NEWS

Run Faster Out!

• 126 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #105 on: <12-24-14/1843:12> »
Personally, I'm a big fan of getting rid of the ceiling on positive or negative qualities (or the same ideas under various different names, in different editions and even in different games), with the onus being on the player and GM to talk to one another and explain expectations and get the 'okay' on things ahead of time.  It's easy to make a character who has a Corporate SIN (and assorted headaches) and something else going on in their life, right?  It's easy to make someone who's an Adept, has a Way, and has other knacks and advantages, right? 

Those ceilings can get hit awful damned fast, in my experience.  If someone's got a good reason to take more than the 25, and it makes sense for the character, and their GM is cool with it, man, I say let 'er rip. 

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #106 on: <12-24-14/1912:33> »
At least from the quote from Run Faster that I put in a previous post, it doesn't appear the Positive applies to that generation (which makes sense since in two modules I'd hit the normal ceiling with a quality that from the looks of it can go up to 30-something on its own).

The module generation example in question:

Meta-type
Human – 0 Karma

Nationality
Confederation of American States – 15 Karma
   Charisma – +1
   SINner (5)
   English – N
   Spanish – +1
   Computer – +2
   Etiquette – +1

Youth (up to Age 10)
Military Brat – 40 Karma
   Strength – 1
   Reaction – 1
   Uncouth (14)
   Close Combat – 2
   Negotiation – 1
   Perception – 1
   Knowledge: History – 1
   Knowledge: CAS – 1

Teen Years (up to Age 17)
Military School – 50 Karma
   Body – 1
   Charisma – 1
   Military Rank (5)
   Code of Honor (15)
   Electronics – 1
   Firearms – 1
   Blades – 1
   First Aid – 1
   Leadership – 1
   Unarmed Combat – 1
   Running – 1
   Swimming – 1
   Professional Knowledge: Military – 3
   Academic Knowledge: Military History – 3
   Academic Knowledge: Literature – 1
   Professional Knowledge: Strategy – 1

Further Education
Military Academy – Armed Forces Academy at Atlanta – 115 Karma
   Body – 1
   Reaction – 1
   Strength – 1
   Military Rank (20)
   Firearms – 1
   First Aid – 1
   Leadership – 1
   Navigation – 1
   Swimming – 1
   Unarmed Combat – 1
   Academic Knowledge: Military History – 2
   Professional Knowledge: Military – 3

Discipline – Business
   Con – 1
   Etiquette – 1
   Negotiation – 2
   Academic Knowledge: Economics – 5

The Real World
Tour of Duty – Army – 100 Karma
   Body – 1
   Reaction – 1
   Strength – 1
   Firearms – 1
   First Aid – 1
   Navigation – 1
   Unarmed Combat – 1
   Professional Knowledge: Military – 4
   Armorer – 1
   Blades – 1
   Free-Fall – 1
   Heavy Weapons – 1
   Pilot Ground Craft – 1
   Survival – 1
   Throwing Weapons – 1

Covert Operations – 100 Karma
   Intuition – 1
   Willpower – 1
   Hawkeye (3)
   Poor Link ( 8 )
   Chemistry – 1
   Con – 1
   Escape Artist – 1
   Etiquette – 1
   Gymnastics – 1
   Navigation – 1
   Perception – 1
   Pistols – 1
   Sneaking – 2
   Survival – 1
   Unarmed Combat – 2
   Spanish – 3
   Street Knowledge: Seattle – 3
   Street Knowledge: Tenochtitlan – 2
« Last Edit: <12-24-14/1917:56> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #107 on: <12-24-14/2237:53> »
I thought the Qualities from LM's didn't count towards the overall limit....
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #108 on: <12-24-14/2240:55> »

I know the Negatives do (specifically states that they do), but I'm finding it questionable with the Positives. The quote I provided along with the sheer number you can get with certain module combinations (like the one above) suggests a "No", but I'm unsure about that.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #109 on: <12-24-14/2247:39> »

I know the Negatives do (specifically states that they do), but I'm finding it questionable with the Positives. The quote I provided along with the sheer number you can get with certain module combinations (like the one above) suggests a "No", but I'm unsure about that.

At least you can buy off some of those negatives at CC and replace them with others.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #110 on: <12-24-14/2252:50> »

At least you can buy off some of those negatives at CC and replace them with others.

Yeah...there's one that I really don't like in the combination I posted above...Uncouth.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #111 on: <12-25-14/0612:36> »
Is there a quality for regular jobs?
One of my players, an assassin, wants to find a job as a janitor because he plays a foreigner and thinks this kind of profession will get him acquainted with  the underbelly of  Seattle.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #112 on: <12-25-14/0753:42> »
Day Job, page 154.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #113 on: <12-25-14/2125:43> »
3.  The lack of drakes, AIs and free spirits are pretty much the big leap as compared to the Runner's Companion.  Something new would be how Infected are handled, as you don't generally start with all of their powers; there's a Karma cost to 'learn' them, as it were, which makes starting as an Infected much easier and less broken.   

I'm really glad to hear about the infected advancement rules, Not that I've ever played one or really even wanted to play one, but the concept is good.
  I can see it being used on those 3 options that got left out of the book as they all are on the "special/overpowered" side but if they started "gimped" & had to work for those added abilities then it makes for a better starting point & growth options.

I can see all 3 of them being included in later books about Dragons, Spirits, & the Matrix.
  Which could also maybe give you some of those Life Path options that seems rather interested as well.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #114 on: <12-25-14/2131:15> »
Then again, has there ever been a sourcebook that focuses solely on the UCAS, for example, as opposed to the city-specific ones like the various Seattle sourcebooks? The only recent nation-book that comes to mind is The Land of Promise (Tir Tairngire), honestly.
There was Shadows of North America that had a full chapter on the UCAS covering several different cities.
Not quite the same thing but worth mentioning.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #115 on: <02-19-15/0642:09> »
Dirty Tricks also covers big swaths of North America, including both teh CAS and the UCAS.

My favorite pages so far are p.253 and onwards. No need to improvise prices anymore!

And you're my new favorite person. Wear the tag proudly!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #116 on: <02-19-15/0645:41> »
A minor note, but if you look closely, you'll find that sound links (25 nuyen, 1 Capacity) are a real thing now.

As well they should have always been!

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #117 on: <02-28-15/1658:25> »
Making characters using the Life Modules seems awesome but limiting this to some North American nations is short sighted in both game and economics reasons... UK, Germany and Spain have enclaves of players and, as such, some characters are from those nations... Have I missed something?
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #118 on: <02-28-15/1713:45> »
Making characters using the Life Modules seems awesome but limiting this to some North American nations is short sighted in both game and economics reasons... UK, Germany and Spain have enclaves of players and, as such, some characters are from those nations... Have I missed something?

Page limits.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #119 on: <02-28-15/1802:24> »
Yeah - I know.. It kinda sucks. I'd love guidance on building Modules. I cannot see a pattern yet.

My character is dynamic across many of these forms: an ork born to elven mother. Father is big man in London based corp that frowns on metas (elven kind are fine of course). So after a few years in UK he's shipped to relatives North of Chicago, then to Denver. So I went for Nation: UCAS. Then he's an ork brought up by humans but not cared for well and as an ork he's only too aware of his failings including a foreshortened life. I put him in as an orphan but losing the knowledge of the Foster System.

What about a new path: Rebel?
Formative Rebel has skills like Orphan but with Leadership +1, Con +1, Running +1 instead of Professional Knowledge +3.
Teen Years Rebel has attributes like Street Kid but Blades +1, Computers +1, Software +1 instead of the Acting Group and Sneaking +1, Negotiation +1, Street Knowledge (City) +1 instead of the Stealth group.

Just, you know, spitballing.
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering