NEWS

Questions / Notes from Clutch of Dragons …War at 10,000 meters

• 157 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #30 on: <10-29-12/0838:14> »
The reason for that is simple, Sichr. There is no such thing as a 'free press' in 2074.
SR4A states there's a ton of independent and outright pirate radio and trid stations, along with even more matrix broadcasting sites. I wouldn't say there isn't any Free Press in a world with a global information network that cannot be controlled.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #31 on: <10-29-12/0917:57> »
Did you even bother reading the very next sentence in my post, Kot? Yes, there are 'independent' news sources, just as there are now. How much credence do you lend the National Enquirer? How reliable are blogs? How many viral videos are 'proven' to be hoaxes? The fact that there were AIs was commonly known in the shadows within a couple months of the SCIRE locking down. And yet to the general public (even black bag researchers in AAA corps) their existence was a thing of matrix myth until Sojourner and Pulsar decided to say hello by jacking first a space station and then every trid screen and matrix feed on Earth. The Otaku were known in the shadows even before the Shutdown began, and the public didn't find out about them until the Technomancer scare.

In other words, if the Big 10 want something kept quiet, it doesn't matter that the shadows and the underworld know the score, the wageslaves and sheeple won't have a clue so long as they effectively 'debunk' and marginalize those sources that don't toe the party line, and keep major news under wraps for a decade or more, easily.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <10-29-12/0930:47> »
The reason for that is simple, Sichr. There is no such thing as a 'free press' in 2074. There are news outlets owned by the corps (who have decided that mass panic is bad for business, and GeMiTo is practically the Chicago of Europe), and then there's tabloids and pirate and shadow news outlets, who have limited reporting capabilities, limited distribution, and a lack of 'credibility' as far as the sheeple are concerned. The reason most people are unaware is because they haven't been told, and good corporate sheep don't go looking around on shadow news sites. Whatever they do hear is reports from someplace a long way away, and is not nearly as important to them as filing those TPS reports so they don't have to stay late on Saturday.
Hate to tell you there's not exactly alot of free press nowadays. Your seeing the same thing in regards to the Syrian deaths scandal thats happening here in the US. All the main MSM outlest are acting like puppets to the administration and not asking the hard questions. While other outlets and blogs and other places are certainly going after the story.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-29-12/0953:53> »
Scandal? You mean the fact that hundreds of people are getting killed in Syria each week and people are more concerned with college football? As I said in that and other posts, yes, there is a free or 'independent' press, but when the corporate powers want something suppressed, they go about it in the simplest way possible, by discrediting and marginalizing the people who try to get the information out, and then giving people something else to pay attention to, like a new flavor NERPS. Go around the US, and see how many people actually know what is going on in Syria. Then find out how many of those people feel that while it is bad that people are dying, they have more pressing concerns at the moment, like the local economy, and the state of their 401K, or even just whether their team is going to make it to a bowl game.

Bread and circuses, mixed with controlling the main streams to disseminate information and making anyone who says different look like that crazy guy who comes up to you and tells you how there's actually a global conspiracy to keep gas prices high and make sure the New World Order comes to be. They actually touched on this in the Conspiracy Theories book. The principle doesn't just apply to the really out there stuff, but also to anything the powers that be don't want told to the public.

My Characters

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <10-29-12/1448:14> »
Scandal? You mean the fact that hundreds of people are getting killed in Syria each week and people are more concerned with college football?

Actually its 4 dead americans, one an ambasssador(which we havent lost since Carter, ironically), and the story parroted out is reaction to a movie did it and most of the press isnt investigating or going along with it. Meanwhile turns out they watched it in real time with drones, and aid was requested and denied over the hours battle......again, no press looking into the story, actually looking the other way. Except for one outlet and citizen journalists and blogs.

Its the exact same thing as corp/scandal.

Now your talking that lots more people dying in syria and again, much like rwanda, Iran no one really cares.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <10-29-12/1509:26> »
My problem is Aztechnology. You know, the corporation who used to be #1 for media control for the last decades, and still ranks #2.

Their use of blood magic was outed by a dragon in his will. They were expelled from Denver by the open show of force a dragon. They broadcasted live the first death penalty carried on a dragon. They support the Aztlan military in a war against a nation ruled by a dragon, allied with a terrorist organization led by another dragon.

Their entire public image in the past 15 years has been define by opposition to dragons. Where is the reason for Aztechnology not to spread the news that dragons are evil and eat people? Moreover, any news that would pull attention away from events in South America would be good for them. All Aztechnology affiliated medias should be covering the dragon killings in northern Italy in the evening news on a daily schedule.

Reality is, no one gave a crap about rwanda while it happened, inso much they got off their rears to DO something about it. Not EU. Not the US, not really anyone. So the poster was correct, no one cared. They might have said alot of the right things after the fact as caring, but reality when it came to actions/inactions tell another story.
Actually, France sent 2,500 troops in Rwanda in late june 1994. As a comparison, the highest number of French troops in Afghanistan in the last decade never got past 4,000. The French government acted mostly because of public opinion, and would have preferred not getting involved any further : there have been evidence uncovered since of French mercenaries involvement in hutus operations prior to the genocide, including president Habyarimana assassination, and possibly during it.

You can talk about eastern Congo, Sri Lanka, Burma, Karabakh, and the point is made. Rwanda is a much more complicated story.

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #36 on: <10-29-12/1806:23> »
Despite its reputation the National Enquirer is very good at investigating stories it runs. They don't run stories that they can not back in court. To bad they waist on unimportant scandal and gossip.
Andrew Grim

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <10-29-12/1917:36> »

You can talk about eastern Congo, Sri Lanka, Burma, Karabakh, and the point is made. Rwanda is a much more complicated story.

http://hmd.org.uk/resources/education/rwandan-timeline

No. It really isnt that much more complicated.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #38 on: <10-29-12/1950:50> »
The reason for that is simple, Sichr. There is no such thing as a 'free press' in 2074.
There were any in 2050?

Or 2012 for that matter?  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #39 on: <10-29-12/2009:05> »
All I can say is that the gemito stuff struck a cord, more so then the attacks on cas.  Which is a credit to the author, in that that one section has inspired so much discussion.
I for one would like to see a future product return to gemito in more detail and resolve this plot thread. Given that its a major thorn in lowfyr's side, I guess its a given.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #40 on: <10-29-12/2040:16> »
There were any in 2050?

Or 2012 for that matter?  :P

Xactly what Ive said in the last sentence.....

Doesnt matter

question is:

Quote from: Feral Cities, p.1180
TURIN
The millennial city is now full of burnt-out ruins, the once-pristine golden stucco of the baroque-style buildings darkened by
acid rain and fires or destroyed altogether in the years of riots and
ongoing gang warfare. Th e only exception is the old town center,
which remains a safe haven. The ancient buildings there still stand,
testament to the glorious days of Italian architecture. At the heart
of old town is the Sylvestrine friars’ Societá Th aumaturgica, a
school for Gifted children and the center of old town’s civic pride.
Brother Dario is the Abbot of the school, although Brother Gianni
is the community liaison and the person most well known outside
the school’s walls. Th e friars are active in the small community,
and the street witches and mages that graduate from the school
help out the friars and the city as best they can. Some attribute
the peace of the inner city to the good works of the friars. Others
whisper of powers that lie below the city in the catacombs of the
Grande Madre Church

what happened to sylvestrians...since they play significant role in artefacts campaign, I dont expect them to fall easily
« Last Edit: <10-30-12/0309:54> by Sichr »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <10-29-12/2114:18> »
All I can say is that the gemito stuff struck a cord, more so then the attacks on cas.  Which is a credit to the author, in that that one section has inspired so much discussion.
I for one would like to see a future product return to gemito in more detail and resolve this plot thread. Given that its a major thorn in lowfyr's side, I guess its a given.

This is true! And I'm glad to see it discussed. Yet another front in the Dragon Civil War, eh wot? Only this one's a tad personal, since it's Alamais.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <10-29-12/2144:54> »
Well, the Azzies have their hands full with a full on war with Amazonia, trying to counter Horizon's fun and games at their expense, and the rest. But really, it boils down to "What does this gain us?" You don't think Aztechnology is on a crusade against dragons, do you? They want Sirrurg and Ghostwalker dead, sure, but what profit is in it for them if they go raising a stink in someplace that is painfully close to Lofwyr's back yard? Moreover, while i'm sure they wouldn't say it in public, the fact is that if all the great dragons decided that they'd had enough of Aztechnology's bull, and decided to declare war, the Azzies would lose. See how much trouble they're having with Sirrurg, and he's just one great dragon.

Oh, and there's the fact that Saeder-Krupp is in control of the Corporate Court committee dealing with problems like that this year. And the Azzies aren't in a position to go flaunting the Court, not when there are nine other corps on the court who would be all too eager to take bites out of the Azzies. If a gag order has been imposed, then Aztechnology would have to stand to gain more than they would lose to risk going against it. And they just don't stand to gain that much from stirring up a panic.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #43 on: <10-30-12/0057:52> »
Sichr ... you really, really do need to proof your posts.

And as Mirikon said.  Not only that, though, but if you were in a war with one, maybe two Great Dragons (isn't one of the others helping Sirrurg out with Aztlan, or is it only an adult or two?) and you went and blew the lid off GeMiTo, don't you think that that'd basically be giving license to that dragon to come 'play' in your country as well??  And not just one who does military strikes (well, relatively military ones, anyhow), but one - a whole group!! - who's going to be treating your entire damn country as a place for out-and-out occupation-and-feeding?  Seems it might be kind of a stupid idea to me ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <10-30-12/0126:12> »
Amazonia had three Great Dragons at one point, I do believe. Sirrurg was one, Hualpa was another, and I want to say Pobre was the third, though he obviously branched off into the Yucatan instead. (I don't think that the third was ever officially named, other than being a 'great feathered dragon', so, there are a few candidates. Aden (A sirrush, but close enough to confuse), Arleesh (Who woke up too late, but), and maybe the Rain Queen. Short list!)

Ghostwalker in Denver means that four or five Greats have an eye on Aztlan. Not a happy place, to be certain. :)