NEWS

Wildey's here!

• 12 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <01-29-15/2043:15> »
I wanted to implement this beauty into the game, but I'm somewhat at loss as to what specs it should have.
This particular version has:
-8-inch barrel (concealability +1? +2?),
-muzzle brake (gas vent),
-caliber .475 Wildey Magnum,
-custom, underbarrel rail - ammo isn't compatible with smartgun, but laser sight will work just fine,
-a scope mount,
-extended magazines,
-possibly a personalized grip, depending on opinions,
-extended range, perhaps?

Initial specs:
Accuracy: 6(7 w/ laser sight)
DV: 10P
AP: -2
Mode: SA
RC: 1/2/3 (depending on how good the muzzle break is)
Ammo: 8(10 w/ extended mags)
Concealability: +1(+2 w/ scope)
Note: This gun uses SMG ranges.

Current specs:
Accuracy: 6(7 w/ laser sight)
DV: 10P
AP: -2
Mode: SA
RC: 1/2/3 (depending on how good the muzzle break is)
Ammo: 8(10 w/ extended mags)
Concealability: +1(+2 w/ scope)
Note: This gun's range is extended by 10%, as per Barrel Extension mod(4E "Arsenal").

So, whatdya think?
« Last Edit: <01-30-15/1605:33> by psycho835 »

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-29-15/2107:08> »
From what I've read on Wikipedia about the Wildey it would fall squarely into the Heavy Pistol category in SR.

Using the Ares Predator V as a baseline
Ares Predator V 5 (7) 8P AP–1 SA RC— 15 (c) 5R 725¥

I'd stat it as follows:
Wildey 6(7) 9P AP-1 SA RC 1 8(c) 7R 900¥
Stock Mods: Laser Sight, Gas Vent 1
Only top accessory mount is available for use.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #2 on: <01-29-15/2114:23> »
So, a long-barreled magnum pistol with a scope?  What about it? 

I assume an automatic, given the extended magazine option.  That's not the best bet for a scoped pistol, due to the slide gradually shaking the sight loose.  It's why the majority of scoped hunting pistols are revolvers or a specialty chambering system. 

Not even sure what you mean, that the ammo is incompatible with smartgun systems. 

On top of that, I just compared this to the Ruger Super Warhawk; this 'custom' pistol has 2 more Accuracy, 1 extra DV, 1 extra AP, semi-automatic instead of single-shot and a larger capacity (with the implication that it uses the clip instead of cylinder).  There's no drawbacks or flaws to this pistol, sans the vague 'smartgun incompatible' comment.  You also don't specify what rating the gas-vent for recoil compensation comes at with the pistol, nor the street price.  The modified concealability suggests it's a heavy pistol, but you don't specify. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <01-29-15/2233:53> »
And it uses SMG ranges, remember, so really, you have to start there.

Sounds like a SMG stripped down to some sort of crappy semi-auto quasi-pistol to me.  Charge the idiots who want to buy it at least 15,000¥, plus 450¥ per 10 shots of specialized ammo.  Because remember, in order to reach SMG ranges with an 8-inch barrel, you'd need some really super good chambering, and etc. etc. etc.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-29-15/2325:40> »
Nope, just a pistol used in an old flat vid.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-29-15/2354:01> »
Re-read the ranges he wants to use.  That creates the baseline for the weapon, no matter the rest of it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-15/0004:41> »
Eh, there's a couple of weapons that use modified ranges while being in another category, so it's not an unfeasible option.  I'm more concerned with the blatant 'this gun is better than everything else in almost every way' stats. 

Though, I'm not sure where he's getting the underbarrel rail, gas-vent system or scope-mount from the picture.  That barrel is also past 8 inches, but the wikipedia page mentions a number of barrel length options.  Though, the barrel isn't the biggest issue with long range accuracy, it's the lack of proper bracing.  Though, a barrel that length is pretty ridiculous, all in all; my 'practical' competition-shooting pistol has a 5.31 inch (135mm) barrel. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-15/0014:15> »
I can only think of the LP that uses HP ranges - and that one's specifically touted as being a 'match-grade' weapon, instead of a microscopic barrel that has comparatively-long-range (pinpoint, with that higher accuracy) accuracy.  So I'd start with an SMG to get the range, and cut everything else away.  It might give you the underbarrel rail, though, so that's a bonus.

Like I said - 15,000¥, plus 450¥ per 10 shots of specialized ammo.  Granted, Hawatari's weapon (created via 3e's Cannon Companion rules) is extreme too - high damage, high concealment, etc. etc. - but it doesn't make any bones about being what it is, a heavy pistol.
Pananagutan & End/Line

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-15/0926:47> »
Perhaps I should have specified - this gun is meant for an antagonist. PCs can take it once he's down, though. And yes, I explicitly wanted to make it better than Super Warhawk, guilty as charged.
By "incompatible with smartlink" I meant "vintage" - couldn't remember the name at the time, sorry.
Scope mounts and muzzle brakes are both used with Wildey, as for the underbarrel rail, I stole that from "The Hard Way" - a 1991 flatvid. Here's a pic:

Also, there's a very important detail you are missing - .475 Wildey Magnum isn't exactly common today, imagine the availability in 2075. In fact, this is one of the ways the players may track the guy.
« Last Edit: <01-30-15/0949:12> by psycho835 »

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-15/1058:06> »
Almost sounds like you're going for something like the Colt pistol from the t.v.show "Supernatural" with this. One of a kind gun with rare limited quantity ammo.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-15/1202:23> »
So I'm pretty much not missing anything - 15,000¥ for a rare vintage gun, plus 450¥ per 10 shots of specialized ammo.  The thing you do need to ask yourself, though, is 'why is this thing getting standard casual (Medium range bracket) kill-shots at distances that, for other heavy pistols, is at the full distance of their Long range bracket??'  Is it necessary? Do you really want your players to have a weapon that is 'licensed carry' but can punk bastards out to 150m?

Instead, maybe the bad guy has customized barrel extensions that enable him to make such extended-range shots.  Maybe they're good for only a few shots each before the rifling gets all torn up.  And when he's gone, the PCs have no way of getting the things unless they too go to great lengths.  (Pun not intended, but happily accepted.)
Pananagutan & End/Line

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-30-15/1603:25> »
So I'm pretty much not missing anything - 15,000¥ for a rare vintage gun, plus 450¥ per 10 shots of specialized ammo.  The thing you do need to ask yourself, though, is 'why is this thing getting standard casual (Medium range bracket) kill-shots at distances that, for other heavy pistols, is at the full distance of their Long range bracket??'  Is it necessary? Do you really want your players to have a weapon that is 'licensed carry' but can punk bastards out to 150m?

Instead, maybe the bad guy has customized barrel extensions that enable him to make such extended-range shots.  Maybe they're good for only a few shots each before the rifling gets all torn up.  And when he's gone, the PCs have no way of getting the things unless they too go to great lengths.  (Pun not intended, but happily accepted.)
Hmmm... I think that a biga*s caliber and long barrel should give some extra range, but you're right. SMG range is an overkill. Bumping down range to Heavy Pistol +10%, as per Barrel Extension mod from Arsenal.

Almost sounds like you're going for something like the Colt pistol from the t.v.show "Supernatural" with this. One of a kind gun with rare limited quantity ammo.
Never seen "Supernatural", but, yeah, that's the idea.
« Last Edit: <01-30-15/1612:04> by psycho835 »

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #12 on: <02-01-15/1105:54> »
A straight flat no, generally PCs don't need extra help "punk'ng" out mooks. The first example was way to good, so is the second, personally. The WarHawk is an AP -2 weapon, but making this more accurate, more damage, more ammo, and SA is over kill.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.