NEWS

[IC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 1507 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1500 on: <05-16-16/1236:03> »
Sammy winced when Clem stated something which was true, but might have been said a bit more diplomatically.  Well, maybe she could salvage something.
"As my collegue said, we're not going to double-cross our employer, because if we do, word will get around and nobody will hire us anymore.  But I understand where the question comes from, as I know this city quite well."
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1501 on: <05-16-16/1516:32> »
Sam nodded reassuringly. "We are professionals, Mr. Fermin. You don't last long in our career if your employer cannot trust you--not just during the contract, but afterwards as well. And I'm not talking in the old 'you'll never get a job in this town' sense, as my colleagues have suggested; breaches of faith tend to have...lasting--and messy--consequences, which are best avoided all around."

He paused, then continued, "So yes, you can trust us. The tougher part, in all honesty, will be our trusting you. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it is dangerous for people in our line of work to rely too much on their employer's good word. However, 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' is as true for us as it is for anyone, probably more so. As long as you are our employer, that will continue to be the case. Increased remuneration strengthens the employment bond, naturally, but increased communication does as well." His eyes narrowed. "You talk as if the group that has temporarily disabled two of our members and caused us a significant amount of trouble was not, in fact, hired by someone to stop us--but was actually working in parallel with us. If that is the case, then it seems there are multiple significant and expensive breakdowns in communication, which I'd suggest are in your best interest to resolve."
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1502 on: <05-16-16/2038:38> »
Fermin smiled, “Well, on that particular count, you have already accomplished the ‘resolution.’  What remains is simply clean up.”

A message goes out from Fermin's comm, at a wholly owned Horizon medical facility nearby it is received the dangerous military man from the limo.  At his signal two separate teams of medical professionals actually begin to work on the injuries suffered by the runners that were brought by helicopter, instead of simply stabilizing them.  The man and his troops take their leave.

Back at the studio, Fermin brings up something on a datapad and begins to speak again, “Shortly we will release the news that Christy Daee’s murderers have been killed and brought to justice. Your role in this will be edited and glossed over. People will be focused on the life of Miss Daee for months to come. I’m afraid, though, that your P2.0 rating has become too high to be of any service to Charisma Associates.”

He does a few things on his ‘link, “Your P2.0 accounts associated with the identities you have been using have been suspended pending a lengthy, unproductive investigation by PCC.” He puts down the datapad.

“That is all that will ever be spoken of about the time you have spent here, beyond this room and this moment.  While we are here in this room and this moment I will let you know that as a part of their performance contract with Horizon, the A-Kidz were involved with beta-testing some new products.  Among these was an addition to the P2.0 program called a Life Management Guide.  This addition had some bugs which a now former-developer for project attempted to fix using code from another test product, a prisoner rehabilitation program that was developed on the East Coast.”

Fermin pinched the bridge of his nose, “The interaction between these products produced some unforeseen issues, including self-replication.  It also apparently caused a breakdown of progress made by otherwise successful graduates of the East Coast program that had relocated to the PCC, as well as inducing obsessive–compulsive behavior, a certain amount of ‘moral vigilance,’ and social intolerance in those individuals.”

One of the workers comes in. “Mister Fermin, I have a Mister Desperado in the lobby."

“Thank you. That means your ride is here. You have a private plane waiting to take you home that will be ‘wheels up’ in an hour.  Anything you have at the hotel will be shipped to Slade as soon as possible.  A severance total of ¥15,000 has been deposited into each of your accounts, that, and full medical treatment at the best Horizon Medical Center in the Pacific Northwest for your two teammates, should be the conclusion of our business arrangements.”

“On a personal note, I want you all to know I truly appreciate everything you have done for Pandora and her friend.”

His manner seems to indicate the meeting is over.
« Last Edit: <05-17-16/1832:13> by Crossbow »

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1503 on: <05-18-16/0434:25> »
So that was it, Sammy thought.  Well, it could have been worse and 15000 was not bad.  And it had confirmed her decision not to work in front of the cameras again.  Time to get back to Seattle and Marcus.  She hoped he hadn't destroyed the place yet.
"Thank you," she said, "and you have our contact details in case you wish to hire us again in the future."
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1504 on: <05-18-16/1921:04> »
In the end, it was the Pito that prevented them from getting any more work. The irony wasn't lost on Clem, but then again she had always been wary of things to do with the Matrix. The ork simply stood up and took a bow to Fermin, saying a polite "thank you", hands lying flat on her sides. As different as Hollywood was, deep down it was the same as Seattle: once the job was done, you collected your fee and went on your way.

*At least I'll be able to sleep in my bed* thought the woman as she was getting out of the room, waiting for the other runners to follow suite.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1505 on: <05-23-16/2131:13> »
Heading out to the lobby, you see the same troll in shades, grinning at you. He leads you to his truck. “So, how was your fifteen minutes of fame?”

Waiting for you are all of the comms you left with Tommy, clean as a whistle.  You verify that the funds promised were indeed delivered, not that you doubted it.  Fermin seems to be one of the pros, if not one of the good guys.

There is a datafile on your front page with an address in Bellvue, right on Lake Washington for Blue Skies Rehabilitation Clinic.  It is apparently where you can reconnect with your teammates.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1506 on: <05-24-16/0704:09> »
"I've had mine before," Sammy said, "and meh.  Say, do we swing by that hospital to pick up our less fortunate colleagues?"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1507 on: <05-26-16/0505:19> »
"All I know about it is that your IDs have been logged as approved visitors, I think they are going to be there for a bit."