NEWS

'Sternsnacht' Hand-cannon

• 22 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <07-27-12/1327:16> »
If the cylinder is heavy enough to handle the rounds, then it's no worse than firing them from any other arrangement.  Case(s) in point, the Colt Paterson, Dragoon Carbine, Model 1855, and Buntline 1873.  Note that the 1855 came in .38, .44, and .56 variations.

So, it's entirely possible - especially with 2070s era materials science - to produce a cylinder-based weapon that can handle rifle cartridges.  :)
I'm very aware of those rifles, and of why they were largely unpopular and the idea of revolver rifle was quickly dropped: the blast out the side of the cylinder has a good chance to burn your forward arm, or your face (if your doing any sort of proper aiming), which is what I was refering to.

Which is all actually beside the point, the real question being: WHY should it be a revolver?  Because only revolvers are 'allowed' to deal more than 5P and  -1AP?
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

_Pax_

« Reply #16 on: <07-27-12/1600:32> »
I wasn't arguing that it SHOULD be.  Just that it COULD be.

Also, this thing is a pistol, isn't it?  So the concerns that arose from Colt's revolver-rifles aren't an issue here - the cylinder would be forward of the firer's hands and face, always.

My point was, that using "rifle rounds" - the ammunition, not the overall form-factor - isn't really a problem for a revolver mechanism.  You just need a heavier, stronger cylinder, is all.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <07-27-12/1742:04> »
I wasn't arguing that it SHOULD be.  Just that it COULD be.

Also, this thing is a pistol, isn't it?  So the concerns that arose from Colt's revolver-rifles aren't an issue here - the cylinder would be forward of the firer's hands and face, always.

My point was, that using "rifle rounds" - the ammunition, not the overall form-factor - isn't really a problem for a revolver mechanism.  You just need a heavier, stronger cylinder, is all.
Ah, I getcha~
you're right, it COULD be... but it's not going to be.  Especially not with bumping the ammo count to 3; a 3 round cylinder would just be silly.  :3
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <07-27-12/1820:00> »
There's the "Mare's Leg", the infamous cut-down Winchester.  'Course, that was in .44-40.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #19 on: <07-27-12/2102:09> »
Sorry guys, I've been scouring my pic archives and my Battletech books and I can find the pic of this gun for you.

I know there is one of Tag Burton with his canopy open shooting another mech but for the life of me I don't know where. Maybe the old house book Steiner, I don't have that one.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <07-27-12/2114:24> »
Sorry guys, I've been scouring my pic archives and my Battletech books and I can find the pic of this gun for you.

I know there is one of Tag Burton with his canopy open shooting another mech but for the life of me I don't know where. Maybe the old house book Steiner, I don't have that one.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find one either... maybe in on of the OLD Solaris books?
~~~~~
~~~~~

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #21 on: <07-27-12/2128:39> »
From BT: Interstellar Players, the Bounty Hunter wielding his Sternsnacht in full power armor.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/7/77/BountyHunterPA.JPG/573px-BountyHunterPA.JPG

And the slightly smaller, mass produced Sternsnacht Python from (I think) Lostech

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/6/6b/Sternsacht-python.png/180px-Sternsacht-python.png
« Last Edit: <07-27-12/2133:38> by ArkangelWinter »

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <07-27-12/2206:17> »
From BT: Interstellar Players, the Bounty Hunter wielding his Sternsnacht in full power armor.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/7/77/BountyHunterPA.JPG/573px-BountyHunterPA.JPG

And the slightly smaller, mass produced Sternsnacht Python from (I think) Lostech

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/6/6b/Sternsacht-python.png/180px-Sternsacht-python.png

Awesome, thanks~  The BH one is good... Python isn't bad, bit it's the wrong model of gun.  :3
~~~~~
~~~~~