Do You Ever Act As Both Player And GM?

• 94 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #90 on: <07-29-11/0743:19> »
Mod *is* taking notice.

You've both agreed to disagree on this, so either take the discussion to Private Messages or drop it completely.

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #91 on: <07-29-11/0949:03> »
I really disagree, Joe. When I gm I am attached to my npcs and my pc, they are all special to me in some way. Just because I consider one of them to be my character doesn't mean he/she gets any special treatment and I treat them exactly like I would if they were a pc. It seems like you haven't tried this before and have a negative impression of it. Either that or you saw a gm handle it poorly. An experienced gm can handle it so I don't see ANY reason to say that gmpc's don't exist.

The difference is that you are rping your character as not being privy to any of the details of your campaign that are not known by your pc. It takes true commitment to rp and it get's easier and easier to avoid metagaming.

An "experienced GM who can handle it" is probably a good 5 years from growing into an experienced GM that knows better.

I am going to say one thing and then abandon this thread.  This is STAGGERINGLY arrogant on your part OnionMan.  Basically you are saying you are the better GM and anyone else is too stupid to know they are doing it wrong.  Wrong  on both counts.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #92 on: <07-29-11/1028:15> »
Now, why did you have to go there?  :-\

I don't want to annoy Fastjack...that's just a bad idea.

But now you've gone and said that, and I am honor bound to defend Onion Man. *sigh*

What Onion Man said is in no way any more arrogant or condescending than what Shadowjack wrote. I don't say that to be argumentative, but to point out that Onion Man was defending me - or at least my point - not attacking Shadowjack.

This was a good topic...sad to see it go down like this.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophit

« Last Edit: <07-29-11/1034:50> by JoeNapalm »

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #93 on: <07-29-11/1142:41> »
Harumph.  Mods never let me be disruptive in public...

@Spam

A fool learns from nothing.
An intelligent man learns the lessons of his own observations.
A wise man learns the lessons of the observations of others.

I've seen a lot of GMs grow through the decades, and have done so myself.  A GM running a GMPC has failed at their craft or is fooling themselves into believing that the presence of their plot tool hasn't shattered the competitive dynamic of a role playing game.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #94 on: <07-29-11/1319:55> »
Well, I asked nicely. Now I'm locking the thread until people can continue without impressing personal opinions on others.