NEWS

Weapon Quality

• 48 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #45 on: <09-20-10/1002:49> »
Wow all this cause I asked about weapon quality! I'm touched. Thanks guys I've had fun reading the pros & cons here. stay civil and keep discussing.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Captain Chaos

• Newb
« Reply #46 on: <09-20-10/1348:58> »
You mean like the mono-filament swords with their blade edge one molecule wide? Those have the same statistics as a regular katana...

Which clearly are not mono filament, because everything else with a mono edge is -4 AP.

Those same metal alloys are now also available to the master craftsman. Folding is proven to be stronger than a cast/pressed blade. I do agree that there are machines that would be able to created a forged/folded blade, so it could be on the same level of a master craftsman.

Working with modern steels, folding does jack*shit. I'm a materials engineer, I do this for a living. These days, I don't need to fold steel to get the right carbon content. I can buy it, with much greater accuracy.  With a good forge, you could pattern weld a blade much better than anything any forgemaster could produce within a day.

Given the vast improvement of materials in shadowrun, not to mention smart software and drones, the only reason you would hand forge something would be for the process of enchanting.

I'll grant you that most mass produced blades are shite, but that;s because they are designed to be cheap and easy to manufacture, not because they are machined.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #47 on: <09-20-10/1358:29> »
I'm on the Machining end of your argument Cap'n. I can cut & grind a blade quite easily also it may take longer for the Smith to work a sword, but never & I do mean never put it past a craftsman to match the quality of a machined blade. Yes it will take longer (lots longer) But I will wager the hand crafter blade will match the machined one. Hand crafting a weapon for the Run would be superior for a magiced blade due to the physical/Psychic energies spent.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #48 on: <09-21-10/0231:30> »
You can see too the AP as a way to "modulate" the DV without giving a complete extra DV.
The ability to pierce armor and to cut something, physically speaking not very different.
1AP = 1/3 DV statisticly speaking.

Don't forget the optional combat rules from Arsenal.

Any reach 1 weapon is considered to be 1-handed.  Wielding it with two hands increases the DV by 1. 
That matches the DV of a katana with a combat axe.  The only advantage of the combat axe being its reach.

Personally, I wouldn't really expect that to come up too often though.  If you're using a 1-handed weapon, you should go for Kali's damaging disarm Martial Arts quality and get the disarm and two weapon fighting maneuvers.  That way you can attack, while going on full parry, and if anyone attacks you, it's an opposed test of their skill + attribute vs. your skill + skill + attribute.  Pretty much a guarantee that you hurt any attackers and strip them of their weapon.

Except for the guys who shoot you to death..