NEWS

DragonCon 2012, August 31st - September 3rd, Atlanta, Georgia

• 13 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <08-05-12/2138:49> »
Disclaimer: I am not the event organizer, I just noticed there was no post about this upcoming convention that features Shadowrun Missions.

Event schedule, August 31st - September 3rd:
CMP2012-01 Swing the Vote          |FR 9a .     |SA 9a . .   |. . . .
CMP2012-02 Five Minutes to Midnight|. FR 1p     |. SA 1p .   |. . . .
CMP2012-03 Silicon Slick           |. . FR 6p   |. . SA 6p   |. . . .
CMP2012-04 Depth Charge            |. . . FR 10p|. . . SA 10p|. . . .
CMP2012-05 Hopping the Fence       |. . . .     |SA 9a . .   |SU 9a .
CMP2012-06 Domestic Tranquility    |. . . .     |. SA 1p .   |. SU 1p
CMP2012-07 Grocery List            |. . . .     |. . SA 6p   |. . SU 6p
CMP2012-08 The Hung Over           |. . . .     |. . . SA 10p|. . . SU 10p
SRM04-04 Smuggler’s Blues          |FR 9a .     |. . . .     |SU 9a .
SRM04-05 On a Silver Platter       |. FR 1p     |. . . .     |. SU 1p
SRM04-06 Hard Target               |. . . .     |. SA 1p .   |. . SU 6p
SRM04-07 Burn                      |. . . .     |. . SA 6p   |. . . SU 10p
SRM04-08 Brothers United           |. FR 1p     |. . . SA 10p|. . . .
SRM04-09 Assassin Nation           |. . FR 6p   |. . . .     |SU 9a .
SRM04-10 Romero & Juliet           |. . . FR 10p|. . . .     |. SU 1p

Unfortunately a number of events are already sold out.

With that out of the way, does anyone attending have crash space available? I'd like to go and can pay a room share, but all the hotels are booked up.

-k

ImmaculateImage

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-06-12/1542:38> »
While I am unable to provide crash space, I am hoping to get in touch with the events coordinator - which, IIRC, is Kat - about submitting and running a couple extra slots on Monday, as there are no Missions games on Monday (and I'm local, so it's not like I have to catch a plane).

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-12/1241:28> »
Kat is no longer the coordinator. I am not sure if he is on this board - but, ImmaculateImage, if you are interested in running a couple of slots on Moday, let me know through PM or email me (I prefer the email) and I can hook you up with the guy in charge. I will be running 6 of the schnarios - I know the times, but not which individual ones.

Question for Catalyst: Am I correct in my reading and Catalyst will not have a booth at Dragon*con? I know there was some drama at the end of 2010, but I missed 2011 (getting married the next week distracted me).

Feel free to ask any further questions you may have about the convention.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-12/1438:44> »
Dragon*Con is very expensive, very far from the main HQ (In Seattle), and stuck right next to Gen Con and Pax Prime (Gen Con is 2 weeks before it, Pax Prime is the same weekend).  It's also, from what I've heard, not a great "vending" convention, as most attendees are going for the spectacle and panels and costume stuff, not to buy stuff.  I know CGL would love to be able to do the show, it just doesn't end up feasible, especially since they're attending Pax this year (Which is in Seattle).

Bull

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #4 on: <08-07-12/1927:10> »
Dragon*Con is very expensive, very far from the main HQ (In Seattle), and stuck right next to Gen Con and Pax Prime (Gen Con is 2 weeks before it, Pax Prime is the same weekend).  It's also, from what I've heard, not a great "vending" convention, as most attendees are going for the spectacle and panels and costume stuff, not to buy stuff.  I know CGL would love to be able to do the show, it just doesn't end up feasible, especially since they're attending Pax this year (Which is in Seattle).

Bull

Not when I was there in '10. The sold a ton of stuff. I helped them pack up what was left.

As for flight prices, it's really not any worse than going to Origins. The rest of the prices I can't say they may well be higher.
     What I do know is that there is a huge Shadowrun following there. It was talked about how all the SR games were sold out at Gencon this year, they always sell out at Dragoncon and most games end up with 8 or more players due to lack of slots.

Battletech used to be big too. It's waned in the recent years, but I'm sure with a little attention from Cata it would grow again.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <08-07-12/1934:39> »

Bull
While it might not be a GenCon level vending convention, it COULD do pretty well if it was given a shot.  There's a real undercurrent of just general geekery at D*Con that, given a chance, could turn into at least enough money to fund a couple booth volunteers, in my opinion.  I'm not a vending expert, but I've been to my share of D*Con's (and my wife and all our buddies more than make up for the ones I miss), and I know how many gaming and Shadowrun convos I've gotten into at 'em. 

There's room there for gaming to expand, and I genuinely feel like D*Con just needs some game company to make their presence known, to really start a cool trend.

Also, just FYI, but Flea says hiya and is waving over my shoulder, Lloyd.  ;)

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-07-12/1950:33> »

Bull
While it might not be a GenCon level vending convention, it COULD do pretty well if it was given a shot.  There's a real undercurrent of just general geekery at D*Con that, given a chance, could turn into at least enough money to fund a couple booth volunteers, in my opinion.  I'm not a vending expert, but I've been to my share of D*Con's (and my wife and all our buddies more than make up for the ones I miss), and I know how many gaming and Shadowrun convos I've gotten into at 'em. 

There's room there for gaming to expand, and I genuinely feel like D*Con just needs some game company to make their presence known, to really start a cool trend.

Also, just FYI, but Flea says hiya and is waving over my shoulder, Lloyd.  ;)

Awwh Hell yeah!!! HI Flea!!!
Too bad I won't see you guys this year but SCA coronation takes precedence this time, my friends finally won Crown!!
But I expect to see you guys next year, with new Cobra costumes!! Oh, and I'm redesigning the Mobile Bar backpack so it can make a comeback then too!

Oh and I know the Cata guys had a good time that year I had them at some good parties!
« Last Edit: <08-07-12/1952:04> by DarkLloyd »
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #7 on: <08-07-12/2019:35> »
the proximity to Gen Con and now the overlap with Pax (Which being local is MUCH cheaper for them to do, since they're not flying anyone out or booking hotel rooms, it's just teh Seattle based CGL employees handling it) is really what hurts Dragon*Con.  And while sales may have been decent, they also didn't take very much, from what I was told.  I know they want to do the show again.  And I want them to send me tehre one year :)  But teh question is, is it feasible and is it something the powers that be want to do and feel is worth it? 

Right now, I'm guessing not.

Bull

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <08-09-12/2221:16> »
See, this is why I (being local to D*Con) should be hired by Catalyst.  No flight costs, hotel rooms, or any of that stuff.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-05-12/1320:24> »
Hey all, thanks to all the GM's and players who came out for D*C. The tables were full and with only one GM having to cover part of a game for his wingman it became quite a whirlwind of SR4.

Thanks, all, especially DOG_XINU for coordinating it all. That crap can't be easy to pull off so well! :-)
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #10 on: <09-07-12/1355:52> »
Agreed! Thanks so much to all the folks who volunteered their time to coordinate and run. We really appreciate it.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-12/0030:11> »
Add another round of thanks to the pile.

And I was worried that I was bringing the oddest character to the game. Not even close.

That pixie with cephlophoid skull and every other SURGE deformity possible, contributing to the TacNet by wearing a simrig and then tasting everything... ergh.

-k

Solracd

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-22-12/2321:53> »
I also would like to send out my thanks to the GM team for SR this con!

My buddies and I have been attending since the 90s (yes, I'm old...I still have my 1st edition!!!) and every year SR quickly sells out.  I did manage to get in 2 sesssion, though.

Anyway, I was dissappointed that Catalyst didn't have a presence.  I'm surprised it's not strong enough for a showing.  One hotel (of the four) dedicated to just gaming isn't enough?  3 showrooms for vendors (and growing next year, I hear).  Wow...

Since I'm ignorant of the "Good" cons, which ones  are worthy to make the cut each year?  I get GenCon, of course, but what else?

The world needs more SHADOWRUN!!!

Sol

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-22-12/2342:10> »
Origins, Gencon and Pax now i guess.

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept