NEWS

Street Grimoire Errata

• 179 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #75 on: <07-18-14/2253:08> »
My perspective is that Mystic Adepts should have some kind of scaling cost increase for Power Points, instead of 5 Karma each at CC only.  Not sure of the balance, but something like 2-3-4-5-6-7-so on so forth, or perhaps something a little more exponential.  As it is, making it so a Mystic Adept can't purchase Power Points up to 6 (Or Essence, if it's lower) after CC is a little unfair from the meta-perspective; I can't think of any other situation where an entire character type can't access a part of its powers/abilities after CC. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #76 on: <07-19-14/0234:19> »
There is one really effective way to balance out Mystic Adepts, which is to let them buy Power Points at a cost that scales based on their Magic, but also charge them more to increase their Magic based on the number of Power Points they have (such that no matter the order of operations, getting to X Magic/Y Power Points always costs the same amount).  Problem is, it's a relatively complex system, and may be too much so.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Xelron

• Newb
« Reply #77 on: <07-19-14/0352:27> »
Mystic Adepts getting a free PP whenever they increase their Magic would be unbalancing. The current system isn't perfect, but it's better than giving Mystics the free PP.

I said nothing about a free PP. The PP should be cost karma. I would say 10 karma (2 times start karma cost).

Do someone know if you can buy Meta feats per karma like in SR4?
« Last Edit: <07-19-14/0707:09> by Xelron »

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <07-19-14/0718:46> »
Do someone know if you can buy Meta feats per karma like in SR4?

Yes.

Quote from: Street Grimoire, page 139, last line of the introduction to initation
For each new metamagical technique, however, the magician will need to initiate to the next grade to gain that new metamagic.

Quote from: Street Grimoire, page 139, sidebar, under Metamagics
METAMAGICS
These metamagics are only available to those who initiate into this school of magic. If more than one metamagic is available, the magician must perform the initiation process, including the Karma and time cost, to learn each one.

Unlike the previous sidebar in Street Magic that presented it as an optional rule, there is no such sidebar in the SG that I can find.

-Ariketh

Xelron

• Newb
« Reply #79 on: <07-26-14/0731:09> »
While discussing Spells with my friends following questions came up:

- Can damage of hight background count / mana ebb become physical (except for overflow when you can’t turn off being dualnatured or become unconscious when astral projecting)

- Does the spell „switch vehicle signature” also alter the appearance of the vehicle (because of being a variant of the “vehicle mask”spell)  or “just” the electronic signature?

- What is the amor penetration of “element [aura]” when being attacked? (when attacking its appropriate to the attack)

- The spell “Interference” influences the no longer existent matrix-attribute signal.

- The duration of Mist is very short, because you take force combat turns to cast it (because it being a permanent spell) and it can at maximum last also that long (with decreasing effect).  Here it would make more sense to let this be a sustained spell with no decreasing effect.

- Can the spell “Reinforce” also be cast on vehicles?

- Can “Shapechange” transform a being into a human (so do humans count in this case as “critters” -> because there is nearly no biological difference to a not awakened animal)?

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <07-26-14/1040:39> »
- The duration of Mist is very short, because you take force combat turns to cast it (because it being a permanent spell) and it can at maximum last also that long (with decreasing effect).  Here it would make more sense to let this be a sustained spell with no decreasing effect.

It's not a permanent spell. It's a physical spell yes (Type P), but the duration is instant (Duration: I). So it doesn't take you any time to cast it other than the complex action. For a near identical spell regarding the statblock: Ice Sheet from the core book. Only the Drain is different. In both cases, the spell instantly creates the effect (after the complex action to cast it), and then the effect lasts depending on environmental conditions. No sustain, no long cast time.

And even then, I believe you may be misunderstanding how casting a permanent spell works. Unless it's Ritual Spellcasting, all spells cast in one Complex Action. (Or Simple if you like drain.) In the case of Permanent spells, you sustain (not continue casting) for the Force duration in combat turns, with all attendant drawbacks to sustaining a spell. (Note that if you are familiar with SR3, there's no such thing an an exclusive spell/action anymore, so you can cast other spells while sustaining an existing spell for as long as you want..)

Quote from: SR5, page 283
Permanent (P) spells don’t fade or dissipate; their effect becomes a lasting, non-magical characteristic after you sustain the spell for (Force) Combat Turns.

Bold mine. Now, if you think that it should be a sustained spell rather than an instant spell with a short duration, that's fine. But this doesn't exactly count as errata, because the spell isn't wrong.

- Can the spell “Reinforce” also be cast on vehicles?

Why wouldn't it? Given the restrictions, it appears to be mostly useful for small objects. (For various values of small.)

Though, good luck getting your Magic Rating high enough to be effective for a car. Magic Rating caps the area in square meters. Remember a square meter is 1x1 meter square. So half the windshield or a side window. A 3m x 3m square is actually 9 square meters. A full car bumper to bumper all the way around to include tires would be difficult to cover with PC Magic Rating.* Heck, Dragons would probably have a problem with it, though there might be an improved spell (in universe) that does a volume rather than surface area.  So you'd need to be strategic with Reinforce, assuming your GM says that a window or a panel is an "object" not the car.

*Surface area.

-Ariketh

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <08-10-14/1227:46> »
I'd like to throw in that DIGITAL CELERITY is currently not right, or it was created purposefully weak.

It requires Nimble Fingers, an adept power that gives +1 to palming and a few actions that were simple are now free. Then it gives -1 additional perception check modifiers to those observing the Adept per level of Nimble Fingers. Problem of course is that Nimble Fingers is only a 1 level power, and that the power Light Touch, does the same thing as the meta magic, and has levels.

So if its suppose to stay nimble fingers, then the metamagic is really weak and needs "per level removed"

I believe though it  is suppose to be Light Touch, effectively doubling the effect of this power, which does make it very much a much more desirable metamagic.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Nabirius

• Newb
« Reply #82 on: <08-17-14/0052:48> »
I think a bit one that has gone over looked for sometime is this from pg. 41:

Mages of that particular tradition may only summon the spirits listed with the tradition, and they are restricted in the tasks they can assign them. Assigning tasks outside the general area of their tradition will not receive a re- sponse from the spirit (for example, a Buddhist mage telling an air spirit to heal him will get no response, as air is a Combat spirit in that tradition, while the Health spirit is earth).

Now keep in mind that the spirit of earth, the 'healing spirit' in the Buddhist system has no healing abilities, and yet is the healing spirit. In fact the only 'traditional' spirit that can heal is the Spirit of Man with Innate spell (Heal). Furthermore this means that in the Hermetic Tradition Earth spirits can only be used for Manipulation Tasks, and what does that mean? If I want something from across the room, is that the time to summon an earth spirit?

This need either to be scrapped, or to have errata clarifying that this only refers to spirits assisting in spells/alchemy/research.
« Last Edit: <08-18-14/0014:02> by Nabirius »

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <08-18-14/0132:57> »
It not exclusively applying to the bound spirit services of aiding spellcasting/sorcery/study/whatnot would be ... restrictive.
So I'd suggest that you ignore it aside from the above services and wait for them to provide clear basis before you get too much of a headache or get your players get angry with you ;)

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #84 on: <08-18-14/0229:42> »
I've always treated it that way, otherwise dividing the spirits into categories is kind of meaningless. Only, I don't have them stand there doing nothing. An Earth spirit will still get into combat if you tell it to, it just does so begrudgingly, which would affect the player's reputation with his spirits.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #85 on: <08-18-14/1609:24> »
(for example, a Buddhist mage telling an air spirit to heal him will get no response, as air is a Combat spirit in that tradition, while the Health spirit is earth)

My favorite part of their example is that if the Buddhist mage told an Earth spirit to heal him, he'd also get no response, other than possibly "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #86 on: <09-30-14/1757:17> »
Pages 31 & 33: Page 31 says a positive background count of 16+ is a mana warp. Page 33 says Mana Warps are between -16 and -20, not +16 and +20.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #87 on: <10-01-14/1844:59> »
Pages 31 & 33: Page 31 says a positive background count of 16+ is a mana warp. Page 33 says Mana Warps are between -16 and -20, not +16 and +20.

Pretty sure 31 is correct, seeing as it becomes an ebb or a void when you hit the negatives.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <10-01-14/1847:46> »
So you agree it should be fixed.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #89 on: <10-01-14/1857:49> »
So you agree it should be fixed.

I was specifying what part I thought should be fixed.  Otherwise, who knows what would end up happening?