slot (or whatever you wish to call it). That with 'used' grade it was only this piece of 'cyberware' that would get a reduced cost (not the actual cyberdeck). And if you brick this you would not take any extra damage (just as you would not take any extra damage when bricking a datajack any any other piece of 'cyberware').
« Last Edit: <11-24-19/0813:09> by Xenon »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-24-19/1114:25> »
Note that if you rule that the actual cyberdeck is 'cyberware' then it would also be rules legal to get a 'used' grade Internal Fairlight Excalibur for a little less than 208k¥  ;-)

The general consensus in the previous edition was that the 'cyberware' in this case was just the 5,000¥ placeholder / interface / case / slot (or whatever you wish to call it). That with 'used' grade it was only this piece of 'cyberware' that would get a reduced cost (not the actual cyberdeck). And if you brick this you would not take any extra damage (just as you would not take any extra damage when bricking a datajack any any other piece of 'cyberware').

Hmm. That's a very interesting point.