NEWS

6e Play/Stress Test

• 154 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-27-19/0052:36> »
Yeah, basically.

I'd like to see it only give like 2 karma/level.

Yeah, people would just take other negative qualities to get the same amount of bonus karma... But there'd actually be an impact that comes into play for things like allergies, prejudices, or ghost forbid edge denial. No reason to take any of those so long as you can get all the bonus karma you need for no impact.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <08-27-19/0056:53> »
4 karma per level, 1 attribute max, maximum -3 for 12 karma, augmented maximum for said attribute becomes +0 instead (so no boosts whatsoever to it), cannot earn or spend Edge on any tests involving said attribute? (A bit too strict perhaps.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #17 on: <08-27-19/0202:17> »
4 karma per level, 1 attribute max, maximum -3 for 12 karma, augmented maximum for said attribute becomes +0 instead (so no boosts whatsoever to it), cannot earn or spend Edge on any tests involving said attribute? (A bit too strict perhaps.)
Maybe too harsh... maybe not though. Not being able to spend Edge on it is interesting and sounds good to me. It guards against the scenario where (say) the samurai takes impaired Charisma but on the rare occasion where they have to pass a Con check they throw fistfulls of Edge at the roll.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <08-27-19/0252:20> »
I'd probably put the no-Edge limit at second level, not at first. And of course no stacking with other Edge-restricting negative qualities, so if Impaired Charisma is allowed, no combining with Uncouth.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-27-19/0345:24> »
I'd probably put the no-Edge limit at second level, not at first.
I could see that. It feels a little bit odd that you get x karma for the first point, which has a list of disadvantages, then you get another x karma for the second point, which comes with all the same disadvantages plus this big extra one in the form of no Edge. But maybe I'm overthinking it.

With all these negatives, maybe 3-karma-per-point is a little low though?

And of course no stacking with other Edge-restricting negative qualities, so if Impaired Charisma is allowed, no combining with Uncouth.
Ah! I didn't think of that, but I see this is not your first horsey-lasso-capture thing.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <08-27-19/0742:55> »
Or capping it at only 2 levels taken and only a single attribute?

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <08-27-19/0748:42> »
Or capping it at only 2 levels taken and only a single attribute?
My take is: a negative Quality should be an interesting choice, in the sense that it should be something where the player has to judge return (karma gained) versus investment (whatever negative effects will happen, either mechanically or in the fiction.) For that, it has to have some negative effects... A cap like this limits how much karma you can get from it, but it doesn't make it any more interesting/difficult a decision for the player, because it still remains almost completely harmless to them. Whereas MC's approach makes the downsides of taking Impaired Attribute bite a bit more. That's why I prefer that approach.
« Last Edit: <08-27-19/0756:12> by penllawen »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-27-19/0753:01> »
I'd probably put the no-Edge limit at second level, not at first. And of course no stacking with other Edge-restricting negative qualities, so if Impaired Charisma is allowed, no combining with Uncouth.

At 4 a level assuming there was a cap of 2-3 that might work. Uncouth is a 6 point NQ and this is a marginally bigger flaw.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #23 on: <08-27-19/0800:45> »
I'm surprise that no-one in your group choose to go "Anticipation of Doom" build.

So the player of Collateral was intending to build towards edge generation to do it with grenades for maximum abuse, but then realized at most he could only get off two attacks with them due to how they are drawn/readied. That said, both he and Cage are capable of it on an opening round, so it might still come up. We'll see!

As for impaired attribute I think limiting it to one instance, like exceptional attribute, would be sufficient. It will still be the no brainer pick, but there are always no brainer picks for every game with merits and flaws options.
« Last Edit: <08-27-19/0810:25> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-27-19/1302:31> »
Well 5E's "Everything has a price" approach tried to do away with no-brainer options. Looks like some of them are back.

Impaired Attribute will need to be curbed somehow. My first thought is to make every rank of it count as a separate quality vs. the "six total qualities" limit. So if Cage wants Impaired Logic 4, fine, but that's 4 of his 6 qualities. The opportunity cost becomes the balancing factor.

I only got the book yesterday so I'm not sure how metatype qualities (Dermal Deposits, Built Tough) factor into the "six total qualities" limit. Usually I would say they don't apply to the limit, but some of the qualities are upgradable (e.g. Built Tough).

Does a rating 13 injection arrow function as intended (i.e. successfully inject its toxin) if it rips right through the middle of the target like a cannonball?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-27-19/1626:27> »

Does a rating 13 injection arrow function as intended (i.e. successfully inject its toxin) if it rips right through the middle of the target like a cannonball?

It does if the Wireless is turned on.    :P

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #26 on: <08-28-19/1251:08> »

It does if the Wireless is turned on.    :P

This makes me feel like a straight-line piercing overkill rule would be fun.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <08-28-19/1252:13> »
AoE Control Actions spell first to make the goons line up...

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <08-29-19/1502:54> »
Looking forward to hear about your playtest.

Did you create the characters, or did the players? I got the impression from your initial posts that it was the players themselves.  Yet their characters feel very much alike. Choice of attribute spread and choice of qualities.

Regarding the impaired attribute quality ( and likely some others as well) I would personally be more comfortable if they were just banned completely, and the players got a nice karma boost to start with as compensation.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #29 on: <08-29-19/1654:02> »
All player made. This particular group of people (myself included if I was on the PC side) just has a very similar build and play style, which was why I asked them for for help with my stress test.