NEWS

Magestone

• 2 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« on: <07-01-14/2249:28> »
So I recall reading Corporate Enclaves and reading up on LA's history. The reason LA became a free city was because a hacker group called Magestone hacked the gubernatorial election.

I remember reading that name, and thinking it was a very strange name for a hacker group. Sounds more like a magical society to me and I don't ever recall reading it in any other SR book. Though, to be fair, there are a LOT of books that I haven't read.

Anyway, I just came across the Magic Usenet Groups on p 23 of Street Grimoire and look at that... Magestone. Possibly a group of Oxford mage hackers? That I guess in 2040-something hacked the CalFree gubernatorial election, or just maybe a coincidence? Has Magestone ever been mentioned anywhere else?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-02-14/0009:43> »
Magestone is covered in Loose Alliances.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-14/0130:34> »
Just picked up Loose Alliances while it was on sale.

It says there are (were?) 5 members all of which came from CalFree in Magestone. It does also say they are magically active, or implies it at the least.

But Street Grimoire says this is a breakaway group of Oxford students. Is the name just a coincidence or did some of the mages move to London and start teaching at Oxford? I can believe both, but would like to believe the latter.