NEWS

6E Invisibility and Combat

• 4 Replies

markelphoenix

• Omae
« on: <09-01-19/2015:11> »
So, Lets say someone has awesome threshold for Invisibility, lets says it's Improve Invisibility (8). How is that handled in combat if they continue to sustain? Is it counted as a simple auto edge any time they're attacked?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-01-19/2109:17> »
It's GM discretion, but yes that seems like a probable outcome.

Unless of course the attacker has Ultrasound.  Or maybe you're standing in water and they can see the voids left by your feet.  Or maybe they've opened up a bag of flour and shaken the powder out into the air.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-01-19/2135:33> »
I had assumed I missed it. Being invisible means it sort of maybe helps you if the GM is feeling like it?  It’s a status so I assumed that status had an effect.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-01-19/2150:48> »
Well, it does.  Invisible # means a threshold of # to see the target.

If the threshold is met, then obviously it's doing nothing. However, assuming the threshold is not met, then you're not seen.  That is, is most cases, a decided circumstantial advantage for the determine edge phase of an attack.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-01-19/2211:01> »
Step 2 of Combat p. 105 "Distribute Edge" is pretty wide open.  When talking about visibility:  "....Compare and toss an Edge to whoever has the advantage...."

Invisibility would certainly qualify as an advantage if the opponent didn't have some counter measure for it.  Have an Edge, on to step 3.