NEWS

Bug nest questions

• 4 Replies

brasso

• Omae
« on: <04-29-18/1333:50> »
Hi all, just wanted to know what magical effects a bug nest might have. Some thoughts I've had are:

#/ bug shaman's lodge. Is this automatic, or is this something that the shaman would have to choose to do? This would also set up some sort of ward I guess.

#/ background count/ domain. Is this automatic, ie. Canon, or GM's call

Thanks folks :)

The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-29-18/1344:25> »
A portion of the nest would be the shaman's lodge, but not the whole nest unless it is a small nest.

It absolutely would have a background count.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <04-29-18/1941:29> »
Aligned background count is decent bonus in 5th, mainly b/c the die penalty can be reasonably disruptive.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-18/0913:16> »
Just be sure you know how good your Magic PCs are and how good your NPCs are after the aspected background count bonus and negatives are applied. High background counts can cripple mages to the point of uselessness if not balanced carefully. Its part of why bugs are scary and all, but you always gotta try and let the PCs maintain at least minimal effectiveness unless its a specific plot point, or they just insist on doing something very very dumb.

In my games everyone once in a while I like to give the PCs a glimpse of something big and bad, but I generally take steps to make it very obvious this is a Big Bad and they are not prepared like having them watch the Big Bag eat a couple HTR team members in full HEAVY Millspec armor while taking multiple Assault cannon rounds to the chest at point blank range while not even being staggered by them. I dont do it alot, but it can be fun every once in awhile to remind the PCs there is always a bigger fish.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <05-27-18/1418:51> »
With a bunch of players at Magic 8~10, I threw them a Background Count 4. Of course they were already walking around in MilSpec by then, so they could handle by being careful, but it did damage their default spirit-army approach.

As for 'Big Bad', my players feared friendly SWAT NPCs more than most other things. =P Something about a PR6 team using all the tricks the books offer just terrified them.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!