NEWS

Forbidden Arcana Errata

• 74 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #60 on: <02-02-18/0127:50> »
Also what is the point with the Shaman tag on Chain Breaker and the “read description” on requirements? There isn’t any skill requirements in my PDF at all.

You are correct that the [Shaman] tag is somewhat unnecessary since there are no skill requirements. It does, however, indicate that the quality is "related" to Shamans (in the sense that Shamans might be more likely to take it).

The "read description" for the requirements is referring to the text in the description that talks about the character forfeiting the using of the Binding skill. That is the "requirement" in place of a skill or an ability.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #61 on: <02-02-18/0139:56> »
Thank you kindly for the explanation.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <02-04-18/1759:20> »
Do the Dedicated Spellslinger and Dedicated Conjurer mastery qualities block access to rituals and alchemy? If not, can the free spells and discount from Dedicated Spellslinger be applied to those categories as well?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #63 on: <02-04-18/1836:42> »
Dedicated Spellslinger probably can't be used to get rituals and preparations, as the free spells you get are based on your Spellcasting skill--  It wouldn't make sense to get a new Preparation to use with Alchemy or ritual for Ritual Spellcasting for improving your Spellcasting.

That said, Dedicated Spellslinger only blocks access to Summoning and Binding skills, not anything in the Enchanting group (or Banishing), so there's an argument to be made.  I could bring it up with the errata team.  Dedicated Conjurer, by the way, only blocks Spellcasting, not the whole Sorcery group, and again doesn't touch Enchanting.  Unfortunately since these don't really do enough to justify the sacrifice, I doubt many Full Magicians will be getting them.  Extra spirit types just isn't worth total loss of Sorcery, even with Alchemy still available, IMO.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ShadowMaster

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <04-13-18/1538:21> »
Page 68: Norse Magician Rules (Godi/Runemaster) states
Durable Preparations: Increase the preparation’s
potency by x3 instead of x2. Double
the time it takes to lose potency.

What exactly does this mean? Is it supposed to be saying that the character with this tradition gets the quality of the same name?
There is no x2 for potency except for calculating the time before the potency starts to decrease, which makes the last sentence odd.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <08-07-18/1244:07> »
Does taking the Dedicated Spellslinger Mastery increase the limit of spells you can start with or are you still limited to "Magic x 2" ?

Priority A Mage: 10 free spells
6 ranks in Spellcasting: 6 more spells

would make 16 spells, but Magic 6 limits you to 12.

Which one is it?

Keep in mind that Masteries are not doubled during play. So I could just save up 7 karma to take with me into the game, use the first 3 I earn to buy the Mastery, and boom 6 extra spells. Feels weird if this would work so much differently during char gen.
« Last Edit: <08-07-18/1307:52> by Quatar »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #66 on: <08-07-18/1444:32> »
Does taking the Dedicated Spellslinger Mastery increase the limit of spells you can start with or are you still limited to "Magic x 2" ?

Which one is it?

Keep in mind that Masteries are not doubled during play. So I could just save up 7 karma to take with me into the game, use the first 3 I earn to buy the Mastery, and boom 6 extra spells. Feels weird if this would work so much differently during char gen.
Remember that free spell slots can be spent on spells, rituals and alchemical preparation formulae. So you could spread your 16 out.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <08-07-18/1812:59> »

Which one is it?

Remember that free spell slots can be spent on spells, rituals and alchemical preparation formulae. So you could spread your 16 out.
That is absolutely true of course. But I might want to actually have 16 spells, and the method I described works to do just that (It also doesn't take up 10 karma of my 25 positive quality alotment). It's just weird I apparently can't do it just a tiny step before during char gen.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #68 on: <08-07-18/1814:36> »

Which one is it?

That is absolutely true of course. But I might want to actually have 16 spells, and the method I described works to do just that (It also doesn't take up 10 karma of my 25 positive quality alotment). It's just weird I apparently can't do it just a tiny step before during char gen.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Azimuth

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <03-23-19/1449:48> »
No Star Mentor Spirit Listed

Forbidden Arcana Page 75-76

"Cosmic Mages exclusively follow the Sun, Moon, or Star mentor spirits."

There is no mention of a Star mentor Spirit in any of the books, from what I've found.
« Last Edit: <03-23-19/1454:17> by Azimuth »

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #70 on: <03-23-19/1545:39> »
Also what is the point with the Shaman tag on Chain Breaker and the “read description” on requirements? There isn’t any skill requirements in my PDF at all.

You are correct that the [Shaman] tag is somewhat unnecessary since there are no skill requirements. It does, however, indicate that the quality is "related" to Shamans (in the sense that Shamans might be more likely to take it).

The "read description" for the requirements is referring to the text in the description that talks about the character forfeiting the using of the Binding skill. That is the "requirement" in place of a skill or an ability.

I always took the "Shaman" tag to mean that only Shaman could take it, v/s all the other different magical traditions.
No Vodoo, no Magician, no Shinto,  no, etc etc etc.
Good to know that isn't the case.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #71 on: <03-23-19/1736:38> »
The starting spell limit is arbitrary, a qualities should supercede it. There no system limit to the number of spells a character can learn.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <03-23-19/1800:17> »

I always took the "Shaman" tag to mean that only Shaman could take it, v/s all the other different magical traditions.
No Vodoo, no Magician, no Shinto,  no, etc etc etc.
Good to know that isn't the case.

One thing i wondered about chain breaker etc is that I think astral reputation is an optional rule?(I think a terrible one, but so be it)  Seems like  qualities based around optional rules, especially when the optional rule is in a different book should have a optional tag or something. Its a decent quality, but it seems you could have maybe 2 costs like 10/20 10 if you use astral rep 20 if you don't. If they unoptionaled it at some point I guess it works, but I missed it if they did.

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #73 on: <04-14-21/1149:39> »
The Death Dealer mastery quality has 3 levels for magicians, but only 1 level for adepts. How many levels can a mystic adept purchase? Do both effects of the quality apply to Mystic Adepts or Adepts with Adept Spell?

Any suggestions on this thing?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <04-14-21/1624:04> »
The Death Dealer mastery quality has 3 levels for magicians, but only 1 level for adepts. How many levels can a mystic adept purchase? Do both effects of the quality apply to Mystic Adepts or Adepts with Adept Spell?

Any suggestions on this thing?

I think the best way to read that quality is to presume a Mystic Adept has to pick whether a level of Death Dealer applies to the Mystic Adept's Combat spells OR to their Critical Strike.  No two-fers.  And the Mystic Adept can only apply 1 level to Critical Strike (therefore leaving a potential for 2 levels towards Combat spells)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.