Shadowrun Missions Living Campaign > Living Campaign Discussion

SR6 FAQ

<< < (2/12) > >>

penllawen:

--- Quote from: Beta on ---Where are you finding this?  I don't see a link on this forum?

--- End quote ---
I had to dig it out of the SRM discord, which is linked from the SRM website.

Michael Chandra:
It got posted on the Discord for now, I'm guessing it will be officially posted soonish (might be checking into a slightly-fixed v1.1 due to typos?).

Hobbes:

--- Quote from: Lormyr on ---
--- Quote from: markelphoenix on ---I believe it's due to Cultured Bioware being extremely tailored to a specific individual, so much so that it's effectively a tailored made organ specifically for their body, vs none cultured bioware that is more generic in nature.

--- End quote ---

I get that logic. My point is the core rules do not use that logic though, as used cultured bioware is allowed in general for the game, so why do we feel the need to disallow that for Missions? It's not exactly a game balance problem.

--- End quote ---

Beta and Delta grades are also allowed at char gen in the CRB, but not for Missions.  I'm not sure why as Nuyen/Essence sliders were never really an issue. 

The rest I thought was good.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: Lormyr on ---A few points, praises, and criticisms worth bringing up:

Downtime
Overall I like the way this was implemented, especially ditching training times for adding value to Lifestyle choice instead, which previously has basically been an irrelevant choice.
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear you like it! Making lifestyle count for more was a personal priority.  And though this, we even found a way to un-ban the Street lifestyle!

--- Quote ---On the other hand, I think that the 1 major/1 minor or 3 minor actions between each Mission is really going to limit the building and growth of some character types. Especially when you consider wanting to work for the man/people, there is too much to do for some characters and being that limited won't allow for a fraction of it unless the karma and nuyen rewards are being substantially reduced from Chicago's Season.
--- End quote ---

The opportunity cost is the intended point.  Not only are training times yeeted, it's now more comparatively attractive to invest karma in attributes and skills than on things like spells that have a tiny (karma) cost for huge benefit. 

--- Quote ---Augmented Skills
I see that SSDR's preferred interpretation of the skill augmentation made it to the FAQ. Overall it is a fine way to run the rule, but it does leave a few odd inconsistencies that I think need considered.

For example, any foci that adds to a skill roll (such as power, spellcasting, summoning, ect.) has no value in being over rating 4, but others that do not add to a skill roll (such as centering and qi) still go as high as you care to afford. It just makes for a really unsophisticated application to me.
--- End quote ---

Well, it remains to be seen how BGCs will work this time around.  But if they work like they did in 5e, a rating 6 focus still works in a rating 4 or 5 background count, whereas the rating 4won't.

Furthermore, you're overlooking negative dice.  -2 dice from damage and +6 dice from gear puts you at a net of +4, which caps out your augmented skill still.  The rating 4 focus would have only put you at a net +2.

--- Quote ---Bioware/Cyberware
I know this rule existed previously as well, but I personally can't think of any good reason why we shouldn't allow characters to purchase used cultured bioware. Can someone explain to me why that choice was made?

--- End quote ---

Campaign availability restriction.  Think of it like Neo-Tokyo altering the availability of guns.

Lormyr:

--- Quote from: Hobbes on ---Beta and Delta grades are also allowed at char gen in the CRB, but not for Missions.  I'm not sure why as Nuyen/Essence sliders were never really an issue. 

The rest I thought was good.
--- End quote ---

Very true, and also unnecessary imo.

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---The opportunity cost is the intended point.  Not only are training times yeeted, it's now more comparatively attractive to invest karma in attributes and skills than on things like spells that have a tiny (karma) cost for huge benefit.
--- End quote ---

See, I am fine with the concept of a time limit opportunity cost, but I can tell just by looking at that chart, knowing character build options, and the cost of those options that it is going to be too restrictive if the average 7 karma/12,000Y per mission carries over from Chicago. There will be points that cannot get spent in some cases, which is silly.

The better choice would have just been to alter spell costs if cost for impact is a concern, or you know, just have balanced the base system better. . .(this is the only jab I'll take, I promise!)

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Well, it remains to be seen how BGCs will work this time around.  But if they work like they did in 5e, a rating 6 focus still works in a rating 4 or 5 background count, whereas the rating 4won't.

Furthermore, you're overlooking negative dice.  -2 dice from damage and +6 dice from gear puts you at a net of +4, which caps out your augmented skill still.  The rating 4 focus would have only put you at a net +2.
--- End quote ---

So here is my problem with this.

1. BGC don't exist. So interpreting a rule for a thing that doesn't exist is pointless unless/until it does.

2. The logic of the negative dice example doesn't flow for me. I have magic 6 + spellcasting 6 + 2 specialization + 4 spellcasting focus for 18 dice. If I take a negative 2 from to that pool from something how does that alter or change the fact that my pool has still already been augmented by +4?

If we are going to go with a skill test can bear +4 dice after all modifications (both pos and negative) are factored in that is fine, but you have to admit that is just a really sloppy "fix".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version