NEWS

Anyone ever quit smoking?

• 20 Replies

Chipped

• Newb
  • I never asked for this.
« on: <08-10-13/1953:17> »
Okay i'm a heavy cigar smoker and i'm trying to quit with nicotine gum, but the cravings for cigars intensified. If you have quit I wouldn't mind your advice and tips. Tired of smoking a pack a cigarettes during a PnP game sesh.
"Is that God you're talking about? Or just a bunch of New Age crap?" JC Denton

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-13/2137:50> »
Addiction rules can be found in Sim Dreams and Nightmares and SR5:D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-13/2152:45> »
I quit smoking Ecigs and cigarettes a while ago. My best advice is Nic gum and anything cinnamon that pretty much got me through all of it.
$/@mmZ3r0

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-13/2206:08> »
Cigars are a big ritual thing too (besides the nicotine), so it makes sense if the gum doesn't fully "do it" for you. Just makes you want the ritual. I would suggest working out if you're so inclined, or just walking even, when you get a bad craving - something physical. When I quit smoking after college, I did it by being able to identify and then 1.) remove myself from trigger situations and 2.) physically doing something else instead (for me it was play guitar or ride a bike... or drink more >.<, I don't endorse that one). Maybe for you it's just reading or playing a video game or taking the dog on a walk, something you enjoy that's not a punishment.

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #4 on: <08-11-13/0012:28> »
Cold turkey when I physically had to.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Syrinx

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-11-13/0013:02> »
I carried around a toothpick wrapped in paper that was about the size of a half smoked cigarette.  I "smoked" it during regular smoke breaks and always had it in my hands/mouth while driving.  I tell you what, just the action of smoking and ashing it helped so many of the urges.  Besides that I won't bs you, it sucked for the first couple weeks and then again about 3 months later, but 5 years later I'm enjoying the cash I've saved.

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <08-11-13/0103:14> »
I chewed peppermints and wintergreen lifesavers for months after I quit smoking the first time.  It might help.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-11-13/0113:47> »
Funny I should run across this, I used to smoke (Pall Mall studs) quit that because the Sheriff's office I worked for didn't allow smoking in the patrol vehicles. My supervisor offered me a dip of Skoal which has been a monkey on back ever since. For reference when I first started a pack cost 75 cents and you could get them out of vending machines. Longest I have quit for was a year, latest was 8 months which ended with a thud as I fell off the wagon three days ago.

I do it cold turkey but the cravings last for a hell of a long time after that. It is a long and brutal battle...but...you already know that.

Not much in the way of help, but I am told that misery loves company.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-11-13/0239:33> »
Cold turkey. I tried it with water wings (gum etc) a couple of times, but I found that the smoking cessation stuff just made me think more about smoking.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-11-13/1537:47> »
In my younger,stupider days I was a pack a day guy. One day my father brought me a carton of Russian cigs he got from a client. 2 in and I was done - cheapest grade of tobacco possible that could still be classified as tobacco and these crimped cardboard tubes with  no filter.

Haven't had a desire for one since.

"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Chipped

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-11-13/2127:27> »
I use to smoke something similar to that, but they were flavored tobacco with a camel like filter filled with pipe tobacco. I think that is what got me into smoking was flavored tobacco, and habanos.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #11 on: <08-15-13/0952:34> »
Try electronic cigarettes. With them you can decrease the nicotine level step-by-step while carrying on with the ritual. They make electronic cigars too, if that's your thing. My electronic pipe helped me quit two years ago.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Chipped

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <08-16-13/0005:40> »
Nicotine E-Cigs are banned in Canada, I believe. Or at least in my province atleast.

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-16-13/0144:34> »
I weaned off in a pretty disgusting way. I saved my halfies for the last week I smoked, then smoked 'em again over the next two weeks.

Didn't feel much like smoking after that. 20 years. Done.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #14 on: <08-16-13/0607:15> »
Nicotine E-Cigs are banned in Canada, I believe. Or at least in my province atleast.

You don't say! Why? Is there a reason for this?
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”