NEWS

Defiance Ex Shocker

• 20 Replies

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #15 on: <09-14-15/2204:00> »
I gotcha, I thought your objection was more of a simulationist thing.  I totally agree though, it's is clearly the "one best choice", a phenomenon which just shouldn't exist for several reasons, namely mechanical balance and economic realism since nobody would buy the inferior weapons and they would cease to exist if we were representing a realistic economy.

There's a few more of those in the game, but for the most part the best choices in each category (stat-wise) are out of reach at chargen, as it should be.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-14-15/2344:04> »
I try to hunt down and eradicate those things whenever possible. Things can be the best in a niche, but a general-purpose "Better than the rest" is always bad from a design-side of things. "Everything has a price" is the 5th ed mantra, after all. :)

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-14-15/2357:54> »
It is an SS weapon to every other tasers' SA. I'd also bring up the 20m trailing wires, but tasers only have a 20m range.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #18 on: <09-15-15/1721:57> »
Things can be the best in a niche, but a general-purpose "Better than the rest" is always bad from a design-side of things. "Everything has a price" is the 5th ed mantra, after all. :)

Amen!  I love that mantra.
      We've had a similar saying at our game table for a long time, (long before 5th ed) usually when we were agonizing over character build choices.  It was a beautiful frustration to have so many good, competitive options where each combination presented fantastic synergy in different ways and situations. 
      Confounded by all the excellent, fun (and mutually exclusive) options, we would tell each other with resignation, "Hard decisions are the mark of good game design." Can't complain about that. :)

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #19 on: <09-16-15/1524:55> »
I try to hunt down and eradicate those things whenever possible. Things can be the best in a niche, but a general-purpose "Better than the rest" is always bad from a design-side of things. "Everything has a price" is the 5th ed mantra, after all. :)
Then you need to nerf the Ares Alpha immediately. Yes you can't get it at charge ( I think) but its the immediate buy for anyone with the automatics skill.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #20 on: <09-18-15/0900:32> »
It's called opportunity cost.  Is it easy to get?  Is it cheap?  Is it powerful?  Is it accurate?  You can say yes to two, maybe two and a half of those, but three is pushing it, and four is right out.  Ideally, if it's 'better than the rest', then it's more powerful and more accurate, but it's gonna be pricey (by a factor of at least x2, maybe x5, and x10-100 ain't out of the question) and it's gonna be tough to get.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.