NEWS

[6e] Accessing the matrix Cyberjack, Cyberdecks and Commlink

• 73 Replies

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <09-05-19/1509:52> »
Wow.  That actually explains a lot.  Thank you.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #31 on: <09-07-19/2234:38> »
see that's kind of the problem, it's more author by committee ... the primary reason the 6E CRB is so vague and contradictory about device limits is because I didn't include any in the first place, and I can only provide you insight on what I did write and what I intended for it to do.

Can we just have you to rewrite CRB6?

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #32 on: <10-20-19/0604:34> »
What about using a commlink's attributes for attack and sleaze? The book says this is a thing, but the way decks, jacks and links are written this seems wrong.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-20-19/0858:17> »
What about using a commlink's attributes for attack and sleaze? The book says this is a thing, but the way decks, jacks and links are written this seems wrong.

The intent is that you can only swap A and S back and forth, or only D and F back and forth.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-20-19/1054:34> »

The intent is that you can only swap A and S back and forth, or only D and F back and forth.
Which isn't clear from the rules in the book, but was clarified by the author of the Matrix chapter; he goes by Banshee here on the forums, and he's got lots of great insights posted in various threads.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <10-20-19/1211:28> »
Not even if you have both a cyberjack and a cyberdeck?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <10-20-19/1228:50> »
Not even if you have both a cyberjack and a cyberdeck?

Correct.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <10-20-19/1455:22> »
Actually, iirc, Banshee noted he INTENDED for it to be A<->S and D<->F but he lamented that CRB currently suggests it's free game between all four attributes. I do expect that to be either errataed or houseruled out, though, so I wouldn't depend on that for a build.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #38 on: <10-20-19/1553:06> »
Actually, iirc, Banshee noted he INTENDED for it to be A<->S and D<->F but he lamented that CRB currently suggests it's free game between all four attributes. I do expect that to be either errataed or houseruled out, though, so I wouldn't depend on that for a build.
Note also that it’s definitely neither an error or an oversight in the rules. It’s not “suggested“ - the rules explicitly state that stats can be freely exchanged in more than one place. So it’s equally possible it won’t get officially changed, as that’s a definite decision someone made that presumably overruled Banshee’s take. 

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <10-20-19/2044:24> »
Note also that it’s definitely neither an error or an oversight in the rules. It’s not “suggested“ - the rules explicitly state that stats can be freely exchanged in more than one place. So it’s equally possible it won’t get officially changed, as that’s a definite decision someone made that presumably overruled Banshee’s take. 

Not necessarily, I thought the intent of the wording might have been swap A for S and swap D for F, presumably others did too. What the book lacks is clarity, and that may be unintentional. Especially since, if it is free reign, i don't see why you 'need' a deck at all...

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <10-20-19/2045:39> »

Not necessarily, I thought the intent of the wording might have been swap A for S and swap D for F, presumably others did too. What the book lacks is clarity, and that may be unintentional. Especially since, if it is free reign, i don't see why you 'need' a deck at all...

Yeah. Just get two used Cyberjacks, and you'd be a decker on the really cheap.

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <10-20-19/2107:24> »
Or a commlink and be a really crappy decker on the really really cheap

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <10-21-19/0035:41> »
Yeah. Just get two used Cyberjacks, and you'd be a decker on the really cheap.
Or four commlinks for a 3/3/3/3 array.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <10-21-19/0052:33> »
And while the rules CAN be read that way, I don't think anyone actually believes the intent is that you should be able to hack by juggling 4 commlinks :D

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #44 on: <10-21-19/0104:32> »
Eh, if a player has good enough athletics to literally juggle them... :P