NEWS

Elf Sam with the power of Going First (5th)

• 12 Replies

Deadborder

• Chummer
  • For love and free Thuds
« on: <12-22-14/0823:52> »
I've been wanting to play Shadowrun forever, but it's only in the last six months that I've gotten a chance to actually do it. Now I'm working on a concept idea I've been sitting on for... oh, a decade-plus now. It's pretty simple; an Elf Sam who is fast and beats everyone in the initiative stakes.

This is a WiP, looking for some feedbacks.

Priorities
Metatype   D   Elf/0
Attribues   B   20
Magic   E   0
Skills   C   28/2
Resources   A   450000

Basics
Initiative   12   +3D6
Mental   4   
Physical   9   
Social   4   
Phys CM   11   
Stun CM   10   

Attributes
BODY   4 (6)
AGI   7 (9)
REA   5 (9)
STR   4 (6)
WIL   3
LOG   2
INT   3
CHA   3
EDG   1
ESS   6 (0.3)
MAG   0

Skill Grups
Athletics      2

Skills
Automatics      4
Blades      4
Ettiquette      2
Longarms      4
Perception      2
Pilot Ground      2
Pistols      4
Sneaking      2
Unarmed Combat      4

Qualities (still unfinished)
Toughness
Prejudiced (Wage Slaves)
Thrill Seeker

Cyberwear
Wired Reflexes 2
Reaction Enhancers 2 (Alpha)
Aluminim Bone Lacing
Muscle Augmentation 2 (Alpha)
Muscle Toner 2 (Alpha)
Datajack
Cybereyes (Alpha)
 - Flare compensation
 - Low-light vision
 - Smartlink
 - Thermographic vision
 - Vision enhancement 3
Cyberears (Alpha)
 - Audio Enhancement 3
 - Damper

Gear
Combat Knife
Katana
Walther Palm Pistol
 - 10 rounds
 - Hidden arm slide
Ares Predator V
 - 2 spare clips
 - 100 rounds
 - 20 explosive rounds
 - Concealable holster
HK-227
 - 2 spare clips
 - 100 rounds
 - 50 AP rounds
Ares Alpha
 - 4 spare clips
 - 200 rounds
 - 50 AP rounds
 - 6 HE Grenades

Fake Sin 4
 - Fake Gun Licence 4
 - Fake Cyberware Licence 4
 - Fake Concealed Carry Licence 4
Middle Lifestyle (2 months)
Lined coat
 - Fire Resistance 3
 - Nonconductivity 3
Meta Link commlink
Suzuki Mirage

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-22-14/1241:08> »
I would encourage you to rethink the Meta priority. Edge is highly useful for when you want to go first (Blitz).

Sure, you are rolling 12+3d6, but you could be going 14+5d6 if you had more edge to spare. (Capitalize more on Inituition as well. It gives you free dodge dice, and helps with perception)

So I would consider moving resources to a B, go with some used 'ware and focus more on fewer skills to allow you to bump up meta type to something higher. (I would personally go with a human to allow for 5+ edge on a sam)

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <12-22-14/1356:44> »
Well, I wouldn't say it's going to go first all the time. In fact, you will pretty reliably be beat by Physical Adepts who are rocking 12 - 14 + 4d6.

The highest you can get as a mundane with any of the normal metatypes (excluding Run Faster) is 17 + 3d6 (you can get to 5d6 with Kamikaze or Jazz).

As TormDK said, I would shift to Human for the Extra Edge.

You have way too many combat skills. You do not need 5 ways to deal damage to someone. If you are going with Bone Lacing, drop Blades. Keep with Longarms + Pistols, or drop to Automatics only for your gun skills. Get 6's in them and a specialization, if you want. Up your Perception (Visual Specialization is always useful) and Sneaking (Any specialization, recommend Urban); perhaps pick up one rank in Palming as well.

Other than that, no glaring weaknesses that I can see.

Glaive

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-24-14/1528:44> »
There's a perk in Run Faster called Adrenaline Surge which literally just lets you go first in the first round of combat. Its only contested by other people with Adrenaline Surge and spending Edge. Might be worth considering.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <09-25-15/0028:59> »
I presume this is Crimson, out of your campaign blog.  I would - well, I would have - somewhat rebalanced the attributes.  While I agree on the Charisma being rock-bottom, since you're boosting your Strength and Body via cybernetics, you don't need those as high as you have them.  Intuition is needful for initiative as well, and having someone with a 2 Logic can just be outright painful.  I would have taken Body and Strength down by 2 points each, and made Will/Logic/Intuition a 4.  I agree with the elf (that might just be me ...), and though going first is good, being accurate is better.  As 8-Bit says - drop the weapon skills down to 2, 3 at most.  I personally would have had 2, Pistols and Unarmed, both at 6, and blades or longarms at a 2, with the understanding with the GM that I'd have the ability (due to back-story) to bring my other combat skills up as I gained the karma.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Deadborder

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-15/0557:46> »
That's a very old/first draft version of her. A lot changed between that and the final play version (which in turn is now rather out of date due to Karma and junk). But you get the idea.

She's a little nuts. But rolling 3d6+13 Initiative is so much fun...

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-15/0839:09> »
I would rethink some of the cheap, high-ESS warehouse favor of more expensive ware that has lower ESS and lets you cram more in.

Bone Aug instead of Bone Lacing, Muscle Toner/Aug instead of Replacement.

I'd also get Used REA Enhancers so you can get level 3.

Consider just getting a retinal smartlink and putting all your other eye and ear mods in contacts, glasses, and earbuds. That will save a lot of money.

Your INT is kind of painfully low. and your BOD isn't 6 for any purpose except damage resistance tests. That is an important distinction. I might steal 1 BOD and 1 LOG and put them into INT.

Toughness is a much worse quality than Agile Defender for this character. I'd also consider Jack of All Trades.

Way too many combat skills.

1 Edge is kinda painful
Playability > verisimilitude.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-25-15/0922:40> »
Can you toss in the new version?  :)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-15/0952:02> »
I wouldn't use Alphaware on Muscle Toner or Augmentation.  Personally I'd go used.

Qualities, Toughness, not so good.  If you have access to Chrome Flesh Biocompatible Cyberware would be a great pick up for this character.

Skills "C" Samurai
Athletics Group 2
Sneak 6
Perception 6
Automatics 6
Whatever melee skill 6

With 4 points left over throw around specializations or grab one low skill and a specialization. 

Pilot Ground Vehicles 1 with 2 Karma
Etiquette 1 with 2 Karma
Thrown Weapons or Heavy Weapons 1 with 2 Karma
And if you want to have "extra" Combat skills, grab level 1 or 2 with Karma as well.  Preferably post chargen with Jack of all Trades.

Logic 1, move that point to Intuition and bump Logic to 2 with Karma.  Logic 1 to 2 costs you 10 Karma, Intuition 3 to 4 costs you 20.  At chargen either costs you 1 stat point so get the expensive one.  I'd also recommend body 3 and move that to intuition as well.  Reaction 10 plus Intuition 5 is 15 +3d6 initiative. 

Other Karma, Edge to 2? 

Other qualities, I love Perfect Time on Samurai characters when combined with the Ares line of specialty Armor with Gear access.  Swapping out weapons, grenades, different Ammo, all gets real easy.  YMMV.

And I swear there is a quality that literally is "you always go first".  Adrenaline Surge?  Something like that.  Run Faster or Run and Gun IIRC.  For a character who's shtick is going first that seems like an appropriate quality.   

Deadborder

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-15/1025:14> »
Given that I've been playing the character for over six months and that the final version of the sheet was very different to this, any critique is largely moot

Hache

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <09-25-15/1041:23> »
Maybe you could give us the last version of the sheet, and were you are now with the karma/nuyen you got. We could give you some more useful advice.

If your goal is not to take advice, then previous posters made some good advice at tweaking your initial sheet, it will allow futur runners to not fall into some traps of your initial sheet.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-25-15/1126:21> »
Given that I've been playing the character for over six months and that the final version of the sheet was very different to this, any critique is largely moot
Didn't realize that this thread had been bumped from December 2014. I blame Wyrm's necro.  :P
Playability > verisimilitude.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-26-15/0035:20> »
I counter-blame her IC blog posting!!  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line