NEWS

A cheaper cyberdeck, thoughts?

• 20 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-11-15/1804:20> »
Ok I'll remove the drawback.

Yes this is for beginners/street scum not for an established runner who'd have the standard decks. This is what you give your kid brother so he can hack a license on a minor program or for those living on the streets to break into a vending machine for food or an unimportant warehouse to be out of the rain. It's designed to give an inexperienced person a hands on deck of their own or smart street level people to cobble together with the expectation when your good enough/lucky enough this will go on the shelf for sentimental value and you'll start using a proper deck.

It was inspired by the fact in a game designed for low level thug on the street I can't see them having even the basic deck which costs enough for a year off medium living. Your scum, the lowest of the low but your running around with something that represents a year's living expenses at 2-3 categories above what you can afford. This on the other hand is something you could be using but will b eaten alive if you try to hack a proper security site.

It's nice to see I'm not the only person who thinks there should be something out there for the low end to cobble along with.
« Last Edit: <02-11-15/1807:09> by Senko »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #16 on: <02-11-15/1806:04> »
Is there any reasoning why the deck can't even run a single program?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-11-15/1815:17> »
Is there any reasoning why the deck can't even run a single program?
Device Rating of 1 equals one program slot, no?

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-11-15/1903:08> »
I'd hope so since the two low end decks both have a device rating of 1.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #19 on: <02-11-15/2003:50> »
Well I was thinking of the table on p. 227 and there was a separate program column but now that I look closely that number is equal to rating anyway.
That being said I could see these low end decks (juryrigged the lot of them) not having enough juice to keep even a single program running while hacking.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <02-12-15/0436:32> »
I could see it not allowing programs (the rating = program thing is true for all existing decks, but is not explicitly the case in the rules, as it is for RCC's). They can be quite a force multiplier. Allowing 1 program allows your Sleaze limit for Hack on the Fly to become 5 rather than 2, which makes this far more effective for a Rigger getting marks on an opposing Drone/Vehicle for cheap. (Virtual Machine + Exploit + Decrypt)