NEWS

Spell Resistance

• 10 Replies

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« on: <11-07-10/1542:27> »
In last nights game it was questioned as to how one restsists a spell.

NON-magical get a will power save ok that I got.

IF there is a magical type that has counterspelling and has said s/he's useing it on the non-magical they add in what ever dice the counterspelling test yeilded as well I belive this is correct?

Magical types roll counterspelling and willpower always (again provided the magial person took counterspelling) however magicaltypes rolling for them selves roll counterspelling everytime? Or just the one time same as when they are protecting non-magicals?

You roll a counterspelling test target is 5 successes you roll you get 4 the spell goes off at force +1 now you roll to resist damage right?

Ok those are the questions I have for now so lets hear your thoughts. Yes I have the books an I've played the game off an on for 20 + years no I just don't think I get how SR4a is trying to work this.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-07-10/1552:16> »
You roll your willpower + counterspelling dicepool(if you have one or someone else is providing one for you)
Thats pretty much it.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <11-07-10/1636:22> »
Mundane: Willpower alone
Mundane protected by a Mage's Counterspelling: Willpower + Counterspelling
Mage: Willpower + Counterspelling
Mage w/Magic Resistance Quality: Willpower + Counterspelling + # Levels of Quality

Quote from: SR4A, p. 185
Spell Defense
A magician can use Counterspelling to defend herself and others against a spell being cast. To do this, the magician must spend a Free Action and declare who she is protecting. If Counterspelling was not declared in advance, it may not be used to defend others, unless the magician has delayed her action (see Delayed Actions, p. 145). A protected character must also stay within the magician’s line of sight in order for Counterspelling to be used. Note that a magician can always use Counterspelling to defend herself, unless surprised.
(emphasis mine)

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-08-10/2055:26> »
It is the willpower attribute assuming it is a mana spell. If it is a physical spell like powerbolt, lightning bolt etc. then it is resisted with the body attribute.

Which is why you always hit the big bad troll with manabolt
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <11-08-10/2154:14> »
@Fastjack:  Is there an ettra out there about magic resistance?  SR4 page 92 says magicians, adepts and mystic adepts cannot have magical resistance.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <11-08-10/2242:17> »
No, that's correct. If you're magically active, you cannot have Magic Resistance. It's a lot like the old "Null Magic"/"Anti-Magic" guys from previous editions.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #6 on: <11-08-10/2354:57> »
Mage w/Magic Resistance Quality: Willpower + Counterspelling + # Levels of Quality

No, that's correct. If you're magically active, you cannot have Magic Resistance. It's a lot like the old "Null Magic"/"Anti-Magic" guys from previous editions.

@FJ: you're silly.

I have an older PDF, and it says that magically active characters can not have magic resistance, but I have an old copy...
So just for the record: which is it please? <3
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <11-09-10/0112:44> »
It's my bad. I'm juggling my Shadowland project, a BT Roster project, NaNoWriMo and looking for a job all at the same time. I hadn't looked up the quality before the first post, but I do have the most up-to-date PDF for SR4A, and it says Magically Active cannot take the quality.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #8 on: <11-09-10/0120:47> »
Cool. Thanks., I have an older version, and it has bitten me in the bum more than once now on the forums... lol

If you find a job that allows you to telecommunte - and has more than one opening - let me know, I've been looking for work for a while now and no dice in my area. :(
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-09-10/0247:48> »
It is the willpower attribute assuming it is a mana spell. If it is a physical spell like powerbolt, lightning bolt etc. then it is resisted with the body attribute.
Actually that lightning bolt is resisted with Reaction(the counterspelling adds to dodge test) ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #10 on: <11-09-10/0625:48> »
Actually that lightning bolt is resisted with Reaction(the counterspelling adds to dodge test) ;)

Max, you're right, but you're also giving the OP a headache for doing so. . .  :P

So, in review:

Resist Direct Mana Spell:
Mundane: Willpower alone
Mundane protected by a Mage's Counterspelling: Willpower + Counterspelling
Mage: Willpower + Counterspelling
Mundane w/Magic Resistance Quality: Willpower + # Levels of Quality
Mundane w/Magic Resistance Quality protected by a Mage's Counterspelling: Willpower + # Levels of Quality + Counterspelling

Resist Direct Physical Spell:
Mundane: Body alone
Mundane protected by a Mage's Counterspelling: Body + Counterspelling
Mundane w/Magic Resistance Quality: Body + # Levels of Quality
Mundane w/Magic Resistance Quality  protected by a Mage's Counterspelling: Body + # Levels of Quality + Counterspelling
Mage: Body + Counterspelling

Indirect Spell:
Spellcasting check is opposed (NOT resisted) as a ranged combat check with the option for counterspelling (but not magic resistance) as presented above. See SR4A, pg 204, and 91 - 92, and long-winded discussion here.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera