NEWS

Acquiring Gear

• 57 Replies

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-14-11/1328:57> »
Yes but the interval and availability test is only applicable to black market purchases.

By the rules it seems that you can only purchase items that do not have an availability through legal channels and everything else must be purchased illegally, but I tend to use common since as a guide and allow even items that have an availability to be found in certain specialty outfitters like weapons world. you have to show ID and it is logged with the purchase but you can skip the availability test for allot of items just bey buying them in a store.

The interval being based on cost seems to make more since to me as a black marketeer wants to move product so he would have lower cost items that will move rather than higher priced items in stock. Doesn't mean he can't get what you want it just means it will take longer.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <04-14-11/1340:16> »
But it's a combination of the two. The interval is how long it takes for each iteration of a test. The Availability is how many successes are needed.

If an object is 20,000¥, but has an availability of 5, then there aren't going to be many iterations of the Extended Test, meaning they will be able to get the item in a week or two. But if an item is 50¥, but has an availability of 32, then you're going to be spending a lot of time tracking down a seller and negotiating delivery and such (probably around 10 tests ≈ 12*10 hours = 120 hours = 5 days).

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #17 on: <04-14-11/1346:32> »
I just wish they hadn't linked the interval time to the price, it makes for some very unusual results. It doesn't make sense to me that an expensive item may be easy to find (but takes a long time), while something cheap can be extremely hard to locate (but you get it quickly).
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <04-14-11/1426:02> »
Find owner of gear.  Beat up owner of gear.  You now have gear.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-14-11/1704:17> »
@LonePaladin: It doesn't seem so strange to me. Expensive things do take longer to find, in my experience, because they are less common, fewer people are willing to part with them, fraud is a greater risk, quality is a bigger concern, and so on. Big-ticket purchases like vehicles and homes take a long time for research, background checking, financing, and so on. Things are a bit different when you're talking about gray and black markets, but the same basic concerns are there. Also, expensive things often simply aren't available: You can't get the thing until somebody dies or makes a new one.

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #20 on: <04-15-11/0350:12> »
Shadowrunning is actually the process where many procurement needs are met.  Fixer or Johnson want item X,  they look into the particulars in getting it, individuals are hired to bring it back (usually told just enough to get them to do it but not enough that they could barter a reasonable fee, you have to control those costs), and then item X is picked up in some insane scheme, and then delivered back to the original Johnson.  It has a very familiar ring to it.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #21 on: <04-15-11/1648:23> »
don't know about this. I mean, an interval of 30 minutes? Is your fixer/contact Dominoes?

Uncle Enzo's armaments:  Bullets in 30 minutes or you can shoot the driver.

Since the interval includes things like the meet, I can understand expensive orders taking longer.  When you, or your contacts, are dealing in expensive transactions, it can take a long time to establish the sort of trust and such for the exchange to take place.

When it's legal and purchased legally, then you can have it right away.  It's just tied to your SIN, which presents other problems.
« Last Edit: <04-15-11/1700:04> by Kontact »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <04-15-11/1855:56> »
I don't know about this. I mean, an interval of 30 minutes? Is your fixer/contact Dominoes?
More likely that's the amount of time you go walking around the streets to find the skeevy-looking fellow in the trenchcoat with the Ford Americar that has a trunk full of weapons.  Or less skeevy if your contact is Little Jacob, and that's how long it takes to get from where you are to where he feels safe parking.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #23 on: <04-19-11/0023:52> »
don't know about this. I mean, an interval of 30 minutes? Is your fixer/contact Dominoes?

Uncle Enzo's armaments:  Bullets in 30 minutes or you can shoot the driver.

Since the interval includes things like the meet, I can understand expensive orders taking longer.  When you, or your contacts, are dealing in expensive transactions, it can take a long time to establish the sort of trust and such for the exchange to take place.

When it's legal and purchased legally, then you can have it right away.  It's just tied to your SIN, which presents other problems.
Hmph, last time I tried buying anything legal in a decent sized city it took me 30 minutes just to find a parking spot.

Note: I'm not mentioning what it took to buy anything illegal.....  ::)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <04-19-11/0026:50> »
It's even longer if you take a bus like I do.

Of course, illegal stuff might be quicker to find depending on what neighborhood you're in, and what caters to the area.  If you're in a place full of Neo-Hippies, I'm pretty sure Mary Jane won't be that hard to find.  :P  Or, so I've heard.  ;)

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-19-11/0045:49> »
It's even longer if you take a bus like I do.

Of course, illegal stuff might be quicker to find depending on what neighborhood you're in, and what caters to the area.  If you're in a place full of Neo-Hippies, I'm pretty sure Mary Jane won't be that hard to find.  :P  Or, so I've heard.  ;)
Of course :P

back to deliveries though, I did have a courier NPC contact who was good at that sort of stuff. Don't have the write-up, but it was along the lines of:

Quicksilver: Elven bike rigger
'Now, where did I put that package?'
'Sign here,..and here...and...oh screw it, you look like the guy'
When it absolutely, positively has to be there....don't send this guy.
However, if your only chance of success is sending a package through three layers of gang territory, through a corp firefight and past ghoul-infested waters, Quicksilver's probably your best bet.
With his tricked out stunt-bike and intimate knowledge on the dynamic nature of sprawl traffic, this elf guarantees* delivery to any part of Seattle within 30minutes of pickup. Record breaking package-runs include
~ a ride half-way up Renraku pyramid during the shutdown (several news-cam drones were destroyed by sentry-turrets trying to record this activity)
~ Dragging a full lone-star HTR squad (including a riotmaster and two squad cars) into a running firefight between the Yakuza and Mafia in the docklands

*Guarantees limited to Bike and rider. Packages may be lost in transit.

Ahh, fun times.

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <04-19-11/0102:06> »
If you read any of my Fan Fiction, my protagonist Nas is also a good option.

What is it with Elven Deliverymen?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #27 on: <04-19-11/0107:58> »
I want my players to write up their contacts this way.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-19-11/0136:42> »
I want my players to write up their contacts this way.
It's the old format for contacts, and I think it was always awesome.

I've got a bundle of them lying around from 20'ish years of Shadowrunning. Really should get off my @ss and compile them into a readable document....

Many are still in old Word-Perfect/Works formats....ahh MS-DOS, how I miss thee.

Phreak Commandment V:

LankyOgre

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <04-19-11/2151:57> »
Shadowrunning is actually the process where many procurement needs are met.  Fixer or Johnson want item X,  they look into the particulars in getting it, individuals are hired to bring it back (usually told just enough to get them to do it but not enough that they could barter a reasonable fee, you have to control those costs), and then item X is picked up in some insane scheme, and then delivered back to the original Johnson.  It has a very familiar ring to it.

You call your contact and arrange to purchase item X. Your contact calls a Johnson to arrange acquiring item X on a corp. raid. Johnson calls you to arrange shadowrun. Adventure idea?