NEWS

Ork Cyberlimbs Sammy- SRM Neo-Tokyo Campaign

• 24 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-01-19/1211:56> »
The Cyberscanner rules have specific tests to spot the sub components of Cyberlimbs.  I don't recall the specific dice pools off the top of my head, but they are not really favorable to the PC especially for "Used" limbs.

Also if you're playing any CMPs you've probably left NT. 

Obviously totally up to you, but seriously, Raptor Feet, Anchors and Climbing Claws are similar in Damage Codes to Cyber Spurs.  Take a look at them.  Plus they have other benefits.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-01-19/1247:40> »
Well non-metallic compounds only fool MAD scanners.  Your all-ceramic gun is still picked out by a "cyberware" scanner.  Millimeter Wave scanners (SR5 pg 362) aka "cyberware scanners" pick out more than just cyberware.  Still, I'm pretty sure looking at those rules it doesn't pick out component parts of cyberware... just a binary "cyberware" detection with no granularity on what's IN your cyberlimbs... 1 hit reveals presence and location. Additional hits revals information "such as" function, model, type.  I suppose "capacity-using modular enhancements" is or is not appropriate to information "such as" function, model, and type... depending on table variation.

Still, lots of good food for thought.  Thanks a lot for the input... I'll be incorporating some suggested tweaks for sure.
« Last Edit: <03-01-19/1256:11> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-01-19/1312:05> »
But in a panopticon like Shadowrun’s Japan, you can basically assume that any building with even moderate security is going to have a MAD scanner at the door, more secure buildings will have chem sniffers, cyberware scanners, in addition to MAD... and in nice neighborhoods, there are roving drones with the same.

Private security and NTMP beat cops will probably subject you to frequent “random” stops. Which will include a physical pay down and the sensor suite in their squad car giving you the once over. Then they’ll give you a citation for your broken taillight (that they just smashed) and another ticket for littering (because you didn’t pick up the glass they just broke).
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-01-19/1327:40> »
Well with obvious (and probably bulk modified) limbs, it's not like I'm trying to hide the cyberlimbs.

*walks through a door, metal detector sounds*
Guard looks up from playing Candy Crush and sees a shrugging ork with obviously metal limbs.

And if I drop the cybergun entirely, I have nothing to fear from chemsniffers.

Sure, I'll need a good fake SIN and good fake permits... I grant that. I'll have needed them just for "walking while being a Ork". I don't need good social skills to pass a SIN verification check, I need a good fake SIN! And sure I'll want SOME social skills like etiquette/con to assure guards/drones that the pings they get are MAD/cyberware scanners are nothing but the medically necessary (and blatantly obvious) replacement limbs.. but GM credit karma will cover that.

An earlier version had "Ugly and Doesn't Care" to help represent that on top of being an Ork he just simply looks horrific (he is afterall a severe burn victim) but I dropped it to not be a total social liability.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <03-01-19/1337:01> »
Could you post a version of his build (or modify the one above) to reflect the changes that will be made once you’ve spent his accumulated XP?

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-01-19/1342:22> »
But in a panopticon like Shadowrun’s Japan, you can basically assume that any building with even moderate security is going to have a MAD scanner at the door, more secure buildings will have chem sniffers, cyberware scanners, in addition to MAD... and in nice neighborhoods, there are roving drones with the same.
A cybergun is designed to be really hard to detect on a MAD scanner.  Go into the building with it unloaded, and you should be fine.   If you need the ammo, get Hi-De rounds and smuggle them in using a hermetically-sealed container.

Private security and NTMP beat cops will probably subject you to frequent “random” stops. Which will include a physical pay down and the sensor suite in their squad car giving you the once over. Then they’ll give you a citation for your broken taillight (that they just smashed) and another ticket for littering (because you didn’t pick up the glass they just broke).
That's why Faces are important in Shadowrun.  You can talk your way out of that situation, especially if you have some Nuyen to use on gifts *cough* bribery *cough*...

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <03-01-19/1357:17> »
There will be times he’ll be out and about without his team’s Face. Not only due to simple logistics like “driving to the meeting” or “going out for some groceries,” but also because GMs will often conspire to put player characters into situations where they have to struggle to do the thing(s) that they’re bad at.

It’s the classic “Bruce Wayne Held Hostage” scenario. We all know that the Batman could take down four thugs armed with Uzis without breaking a sweat. Unfortunately, when those four thugs have hijacked Bruce Wayne’s yacht during his gala fundraiser and are holding the billionaire playboy philanthropist and his other 1% friends hostage... Well, drama ensues.

A heavily cyber’d and somewhat anti-social Orc is a perfectly valid character archetype for Shadowrun and Neo-Tokyo. Should be quite fun to play and should be quite fun to have at the table... But a clever GM will throw him into scenarios where his liabilities come up. Which is half the reason we build such liabilities into our characters in the first place! Superman is invulnerable, Lois Lane is not, Clark cares about her deeply... So Superman’s GM has the bad guys shoot Lois. Basic storytelling.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-19/1358:52> »
I couldn't agree more.  Also, I'm taking some qualities that directly undermine his awesomeness at soaking damage so as to NOT be a munchkin.

I'm even giving serious thought to keeping Low Pain Threshold to go along with Big Baby.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-02-19/1017:31> »
Could you post a version of his build (or modify the one above) to reflect the changes that will be made once you’ve spent his accumulated XP?

I will, but a rub is I have TWO characters competing for those GM certs.  The one they're provisionally assigned to is a rigger-decker hybrid, but I'm really not happy with the execution.  I might mulligan him into this character since he was technically only played once, or I might split up the certs between the two.   I already have my primary character who's played everything for Neo-Tokyo so far... So if one character gets GM certs for everything, then I need a third character anyway since two characters will have gotten credit for everything, heh.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-02-19/1047:05> »
Yeah I wound up juggling 3 or 4 characters for Season 5 to 8 so I could have something to play.  You want to avoid doubling up on Missions, and you don't want to step on another player's spotlight. 

I find the Combat Monster, and the Buff bot are good choices for Missions you've run/played.  And then a Matrix character that you can pull out when ever the team doesn't have one.