NEWS

GenCon 2014

• 15 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <05-18-14/1657:06> »
GenCon registration went live today, and people snapped up Shadowrun events quickly!  I don't see a single Welcome to the Sixth World slot remaining, and the other Shadowrun Missions events are about full as well (I saw two events left with one slot each).

So, did people get the events they wanted?

Chance

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-18-14/1933:09> »
I didn't get anything I wanted in Shadowrun which sucks since my group was hoping to play together a couple of times when we were there. I got booted off the system though and by the time I made it back, virtually everything was sold out.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <05-18-14/2055:36> »
Get generic tickets and head to the Shadowrun area in years past we had extra GM's on sight to handle just such occasions.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Chance

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-18-14/2216:12> »
Even for the 2round tournament?  I had it #1 and still busted!

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-18-14/2225:18> »
I got into the LARP, and I'm considering whether to try to get into a Welcome to the Sixth World game with generics.  The thing that makes me hesitate is that I'll have my 11 year old daughter with me, and the game is marked as Teen (13+).  I've heard of others taking 10 and 11 year olds to the same event, but I want to make sure she'd be welcome and not annoy anyone who doesn't want to play with a pre-teen.

Sartredes

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-18-14/2318:24> »
I got lucky with my queue number and got the four SRM 5B-XX missions I had in my wish list. I'm looking forward to it. Gen Con is pretty much the only time I get to play Shadowrun each year, so getting a decent number of missions in is great.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #6 on: <05-19-14/0523:37> »
Even for the 2round tournament?  I had it #1 and still busted!

Yes, even for the tournament.  In past years, sold-out events have sometimes had a few no-shows.  And occasionally someone returns their tickets...don't count on it, but there's a small chance.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: <05-19-14/1020:46> »
I got into the LARP, and I'm considering whether to try to get into a Welcome to the Sixth World game with generics.  The thing that makes me hesitate is that I'll have my 11 year old daughter with me, and the game is marked as Teen (13+).  I've heard of others taking 10 and 11 year olds to the same event, but I want to make sure she'd be welcome and not annoy anyone who doesn't want to play with a pre-teen.

I've run events at conventions for younger players and its not that difficult to adjust the setting for them. I have no doubt they would be welcome but check with the demo agents to make sure we can find the best placement/table for them. As we've said in the past: we don't turn anyone away.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-19-14/1034:02> »
Even though we do not want to turn anyone away, we have to abide by the age restrictions at the big conventions.  Failure to adhere to those could get us (the CDT) in big trouble.

We have had discussions about creating special Shadowrun junior events targeted at our younger audiences, but those are still in discussion.

Now, for a Welcome to the Sixth World event, please come see me at the CDT RPG HQ and we will work out something to get our young players involved.  We definitely want to start our next generation of fans.

I cannot and will not make this offer for regular SRMs or CMPs.  Sorry!
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

hughnme

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-21-14/0719:58> »
Get generic tickets and head to the Shadowrun area in years past we had extra GM's on sight to handle just such occasions.

Hi all,

I'm hoping this will be the case,I wanted to to play the "Welcome to the Sixth World" and didn't get in.I'm coming all the way from Melbourne Australia to play,will I get a session if I say how far I've traveled?
I know..I'm just a nobody Aussie,still it doesn't hurt to ask.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <05-21-14/1706:34> »

Hi all,

I'm hoping this will be the case,I wanted to to play the "Welcome to the Sixth World" and didn't get in.I'm coming all the way from Melbourne Australia to play,will I get a session if I say how far I've traveled?

Just find Ray the guy wearing the goofy hat, when in doubt yell Hay Ray. No seriously pop in the early and stay late get more then just a welcome. The crew is amazing at making sure people get to play and have some fun.

deville

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-21-14/2125:34> »
I'm in the Saturday 4:00 SRM game and really looking forward to it. Just out of curiosity besides, of course, the usual dice, paper, etc. are there any other materials we need to bring? I'd hate to get there and find out I was expected to bring my Roomsweeper :)

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-21-14/2254:08> »
I'm in the Saturday 4:00 SRM game and really looking forward to it. Just out of curiosity besides, of course, the usual dice, paper, etc. are there any other materials we need to bring? I'd hate to get there and find out I was expected to bring my Roomsweeper :)

You can download the season 5 prep files and make a missions legal character, or try and jump into a welcome to the sixth world to make one (assuming this is not a welcome) or we will have pregens to select from.

hughnme

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-22-14/0653:26> »
Awesome!

Is that the " Good Ray" I hear so much about?

You'll be able to tell  its me,I'll be the one without a funny accent.    :) :)

Hi all,

Just find Ray the guy wearing the goofy hat, when in doubt yell Hay Ray. No seriously pop in the early and stay late get more then just a welcome. The crew is amazing at making sure people get to play and have some fun.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-22-14/1127:05> »
You'll be able to tell  its me,I'll be the one without a funny accent.

It's a global event, accents will be abound.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015