NEWS

Magic in SR6?

• 117 Replies

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« on: <07-03-19/1947:19> »
Was the magic article posted somewhere else? I didn't see it on the main stage today.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-04-19/0821:29> »
It's up now...somewhat intrigued by the modularity of spell casting being suggested.

Magic in SR6

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <07-04-19/0835:24> »
I already reverse-engineered a bunch of Drain components based on differences between spells. It's a consistent system, so will be quite doable to design your own spells when the Magic book comes out.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-04-19/0836:35> »
I already reverse-engineered a bunch of Drain components based on differences between spells. It's a consistent system, so will be quite doable to design your own spells when the Magic book comes out.

This is something I wish to see more of. Not just for spells, but also weapons, drones and vehicles, critters...

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-04-19/0912:49> »
Interesting mechanic change. The ability to build your own spells is very appealing, and I can't wait to see spellcasters explode themselves casting overpowered spells!

Too bad we won't be able to fully utilize it for at least 6 months.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <07-04-19/0952:07> »
Well, I'm definitely interested. Customization in general is something 5e sorely lacked, so it is good to see that magic is getting some more customization options. I can see some ways that this would definitely be useful.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nomad Of Endings

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-04-19/1133:26> »
I'm curious to see the Mind Affecting/Detection side of components for spells  :D
I hope they keep this kind of creativity up for Matrix/Technomancy as well!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-04-19/1336:20> »
This is something I wish to see more of. Not just for spells, but also weapons, drones and vehicles, critters...

Very much this...would love to be able to tweak gear and such!

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-05-19/1153:03> »

I'm 100% with this as well. Having a consistent system for modifications would be amazing. All of these would also be great opportunities for living documents that people could subscribe to.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <07-05-19/1439:56> »
I worry that it could hurt their ability to sell more crunch.  Well, unless they offer 'better modules' to plug in.  Just from the perspective that 'crunch sells' so they need to be able to market a certain amount of crunch to support the meta-plot and adventures and area books and so on.

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-06-19/0818:20> »
I worry that it could hurt their ability to sell more crunch.  Well, unless they offer 'better modules' to plug in.  Just from the perspective that 'crunch sells' so they need to be able to market a certain amount of crunch to support the meta-plot and adventures and area books and so on.

This could be mitigated by having an online database with subscription access. Pay like $1-$3/month for the stats archives, then give subscribers a discount (10%-20% maybe?) on PDF prices for books and Missions modules.

The stats archive would be updated continuously, but would have no real fluff. The gear could be earmarked with a link to the document it came from.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <07-06-19/0901:36> »
Given the large variety of gear-stats, I don't think gear is as modular as Spells are. But if we get customization options, I will greatly enjoy those in HeroLab Online.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-06-19/0909:05> »
Some interesting comments re selling crunch.

I think this lets them focus on different kinds of crunch. Rather than each new book needing to include stats for weapons, spells, etc...you can focus on new additions that complement existing. For example, a rules for blood magic, rune magic, etc; rules for ammunition; etc. each of these could be completely optional and added based on GM/group preference. You could then have a range if accessories, such as cards, that could be POD/PDF. Have the weapon cards...no problems...the file could be updated with the new tweaks/add-ones which you can use as needed. This would really let people dial up the crunch to their comfort level.

I like the idea of subscriptions...sort of. When you’re paying a monthly fee, you expect to get stuff monthly (kinda like Patreon?). We’ll be doing that already for HLO (at least those if us who go down that path), so not exactly how that might look/work for CGL.

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <07-06-19/1011:29> »
Some interesting comments re selling crunch.

I think this lets them focus on different kinds of crunch. Rather than each new book needing to include stats for weapons, spells, etc...you can focus on new additions that complement existing. For example, a rules for blood magic, rune magic, etc; rules for ammunition; etc. each of these could be completely optional and added based on GM/group preference. You could then have a range if accessories, such as cards, that could be POD/PDF. Have the weapon cards...no problems...the file could be updated with the new tweaks/add-ones which you can use as needed. This would really let people dial up the crunch to their comfort level.

I like the idea of subscriptions...sort of. When you’re paying a monthly fee, you expect to get stuff monthly (kinda like Patreon?). We’ll be doing that already for HLO (at least those if us who go down that path), so not exactly how that might look/work for CGL.

For weapons, one of the things that could be done is to tag on each weapon with what upgrades can be applied to it. That way, you wouldn't be able to have a full-auto Barret with a chopped barrel and drum mag, but you would be able to have an optimized Barret with a recoil compensating stock and a precision-rifled barrel. That would also open up the ability for some weapons that have lower stats to have more upgrade potential.

As for subscription services, I think it depends on how they structure it. If they are charging $10-$15/month, then players should be getting free PDFs of new books as they drop. If they are charging $1-$3/month as a maintenance fee for keeping the database up to date, then I don't think many people would be clamoring for constant item updates.

And, keeping a living document online allows for instantaneous correction of errors, instead of having to task a team of people with compiling errata and eventually releasing a PDF to catalog changes months later.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-06-19/1726:01> »
I like your ideas re the weapons...each could have a certain number of “hard points” you could use for options, with limitations on those applicable.

Still unsure re the subs...don’t think CGL would have the resources to maintain this consistently. Don’t get me wrong, would love to be proven wrong, just a little pessimistic on this one.