NEWS

Planning a Heist

• 6 Replies

EltonJ

• Newb
« on: <01-08-21/1538:46> »
I'm planning a small campaign Heist for Shadowrun.  I don't want to make it too hard, but then I don't want it to be a walk in the park.

Here's the Giest: The University of Deseret (University of Utah) in Salt Lake City had acquired a sample of true fire from Yellowstone (Parageology pg 19).  They were studying it to see if they can make practical applications for it.  However, a rival group of Elves stole the true fire and now it's in Car'sir (Portland).  It rightfully belongs to the University of Deseret.  They managed to trace it to an auction house in the Tir.  The U. of D. wants it back.  So naturally they hire Shadowrunners: the PCs.

It's the Shadowrunners job to go into the Tir, retrieve the sample of True Fire and return it to SLC.  However, the elves are planning to keep it secure.  I want it difficult enough for the Shadowrunners to earn their karma. The PCs are hired out of Seattle, but may come from the Pueblo Corporate Council as well.

So, any ideas?  Suggestions?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <01-08-21/1855:40> »
Legwork will be key.  What are the defenses, what are the weaknesses, who runs security, how can they be manipulated/blackmailed/seduced?

How big a sample is it?  What containment requirements does it have?  Is the box it is in bigger than a breadbox?  Is it bigger than a three-body trunk?  Will they need the entire back end of a Roadmaster to haul it?  Will they need a heavy-lift chopper or blimp?

How well with the 'runners fit in with the Tír?  Clothing and appearance matters.

What connections do they have/can they get in the Tír?  Will they be professional, or will they be like Sean Bean in Ronin?

And, most importantly, where are they going to find decent beer in a land filled with wine drinkers?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

EltonJ

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-08-21/2116:53> »
Sounds like you want in on the action.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-21/1526:08> »
I like to break things down into small bites...

How are they getting into the Tir? By land? By Air? By Sea?

Each of those face their own unique issues. By land they have a boarder wall, check points, sensors, armed guards and roving patrols and wildlife to contend with.

If by Air, they have sensors, drones, spirits, and air craft (possibly) to deal with, along with landing said aircraft (or a skydive entry?)

If by Sea, then they have the coast guard, boarder patrols, wildlife, and environmental hazards...

Or, maybe they just book a bus trip? (They do happen you know..), which case they have to deal with getting the equipment, and Kit on the Tir side. (NO, the Sammy can not bring his Ares Stoner with on mass transit, even if he checks it in luggage!)

Once over the boarder, how are they getting to SLC?
Depending on their way in, they have hundreds of kilometers to cover. Hundreds of kilometers through either back road driving, or highway driving. One might be faster tehn the other, but both have their dangers. From angry wildlife, to angry go-gangers, to just angry people...

Then there is the Tir itself...
The Tir is a caste system that places the Elves of Tir above everyone else, and meta-humans at the very bottom. (Granted, they have "improved" a little in the 2070s, but its very much a racially divided area). If the group contains meta-humans, then that is just one more layer to deal with... ("Walking while Tusked" is a cause for concern don't you know..)
Fashion and style are different on the Tir as well, and while not a huge issue, just draws attention to yourself.

Once at SLC, they have to penetrate Deseret. What is the security there? Who works on the project? Who has access to the area?
How big is it? how easy is it to care for? (can the runner jam it in a pocket, or do they need a special container to keep it safe?)

Finally, How are they getting to the drop point? Is it a small object and thus they can just walk across a boarder no problem? Is it a huge item that a requires a shipping container? 

The Devil is in the little details...
Of course, any Fixer worth his salt is going to have some of this planned out for the team ahead of time... (IS he worth his salt?)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <01-10-21/1340:36> »
The Devil is in the little details...
Of course, any Fixer worth his salt is going to have some of this planned out for the team ahead of time... (IS he worth his salt?)
Depends, is he being like Sean Bean in Ronin?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

EltonJ

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-10-21/1632:17> »
Okay.  There are more questions than suggestions.  But I get the jist. I have Promised Land in my library, as well as Tir Tairngire.  SLC is more open (I have NAN 1, Shadows of North America, and the Horizon campaign.)  So, I'll be doing my homework.

Kage2020

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-08-21/0032:04> »
FWIW, and forgive me, but is some of this measured by how you structure "Action" adventures?
Generally confuggled.