NEWS

SRM 03-01 "Ready, Set, Gogh!" Clarifications

• 7 Replies

Scuzzy

• Newb
  • Unleash the Wildebeest
« on: <08-17-11/1203:16> »
NB: My forum-aware Dayton runners for whom I'm slated to GM this mission, please do not continue reading this thread. More than likely, it will contain spoilers!

With that out of the way...

There may be more clarifications necessary due to my limited experience; hence my use of the plural in the subject line. For now, my main issue is as follows:

As "Ready, Set, Gogh!" is a third season mission, it still includes table rating. Such things, however, are now considered passé. In general Shadowrun Missions policy, should I still allow the players to choose a table rating? Alternatively, is there an officially recommended TR for third season missions as TRs have been done away with?

A minor point, I realize, but I'd hate for my players to miss out on or completely lose awards because their GM had been uninformed.

Additionally, none of the PCs participating in this session have been migrated to season 4.

Thanks for any guidance provided!

o  rn l, lr os sn fi  R aa
An Irish philosophy: In life, there's only two things to worry about...

Excerpt from Retired Life in the Late 21st Century: "Daddy, what's 'Graphic, old-timey goatse?'" *Synthahol spit-take*

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <08-17-11/1644:25> »
You're in the Dayton area?  Damn!  I just moved out of that area earlier this year.  My roomie and some others are still down there though.  I should point him your way (Andy, Caine_Hazen, he was at Gen Con helping out as well).

Bull

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <08-17-11/1656:02> »
And to answer your question...

As GM it's up to you.  If you haven't converted/moved over to Season 4 yet, play it as is, allowing the runners to choose their table rating.  The table ratings are a tad uneven at times, but still fairly solid.  Though be aware that if runners choose low table ratings (1-3), some of the Missions pay is pretty craptastic.

The 2010 CMPs were originally written using Table Ratings, and when we converted them to Season 4 rules for the cons this year, we generally used Table Rating 4 as a Baseline, and then looked at the numbers and adjusted them as needed,

Good Luck!

Bull

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: <08-17-11/1947:13> »
Wait, how can I admin your threads if I can't read your threads?!?!!? 

WHich shop you planning on running this one at?  I've already done this one myself, but I wanna stop in and see how things shake out!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <08-17-11/1959:14> »
Wait, how can I admin your threads if I can't read your threads?!?!!? 

WHich shop you planning on running this one at?  I've already done this one myself, but I wanna stop in and see how things shake out!
Don't worry, Caine. I'll do the admin work. And laugh maniacally at what he has planned.  8)

Scuzzy

• Newb
  • Unleash the Wildebeest
« Reply #5 on: <08-18-11/1833:16> »
Excellent. Thanks for the reassurance, Bull! Depending on what my super-veteran players bring to the table, I might just unilaterally bury the needle. Y'know... for their own good. ;{)>

Second point of clarification: what's the rule of thumb with NPC edge scores and usage?

As for the venue, it will regrettably not be any kind of public place. We are slated to play Sunday @ The House of Fringe. If there was a way to get it counted as a CGL Agent "event," I'm all for it! But not to worry: I won't be holding my breath.

Slainte!

et h  -e vt ea np  o ea br '   h er  n du ae '
An Irish philosophy: In life, there's only two things to worry about...

Excerpt from Retired Life in the Late 21st Century: "Daddy, what's 'Graphic, old-timey goatse?'" *Synthahol spit-take*

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #6 on: <08-18-11/1912:49> »
Second point of clarification: what's the rule of thumb with NPC edge scores and usage?

If the NPC has an Edge score, use it.  Typically, only the named bosses have Edge, so you won't see an Edge stat on the rank-and-file goons.  However, if a group of enemies has a Professional Rating listed, that's like a shared Edge pool.  As a GM, I generally don't use Edge for goons...in part because the PR isn't always listed, but also because I feel that's part of what makes PCs (and named bosses) special.  I have no problem using Edge for a named boss, though.

While all spirits have Edge equal to their Force, summoned spirits generally refuse to use their Edge (and their summoners can't make them spend it).  Some suggest using it on resistance tests to resist summoning from mages known to be abusive to their spirits, but I don't recall whether or not that's codified.

As far as I'm concerned, Caine, you're welcome to come over and watch the fun.  Or make a new character and play. :)  That's up to Scuzzy, though, since I think we're close to a full table.  I've already GM'ed it at least once, just never actually played it.  It'll be interesting playing the new character, who has a moral code somewhat more befitting a shadowrunner...  ::)
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Crash_00

« Reply #7 on: <08-25-11/0126:27> »
On a similar note, should I be using the Table Ratings in Season 2 still or using a baseline of four for all of them?