NEWS

How much Edge at character creation?

• 10 Replies

skalchemist

• Omae
« on: <10-04-19/1337:49> »
In my own experiments creating characters (we will start playing next month) I tend to end up with characters with fairly low Edge ratings; I always feel like having the point in a physical/mental attribute or skill seems better.  But looking at the example characters in the rulebook plus reading conversations here, it seems others really prioritize a high Edge rating at the start.

What do you think the value of a high Edge rating compared to other things?  What basis do you use for that judgement?  I'm very curious how people think through this. 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-04-19/1341:22> »
Well, Edge is a profoundly valuable asset.  The game revolves around it. 

Even though everyone has a cap of 7 no matter what their attribute is, there's the inherent advantage of starting with a bunch of ready-to-spend points compared to having to first generate them.

Spend-generate-spend again! vs Generate-spend-generate again...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-04-19/1357:44> »
To supplement SSDR's comment, I mentally equate each point of edge to "free" d6s. At a minimum they are a reroll once per turn (Not round).

They are potentially more powerful, see anticipation, and a higher edge means I can open with a big action if needed.

More subtle, a big edge pool overcomes a foe who uses their dice to directly affect me.
GM in training
for a long, long time now

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-04-19/1409:41> »
Start fight with high Edge, spend like water, then regain after the toughest opponents are gone.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-04-19/1412:35> »
@skalchemist Are you talking about Fifth Edition or Sixth?

In 5th Edition, Edge is a superpower and don't let anyone tell you differently.

In 6th Edition, it's somewhat dependent on any house rules you have in place, but there's a very real advantage to starting with a solid amount so that you can hit first, hit hard, and have control of the fight from the very beginning.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-04-19/1415:01> »
To supplement SSDR's comment, I mentally equate each point of edge to "free" d6s. At a minimum they are a reroll once per turn (Not round).

They are potentially more powerful, see anticipation, and a higher edge means I can open with a big action if needed.

More subtle, a big edge pool overcomes a foe who uses their dice to directly affect me.

They're worth more than bonus d6s.  They unlock "I Win" edge actions, which you can use right away in a fight if you start with high edge, rather than having to wait to unlock by generating edge.

Not only do you get Knockout Blows and Anticipates right out of the gate, you can use them a SECOND time in the same fight... just in case the first expenditure didn't win the fight right then and there...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-04-19/1416:48> »
@skalchemist Are you talking about Fifth Edition or Sixth?
6th Edition only, that is all I'm contemplating playing at the moment.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-04-19/1418:06> »
Just remember any houserules or errata to edge gains. If you play it with max 2 per player turn, or with a higher max. Then the edge attribute is somewhat devalued
« Last Edit: <10-04-19/1424:16> by DigitalZombie »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-04-19/1419:25> »
Just remember any houserules or errata to edge gains. If you play it with max 2 per player turn, or withva higher max. Then the edge attribute is somewhat devalued

I'd say the opposite is true.  If you can only gain 2 per round, it pays to start with a bunch rather than waiting a while to generate a bunch.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-04-19/1419:36> »
Look at the Edge actions applicable for your character's specialty.  Do you want to do those right away or can you wait a couple go rounds to do it.

For social characters, there isn't much opportunity to gain more edge during an interaction.  Maybe one or two.  So if you anticipate a Social character using Edge (you should), you'll want to start with at least a Moderate Edge score to have a target re-roll hits.

Mages?  Mages look to have several opportunities to gain edge.  Reagents, Spirit Affinity, Analytical Mind for Heremitics, combat... Mage might be fine with minimal Edge to start and pick a few points up along the way.  As there are no Magic Specific Edge Actions (yet), no real burning reason for high starting Edge.

Hackers.  Analytical mind and not much else, especially against hosts.  Probably want to start with a moderate amount to force re-rolls on Wild Dice from Overclock or on opposing success. 

Combat characters.  Anticipate is gold, if you're carting around guns start with 4 Edge or more.  If you're a melee build Knock out blow and Shank are low cost so you're probably fine with just a couple.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-04-19/1432:12> »
Just remember any houserules or errata to edge gains. If you play it with max 2 per player turn, or withva higher max. Then the edge attribute is somewhat devalued

I'd say the opposite is true.  If you can only gain 2 per round, it pays to start with a bunch rather than waiting a while to generate a bunch.

Sorry, my post wasnt clear.

I mean the current rules are max 2 per round.
If you decide to increase that max- for instance that you can earn 2 per player turn ( including NPCs) or that you can a max of 4 each time, then the edge attribute isnt as valuable ( but still valuable enough for some).