NEWS

[SR6] MEMS

• 11 Replies

Robert

• Newb
« on: <10-06-20/0202:52> »
Hello,

I am unclear of intended use of MEMS system from Firing Squad .

The decripion reads "MEMS isn‘t an armor system in itself – it‘s a basic harness and a series of secondary add-on attachments to heavier armors (security rated and above).“ This would make you think that it can only be added to heavy armor and thus should be an accessory, not an armor itself. This is also reflected by the "MEMS harness" showing up on the accessory list on page 55. For Genesis we interpreted this in such a way, that an armor needs to have minimum capacity of 10 slots (which you see on all security and military armors) before you can add "MEMS harness" to it.

However, the armor list on page 55 also shows an "MEMS basic harness", which has armor 0 (Not the "MEMS Tactical Armor Vest" which has its own armor rating). This would allow to combine the "MEMS basic harness" with any other armor, e.g. wearing it under a Greatcoat or above an urban explorer overal, which would circumvene the restriction of the "MEMS harness" that it can only be worn on armor above security rated.

In the German version of Firing Squad, this "MEMS basic harness" does not exist as armor (with rating 0), but only as accessory, with the restriction to security armor.

So basically the question is (when you do not want to use the "MEMS Tactical Armor Vest")...
A) Can you combine "MEMS harness" only with armor which has 10 slots or more OR
B) Can you combine "MEMS harness" with any armor, using the "MEMS basic harness" item

I know the typical answer would be "let your game master decide" however we need to code A or B into Genesis.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: <10-06-20/0205:08> by Robert »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-06-20/0233:08> »
The 10 from the rules isn't tied to whatever it gets modded onto, so we cannot depend on that number. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shadowrun6thEdition/permalink/2547251458820980/. However, Security+, combined with that FBA, the vest, Security Armor and all other heavy stuff has 10+ Capacity, so the 10-limit makes sense. The rules are explicit that the harness won't combine with everything, after all, so the Basic Harness is only in the table to annotate the SR and DR impact it has. But might want to ask the writer directly through Facebook.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Robert

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-06-20/1656:08> »
Thank you for the feedback.
Unfortunately I do not have a Facebook account thus cannot join the group nor contact any person there.

I am one of those guys who play a cyber-sam who is 100% offline.  :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-06-20/1708:33> »
I frequently see Genesis info posted on the Facebook group, so maybe fire a PM or mail and let them investigate?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-20/0838:10> »
OK, writer here. The 12/8 is supposed to be the capacity for external things like ammo pouches on the front/back. The 10 is for more internal armor mods such as fire resistance. There was an asterisk next to the 12/8 that explains in my draft. But have no idea of what happened to it.

That is RJ's quote from Facebook regarding the capacity of the MEMS
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-20/0903:36> »
True, but it doesn't help with the 'what is the rule for what can be equipped with the harness'.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-20/1031:46> »
True, but it doesn't help with the 'what is the rule for what can be equipped with the harness'.

Yeah, but I was just passing it on since the OP couldn't view it and that was the only useful bit of information from Facebook.

As for the harness itself... I think the Germans have it right. It just an add on accessory that let's you carry a more efficient load out. I don't think it needs the restriction of security armor only but I do think it can only be worn over other stuff and there is zero concealment (so no wearing it under even a great coat without it being noticeable)
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-07-20/1048:53> »
It kind of makes sense the harness doesn't combine with something that's not sturdy enough for it, and that restriction is explicitly mentioned in the rules.

As for the FB link, I meant it for contacting the writer there.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-07-20/1058:48> »
It kind of makes sense the harness doesn't combine with something that's not sturdy enough for it, and that restriction is explicitly mentioned in the rules.

As for the FB link, I meant it for contacting the writer there.

It does say "security rated and above " in the description text but not in the game information box, so depends on how much credence you put on the description.
Personally having worn such gear ... it's not needed ... it's just a load distribution harness with various quick release attachments and pouches
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« Reply #9 on: <10-12-22/1516:10> »
Sorry to come back to this, but as I was brushing up on rules and reading Firing Squad a bit more, the harness lists capacity as 12/8 what does that mean, it doesn't list what the numbers mean, only one version of the harness.  If anyone can give me a little clarity?
See u in the Matrix!

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-13-22/0911:11> »
OK, writer here. The 12/8 is supposed to be the capacity for external things like ammo pouches on the front/back. The 10 is for more internal armor mods such as fire resistance. There was an asterisk next to the 12/8 that explains in my draft. But have no idea of what happened to it.

That is RJ's quote from Facebook regarding the capacity of the MEMS

See upthread ^^^  12 for the front, 8 for the back.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <05-04-23/1245:52> »
How many magazines can the Small and Large MEMS ammo pouches carry?