NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

Jesentra

• Newb
« Reply #210 on: <09-24-13/1216:16> »
Sounds like (AGIx2) + 1 meters. May not make "sense" but it's part of the abstraction.

+1. Does an AGI9 character really have to run 19 (9*2+1) meters to be considered charging?

See, this was my first thought as well, that you had to actually exceed your walking rate in meters before you could charge. I was actually going to address this same thing when I first made the post, but as per the rules:

pg. 161 states:
The Movement Rates (Walk and Run) for each metatype
are noted on the Movement Table. This is the distance the character can move during their
Combat Turn. As soon as the character exceeds
their Walk rate, they are considered
Running until the end of the Combat Turn
and incur any penalties or benefits of running.
Running characters must use a Free
Action in each Initiative Pass they are considered
running.

As I re-read it, the term "rate" suggests that it's not saying that you actually have to move [Agi x2] +1 meters, you have to move at a rate of movement, or speed, of that many meters in a combat turn. This is the interpretation that I have concluded, because it makes more sense than an Agi 6 person needing 13 meters to charge, and a less agile Agi 2 only needing 5.

But I'd totally agree some rewording could help.
I don't think I understand what you're saying. In SR terms, "rate" seems to be defined as:
This is the distance the character can move during their Combat Turn.
On the chart, it is defined for all metahumans as (AGIx2). Using word substitution on the next sentence would read:
Quote from: Word Substitution
As soon as the character exceeds the distance of (AGIx2), they are considered Running until the end of the Combat Turn and incur any penalties or benefits of running.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think it is fairly clear. I'm considering houseruling it to 5 meters.

The table tells you the distance you can travel in a combat turn because it tells you the rate of movement, and how far you can travel going said rate in 3.3 seconds. Like, if the table were to say that a car can go 60 klicks in an hour, what it's telling me is that the car has a speed of 60 kph. That is it's movement rate.  That doesn't mean a character must go that distance, just like I can drive that car at 60 kph for only twenty kilometers.

As I'm reading it, it's saying that you must be moving at a speed that exceeds the rate of Walking (Agi x 2). Whether the target you're charging is a full Agi x 4 meters away or less than that is irrelevant. After all, if you were forced to travel (Agi x 2) + 1, that means that you could potentially be prevented from charging someone who is relatively close to you, if you're fortunate enough to enjoy multiple Initiative Passes in a turn and you are on your last Pass, since the movement rate is divided by your Passes, and you might not exceed the minimum distance required in that one pass.

I agree, I think 3-5 meters is where I'd house rule it.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #211 on: <09-24-13/2150:20> »
The Addiction negative quality lists Alchemical preparations as a possible addiction but the Addiction table on page 414 does not list Alchemical preparations (or Deepweed).

Zar

• Chummer
« Reply #212 on: <09-25-13/1642:13> »
So when is the Errata document coming out?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #213 on: <09-29-13/0629:02> »
Arcana is listed and linked to Logic in all tables and in the skill description.

...but you can not (never) default to Logic and in all four cases where the book state that you can use Arcana skill for a test the book tell us that we use it together with either Magic (researching your own artificing formula and translating an artificing formula from another tradition) or Intuition (initiation and when you try to recognize a preparation).

Update:
Restricted skills p.89 only list [or point to a list at p.151] of skills with a magic or resonance attributes
This list does not contain Arcana, Astral combat or Assensing.

p.142 state that "Magic skills" are reserved for those who practice magic. In the skills that follow under "Magic skills" we find Arcana, Astral combat and Assensing.

It also mention quality that provide Magic rating (in SR5 being awakened is a priority and not a quality as it was in SR4).

The description of Arcana on p.142 state that you can specialize it in Spell Design, Focus Design, Spirit Formula.
The book only have rules for researching or translating Focus formula. There are no rules how to use Arcana to design spells or spirit formula...

p.278 state that an awakened character that have a maximum magic rating at zero convert all their magic skills except Arcana to knowledge skills,
- indicating that you can still use Arcana as an active skill even without a magic rating (this goes against what p.142 state).

« Last Edit: <09-29-13/0741:55> by Xenon »

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #214 on: <09-30-13/0456:33> »
Sensitive System Negative quality as written is open to multiple interpretations rules clarifications are needed on the following.
This quality works differently for characters who
are technomancers or Awakened and therefore never
plan to take implants.
Does this mean technomancers and the Awakened have additional effects from theis negative quality or alternate effects.

This also raises the question do cloned replacement organs/body parts still exists in SR5 and do these count as bioware?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #215 on: <09-30-13/0721:31> »
All "Common Programs" and "Hacking Programs" use the word "Program" and not the word "Cyberprogram".

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #216 on: <09-30-13/0723:10> »
That's not wrong since nearly all of them talk about themselves ("this program"), and they are still programs, just a specific type. The only question is whether Virtual Machine lets you run more Cyberprograms or more Programs, which is more of a FAQ thing than an errata thing (unless confirmed as intended to read Cyberprograms).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #217 on: <10-01-13/0453:52> »
That's not wrong ...
Yes it is.
Programs include but is not limited to autosofts, activesofts, knowsofts, linguasofts, common cyberprograms, hacking cyberprograms, agents, mapsofts, shopsofts and tutorsofts.

If they are not cyberprograms (which they probably should be) then it would be legal to run them in a commlink or a skilljack (and there are several threads about people asking about running them in commlinks so obviously it is easy to miss that they are actually special cyberprograms and not a regular program like a mapsoft). As you also noted it give the ambiguous impression that you might or might not use virtual machine to run autosofts.
- and it also raise the question if you might or might not use virtual machine to run agents...

If the whole chapter used the word cyberprograms instead of programs but virtual machine used the word programs then it would be clear that you can use it to run multiple autosofts and agents. It virtual machine instead used the phrase "cyberprograms and agents" it would be clear that you can not use it to run autosofts. Currently they use the word "programs" in the whole chapter and by context they mean cyberprograms and maybe agents. This mean virtual machine can be used for cyberprograms, it might be used for agents and it can probably not be used for autosofts - but everything is guesswork and it is impossible to figure out the correct intent by just reading the text.

Everything simply get less confusing and a lot easier to understand if you use the correct words and phrases at all times.
"Common programs" is at best ambiguous and at worst not correct at all.
"Common cyberprograms" or "Cyberprograms, common use" is correct (and they even use this phrase in the table on p.442).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #218 on: <10-01-13/0502:25> »
They are listed under Cyberprograms, so even if they say "this program", it is obvious they still are Cyberprograms. So I disagree with that just because it always says "this program" it automatically means programs means Cyberprograms here. However, the ambiguity is a good point, thanks for supplying that argument.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #219 on: <10-01-13/0514:03> »
They are listed under Cyberprograms...
No they are not (that is the whole point)

They are listed under
"Programs" p.243
"Program listing" p.243
"Common programs" p.245
"Hacking programs" p.245

It should be
"Cyberprograms" p.243
"Cyberprogram listing" p.243
"Common cyberprograms" p.245
"Hacking cyberprograms" p.245

All "Common Programs" and "Hacking Programs" use the word "Program" and not the word "Cyberprogram".

If you really feel so strongly that this is not errata then maybe you can continue this debate in a new thread or send me [yet another] PM.
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/0518:57> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #220 on: <10-01-13/0527:26> »
Page 243: "Programs (technically cybeprograms if they’re for the Matrix)" <--- should be errata'd to read cyberprograms.
Page 441: "Agents and cyberprograms: [...] explained in Programs, p. 243."
Page 442: "Cyberprogram, common use" & "Cyberprogram, hacking" entries.

I agree with that ambiguity should be cleared out of Virtual Machine. The rest seems fine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #221 on: <10-01-13/1803:03> »
P267: "The Sharing rating is the number of autosofts you can run on the RCC that simultaneously run on all slaved drones at the same time. One caveat: if a drone is running any of its own autosofts, it cannot benefit from the RCC’s autosofts."

Line needs more information for proper parsing. Also needs Cyberprograms added. Following Aaron, it should read as follows:

"The Sharing ratio is the number of Cyberprograms and Autosofts combined you can run on the RCC, these simultaneously run on all slaved drones at the same time. One caveat: if a drone is running any of its own programs, it cannot benefit from the RCC's programs."
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/1810:33> by Michael Chandra »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #222 on: <10-05-13/0403:10> »
Final calculations table on SR5 p.101 "Inherit Limits" does not list the Inherit Limit: "Astral"

To find the definition of that specific limit you have read about it on p.278

martinchaen

« Reply #223 on: <10-05-13/1942:47> »
The "Shooting through a barrier" example on page 198 erroneously uses the "Penetrating Weapons" rule, when the "Shooting through barriers" rules on page 197 clearly states that:
"If the barrier takes the hit first, the gamemaster rolls Structure + Armor to resist the damage, and the structure takes any unresisted damage. If the Structure rating is exceeded by the damage it suffers, any remaining damage is transferred to the target behind the barrier."

In the example, the goon fires at a Security Door, and unless this is a transparent barrier (which would use the Penetrating Weapons rule directly), the GM would have to roll Structure + Armor, reduce the DV by number of hits, and THEN compare modified DV to structure armor.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #224 on: <10-06-13/0512:11> »
Incorrect. There are two cases when attacking through a barrier, one where the attack hits the barrier first (e.g. a blunt attack), another where the attack is performed with a penetrating weapon. The example is in error, however, as has been previously posted: It should apply 4 damage from a 10-round burst to the barrier, not just the one.