NEWS

High armor PC's

• 253 Replies

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #240 on: <03-07-11/0100:32> »
The armor spell glows (Bright blue iirc). That should deal with the invisibility.
What's his quickness? Are you enforcing the encumbrance rules?

Mages after a certain point are extremely powerful. It becomes very tough to counter them.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #241 on: <03-07-11/0800:10> »
lol so, sorry if this has been said, I only read the first 9 pages *gasp* and the amount of off topic made my head spin ;) lol.

lots of great idea's here but my tank is a mage, none of the magic I throw at him works because of sheilding. He always has 10+ dice in it as he uses assault rifles and sustained spells. Acid sounds good but the Armor spell is on top, would the acid get through? Can you call shot to negate armor when he has a 10 force armor spell, full suit form-fitted body armor, and a full suit a security armor (all of which cover head to toe)? Oh BTW he's always invisible and silenced (indirect illusions are only resisted if the observer has a reason to suspect something is there), with an elemental scouting for astral targets that can give him away.

I'm having a hard time hurting him with out slaughtering the others
A) With this many sustained spells, he has to have either a bunch of foci, or a bunch of spirits sustaining them. Either of those will draw attention (unless he's taking multiple -2 penalties for sustaining each spell? But I doubt it...)
B) Even the most minor ward (breached or not) will glow like crazy if this guy walks past it
C) FAB Bacteria will mess with his spells, as will motion sensors, pressure sensors, MAD scanners or many forms of other easily-accessible security detection
D) A F1 watcher spirit will see him, and these are rented out to even low level corps
E) Dual natured watchdogs (Barghests, Hell Hounds etc) will have fun with him
F) Spirit/Critter powers will work wonders on him. Most don't get any Counterspelling defense
G) It's hard work to get Security armour onto most runs. Give them a few where they can't sneak armour or assault rifles into the mission
H) You can't call a shot to negate armour, but you can do +4DV. That can hurt a person.
I) There's ALWAYS someone tougher. A single Astrally perceiving enemy (Ghoul? Perceiving Mage?) with any of the below will knock him on his ass, especially with a couple of net successes:
-- LMG on Tripod: Full Auto Narrow burst = 15P. Average you'll need 45 dice to soak that.
-- SMG with APDS and Full auto also = lots. 45+ dice to soak
-- TAZER of any calibre with a called shot will get you to 14DV and HALF-IMPACT armour.
-- Unarmed/Melee Combat with knockdown tests
J) Reflecting ward at a nice high force (Street Magic). Happy boy walks through, and if he's lucky, he doesn't fall unconscious. However all his seperate foci and suatained spells are fried.
K) It takes time and effort to layer sustained spells and armour like this. Surprise him at some stage
L) It takes 10 successes to get R10 armour, and a F10 spell to boot just to try it (unless rolling Edge every time). Are you enforcing drain on this guy at all? Also, this requires a F10 focus or F10 spirit to sustain (o.O) if you're letting the PC play with these power levels with no consequence, I'm begginning to think this issue may be your own damn fault!
M) Acid spell is resisted with Counterspelling and Half-impact armour. Yes it will get through eventually but unlikely to be fast enough with all the Counterspelling and armour dice we're talking about.
N) Invisible and silenced does NOT mean intangible. The PC still has physical form, so water, mist, air currents, puddles, adept powers (Mana sense I think it is? Or Sensing Metamagic) will pick the PC up no worries.
O)
The armor spell glows (Bright blue iirc). That should deal with the invisibility.
Glow definitely. Blue colour however is an old edition holdover :)
Either way, this should allow automatic rolls to resist the Invisibility indirect illusion
P) Indirect illusion only works on technology (Cameras, microphones etc) with 5+ successes on the spellcasting test (to beat the Object resistance). This requires 15 spellcasting dice (on average) or 20 dice to automatically buy the successes. I'd definately make him roll this, and the required drain, every damn time.

There, so that's what, 15 ways to screw with any munchkin-mage. Have fun ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #242 on: <03-07-11/1004:52> »
My 3rd ed. book is packed away right now or I'd help more. Some of what Charybdis said is 4ed specific, but a lot can be made to work.

I will add FAB III is your friend.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

WareWolf

• Newb
« Reply #243 on: <03-07-11/1959:07> »
Magic dead zone, drones with LMG's, serve with a side of Olive oil to smooth things over.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #244 on: <03-07-11/2017:43> »
-- TAZER of any calibre with a called shot will get you to 14DV and HALF-IMPACT armour.
what kind of tasers do you have in your game, the normal ones in the book do 6S and the troll takedown one does 8S, so thats 10S and 12S with a called shot for +4 damage.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #245 on: <03-07-11/2101:04> »
what kind of tasers do you have in your game, the normal ones in the book do 6S and the troll takedown one does 8S, so thats 10S and 12S with a called shot for +4 damage.
My apology, I was remembering the 3rd Ed Defiance which was 10S. You are correct, in that the 4th ed version is 8S(e), +4DV = 12S.

My bad.

Still, 12S(e) with Half-Impact armour (plus net successes) is going to ignore a lot of this Munchkin-mage power....

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #246 on: <03-08-11/0039:46> »
Large Burst or Full Auto with S&S Ammo. Expensive but also effective

with expensive & effective Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #247 on: <03-08-11/1557:45> »
Or that full auto revolver we're talking about in another thread with SnS.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #248 on: <03-09-11/1922:04> »
What purpose does the full auto revolver serve in this, S&S has a fixed damage code, so a machine pistol works just as well and lets you fire more then one burst before realoading.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #249 on: <03-09-11/1923:19> »
What purpose does the full auto revolver serve in this, S&S has a fixed damage code, so a machine pistol works just as well and lets you fire more then one burst before realoading.
Oh crap  :o The S&S argument has been revived in this thread... Again:-X

*ducks for cover*

Phreak Commandment V:

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #250 on: <03-14-11/1036:07> »
I was going to suggest an evil, possibly goateed, twin, but I think that list was better.  Still...immovable object meets immovable object!
Alternatively, don't attack him.  Think like a civil engineer, not a mountain climber.  Play mind games with him.  Go after his friends.  Ruin his credit rating, or his reputation (another use for the evil twin).
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #251 on: <03-14-11/1247:30> »
Or have his face show up on the news next to the image of the little girl trying not to cry while she explains (in vague child-like terms) what her daddy did to her.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #252 on: <03-14-11/1842:30> »
Or have his face show up on the news next to the image of the little girl trying not to cry while she explains (in vague child-like terms) what her daddy did to her.
Interesting tangent:
A family member had HER picture in the paper for an technical article, but in one of those classic twists of media idiocy, the headline for a different article was placed over her picture as:
Child sex offender on the loose.

We framed the page.

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #253 on: <03-14-11/2238:11> »
Wait, the media actually is intelligent at times?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11