NEWS

Hacking cyberware/cyberlimbs

• 14 Replies

Jeeves

• Chummer
« on: <10-28-10/1216:20> »
is it possible to hack cyberware, such as cyberlimbs, retractable blades and so on, and sort of seize control of them? For instance, Thorne has a cyber arm and a cyber leg. could a hacker, (or even a technomancer) hack the device and influence its actions in any way?

I ask because it was my understanding that cyberlimbs were not matrix functional, as in closed circuit devices that only interact with the user via nerve signals and bioelectric comands. Is that the case?

If I'm missing some section of the books where this is explained, please let me know. All I could find in SR4-20A is that cyberlimbs are considered peripheral devices.

On a side note, if cyberlimbs automatically come with matrix functionality, is there a price modifier for buying one that is only connected to the user?

Thanks in advance

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-10/1227:47> »
Quote from: Unwired, p. 90
Hacking Cyberware
     Not all cyberware is hackable, though enough is to make a hacker’s interest worthwhile. To determine if a particular cyber-implant can be hacked, the following criteria must be met (note that these criteria actually apply to almost all devices, not just cyberware):
     First, the cyberware must be computerized—not all implants need a built-in computer. Most cyberware, however is either computerized (or at least equipped with RFID sensor tags) so that it may be queried for diagnostics, controlled remotely or via direct neural interface, or communicate with other implants/devices. See DNI and Wireless Functionality, p. 31, Augmentation.
     Second, the implant must be accessible by the hacker, via wired or wireless connection. Most external implants (like cyberlimbs) only have wired connections, requiring the hacker to physically jack in to access the device. A datajack provides immediate access to all cyberimplants with a direct neural interface. Many internal implants have wireless links to aid medical staff in running diagnostics (like wired reflexes) or to link to other devices (like a smartlink). The Signal rating of internal implants tends to be low (usually 0), meaning that a hacker needs to be in close range. Such implants are often slaved to the character’s commlink, however, so a hacker who infiltrates the master node can access slaved implants (see Slaving, p. 55). Some internal implants (such as cortex bombs) have no wireless or DNI connection and so are isolated from other systems, requiring
surgery to allow a hacker to jack in and access the device.
     If these criteria are met, the hacker can attempt to hack or spoof the implant following normal rules. Device ratings for standard types of cyberware are given on p. 214, SR4. Some implant nodes/transmissions may be encrypted for extra protection, requiring that the hacker decrypt them first (see Encryption, p. 65). Like other devices, cyberware can be manipulated within the limits of its programming and functionality. In most cases, such actions require no test to someone with the proper access privileges. In the case of commands that exceed operational parameters or access privileges, an Opposed Test pitting Command + Hacking Test versus System + Firewall may be required.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-10/0510:40> »
So...yes.

From my experience, it isn't easy.  So it isn't always the best option.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-02-10/1126:50> »
what about a technomancer? would they have a slightly easier time hacking a cyberlimb?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <11-02-10/1138:15> »
Nope. The difference between a Hacker and 'Mancer is simply the How of what they do, the effect isn't any different.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-02-10/1512:30> »
And takes roughly the same amount of time.

From my experience at the table, even with people hugging cover and being sensible, the combat is usually over long before the hacker/technomancer has a chance to hack a single piece of cyber.

This isn't always the case, as once our technomancer actually began the combat looking to hack something:  He chose to hack this guy's smartlink.  Said opponent was in a position to flank the group in the next round, but couldn't do anything because the techno locked the weapon's safety.  Bad guy drew his pistol (was using an assault rifle) so he still had some firepower, but wasn't nearly as threatening without autofire or bursts from his EX-explosive ammo equipped assault rifle.
There is no overkill.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-10/1408:17> »
If you used a HERF gun it would have the same general effect that the hacker is looking for.
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-10/1555:22> »
Expensive and restricted.  While a hacker requires both of those things to function, a technomancer does not.  Also, kind of a special use weapon.  If you start doing major damage to a facility (remember, just cause you aimed it at someone doesn't mean the excess energy just stops there), then a corp is more likely to go after you.

In the middle of a street fight with corpsec or what have you?  Sure, HERF away.  But keep an eye on your backstop.
There is no overkill.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #8 on: <11-06-10/1649:59> »
The way I got it admitted in is my GM gave it a high chance of failure because we assumed my character had developed it and they did not exist outside of his possession. He invented it in our adventure
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <11-08-10/1751:39> »
so then, to hammer the subject further, are cyberlimbs always wireless? I always thgouth they corresponded to nerve signals and such. As in, i didn't think there was any kind of signal to hack other then plugging in, as mentioned earlier.

now, my next question: sprites: can sprites jump into things not connected in any way to the matrix?

is it possible in game terms to have a cyberlimb that isn't connected to the matrix in any way?

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #10 on: <11-08-10/1802:02> »
Going back to the OP's question:

Quote from: Unwired, p. 90
Hacking Cyberware
     . . . Most external implants (like cyberlimbs) only have wired connections, requiring the hacker to physically jack in to access the device. A datajack provides immediate access to all cyberimplants with a direct neural interface. . .

Way I read that line, no, the cyberlimb isn't hackable unless you physically jack into the device via wired connection. And I don't see them putting a jack on the exterior of a cyberlimb, or the guy standing there while you hack his cyberlimb.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-08-10/1855:55> »
There is a way in through his other, wireless, devices.  It is a back door, and might take longer than hacking the limb itself, but it will provide access (since all his cyber is connected via the internal DNI).
There is no overkill.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <11-08-10/1942:48> »
Following the reference in FastJack's quote, we get the following:
Quote from: Augmentation, pg. 31
     Most cyberware comes with an integral direct neural interface, allowing the user to mentally access and control the implant. This is the primary means of control for most cybernetics and requires the implant have a built-in computer.[. . .] Implants that don't require any sort of mental control still come equipped with RFID sensor tags as a mater of course.
     Wireless functionality is complementary to direct neural control, allowing diagnostics checks, connection redundancy in case of damage to the neural relays, software/firmware updates, and non-invasive monitoring of the implant's performance. Almost all cyberware requires careful maintenance and regular checkups, and wireless connectivity is invariably cheaper than cutting someone open just to check on an implant. [. . .]
     Since most implants are computerized to some extent anyway, integrating inexpensive wireless technology is the default option given its usefulness in case the character is ever unconscious, suffering from extreme trauma, or simply wants to have a non-invasive checkup.

This implies anything cyberware with a computer has wi-fi capability, and can be hacked, yes.

Quote from: Unwired, pg. 102
Most external implants (like cyberlimbs) only have wired connections, requiring the hacker to physically jack in to access the device. A datajack provides immediate access to all cyber-implants with a direct neural interface.

This then restricts the previous broad statement, by saying that external implants (including cyberlimbs) are wired straight to the brain and the only option to hack them is via a datajack on the person in question (or a comm-link connected to the datajack, then hacking the cyberlimb).

However, no comm-link into the datajack, no hacky-hacky.

Unwired continues:
Quote from: Unwired, pg. 102
Many internal implants have wireless links to aid medical staff in running diagnostics (like wired reflexes) or to link to other devices (like a smartlink). The signal rating of internal implants tends to be low (usually 0), meaning that a hacker needs to be in close range. Such implants are often slaved to the character's commlink, however, so a hacker who infiltrates the master node can access slaved implants (see Slaving p. 55).

Even in the specific case of wireless internal cyberware, the devices are not always accessible via the comm-link except as a path to establish mutual signal range. And that presumes the runner leaves them operating in something other than hidden mode.

So, yes, your cyberlimbs can be hacked, but it's a bitch because you need access to the person's datajack (IF they have one). All other devices, GM Fiat / Player call whether they are slaved to the commlink.

Side note: page 90 of Unwired (2nd Printing, Corrected) is actually a fluff section on hacking cyberware. The quote FastJack has below is actually from page 102 in the 2nd Printing.

WhiskeyJohnny

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <11-10-10/1723:32> »
Assuming that a cyberlimb can be hacked wirelessly, how close would one have to be to do so?  Within its signal range?

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <11-10-10/1759:48> »
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 224
To connect to a node (aside from the one on which your persona is running), you must subscribe to it. A subscription is a two-way communications link through the Matrix. This is a steady link that can be maintained for extended periods of time. You must subscribe to a node if you want to "travel" to it in the Matrix, which means that you must be able to either connect with it directly (with a wired connection, or when within mutual Signal range) or by establishing a route through the Matrix network.

Therefore, assuming it's wireless, and assuming it's not in Hidden mode (or wi-fi off, for that matter). Then you just need to be within mutual signal range of a device in mutual signal range. . . etc just like any other node on the Matrix. OR, you need to be in mutual signal range (GM's call, I'd always say signal 0, if it mattered).

Of course, odds are, your GM is going to ask you to make a Computer + Analyze Matrix Perception test to see if you can locate the guy's cyber-eye node (Matrix Perception, pg. 228)

If it's in hidden mode, you need to know it's there & locate it as per any other hidden node (Detect Hidden Node, pg. 230). This is where hacking his comm-link and hoping he was dumb enough to have it slaved to that comes in.

By default, as a GM, I'd assume that all cyber-ware is operating in Hidden mode, and probably has a Stealth program loaded gratis of the med-company (with a back-door for their own use, of course).