NEWS

Any translation plan re original German material?

• 6 Replies

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« on: <03-01-17/1806:56> »
I was looking through Deviantart and saw some art for what appears to be a German language-only SR5 book on Germany.  Are there any plans to put out an English language version?
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <03-01-17/1942:01> »
The short answer is......no.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-02-17/0909:18> »
To my knowledge, the last time something was translated from German to English, was the Germany Guidebook, back in the late 80's/90's. The France sourcebook (late 90's) was never translated, neither has been any of the numerous German sourcebook (like München Noir or Berlin 2074). It's a shame, because they are good book generally, and pegasus press is doing an amazing job (IMHO) - even the translated version of the English sourcebook have some nice added value (ex: "Boston Spreerzone" includes some much needed maps of Boston).

That being said, you can buy the PDFs files and using a translating tool online to go through the material. It is somewhat approximative (to say the least) but with a decent Shadowrun lore knowledge, you can get the jest of it.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #3 on: <03-02-17/0915:05> »
The France sourcebook (late 90's) was never translated

It was not canonical, and was pretty bad anyway. Shadows of Europe took the best ideas and did something much better with them.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mephisto

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-03-17/2336:01> »
My Ghost! I'd LOVE to see the Pegasus stuff in English! They're hella cheaper, too!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-04-17/2017:51> »
Yep, France was not the best guide outhere (but certainly beat Tir Na Nog, for instance). I had no idea it was not canonical. Didn't the french publisher (Jeux Descartes) discussed it with Fasa at the time ? How do you know it was not canonical ?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #6 on: <03-05-17/1008:56> »
Yep, France was not the best guide outhere (but certainly beat Tir Na Nog, for instance). I had no idea it was not canonical. Didn't the french publisher (Jeux Descartes) discussed it with Fasa at the time ? How do you know it was not canonical ?

From what I've heard from people involved with the book at the time Descartes FASA never approved its contents. My understanding is that FASA let local publishers publish books tailored for their customers (same happened in Germany, Japan...), but these books were considered non-canonical until FASA said otherwise.
The non-canonical status of the book is also mentioned on the fan-made French SR wiki as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)