NEWS

SRM 5A-01: Chasin' The Wind now available!

• 37 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <10-01-13/0012:08> »
[quote name='Bull' date='Oct 1 2013, 12:03 AM' post='1263502']
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/09/a...-ready-to-rock/

The new season of Shadowrun Missions begins with Chasin’ the Wind (Battleshop, DriveThru), which brings exciting Missions action to the chaotic feral city of Chicago! If you’re brave enough to venture into the wilds of the Containment Zone, here’s what you’ll encounter:

Deadly Cold Wind

It’s been nearly twenty years since disaster struck the city of Chicago, transforming it into an urban hellscape, and some people now believe it’s suffered enough. The Governor of Illinois has initiated and ambitious plan called Project: Takeback to reclaim the feral urban jungle. What’s more, he’s put money into the effort, and that’s the language every corporation on Earth understands. Suddenly, the race is on as the megacorps scramble to claim pieces of the Windy City. They’ll be butting up against the dangers of the Containment Zone and each other, so they’re going to need all sorts of deniable assets. The shadows of Chicago are coming back to life.

In Chasin’ The Wind, what starts as a simple run into the Containment Zone gets more complicated by the minute, and before the night is over shadowrunners might encounter rogue assassins, a feral runaway, and a mysterious massacre in the heart of one of the worst urban areas in the world. But if they survive, there’s more than just pay waiting for them at the end. There’s pizza—Chicago-style.

Chasin’ The Wind is the first adventure for Season 5 of Shadowrun Missions, Catalyst Game Labs’ living campaign for Shadowrun. It is designed for use with Shadowrun, Fifth Edition.
[/quote]

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-13/0014:16> »
AAlso, just a heads up... We're running a contest from now until October 31, 2013. Anyone who posts a review of 5A-01: Chasin' The Wind to DriveThru will be entered to win a chance to appear as an NPC in an upcoming Missions adventure! We'll use your name (Or a character name) and either a photo of yoruself or description of your character to use as the basis of one of several NPCs who will make an appearance in Mission!

Bull

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-13/0638:10> »
Bull, are you ready for reviews on this yet? You never responded to my private message about feedback that is prerelease, and I am sad that the outcome that happened at 2 out of 3 tables that I have played or judged is not an official option.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-13/0645:00> »
Since I'm currently about to begin regular Shadowrun sessions with a new group of players, the Missions format is perfect to fit into our busy lives. So the beginning of this new season is like manna from heaven :)
Plus I've always wanted to take my players to Chicago (Bug City being one of my favourite SR books).

Edit: just to be 100% sure - the Mission begins in January 2075, right?
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/0922:07> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Slithery D

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-13/1959:07> »
o be 100% sure - the Mission begins in January 2075, right?
It's in an alternate world where a lab cut off in the Chicago CZ for years was able to fund and install 5.2 essence points of delta grade bioware into a technomancer (why? don't ask this product, it won't tell you) while everyone around them struggled to find food and shelter, so I wouldn't worry too much about the timeline.

This is a really terrible product. I liked Shattered State, though.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-08-13/0257:06> »
It's in an alternate world where a lab cut off in the Chicago CZ for years was able to fund and install 5.2 essence points of delta grade bioware into a technomancer (why? don't ask this product, it won't tell you) while everyone around them struggled to find food and shelter, so I wouldn't worry too much about the timeline.

Well technically the CZ was only cut off for 3 years (2055-2058). So while it is indeed a bit strange, it's not impossible. Stranger things have happened in Shadowrun :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-13/0449:52> »
The CZ is more like New Orleans, really: It simply never recovered from the damage done, but the original cause of the damage isn't there anymore.

Marzhin: It's definitely winter and probably 2075, I forget when the new matrix was introduced. And now we get into timetravel: your Missions Calender is not tied to real time. So even if someone does all of Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line and pops into Mission 2 after 40 weeks, the second Mission probably is only 1 month later in-universe.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-08-13/0612:23> »
Marzhin: It's definitely winter and probably 2075, I forget when the new matrix was introduced. And now we get into timetravel: your Missions Calender is not tied to real time. So even if someone does all of Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line and pops into Mission 2 after 40 weeks, the second Mission probably is only 1 month later in-universe.

The Missions specifically states "It's January" but doesn't say January of which year :) It seems logical to think it's 2075, but I just want to avoid the situation where I'm telling my players "The year is 2075..." only to discover in the next Mission it's actually meant to be 2076 ^^
(Groucho Marx)

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <10-08-13/0900:46> »
And it’s not like any one does any unscrupulous medical experiments on the poor and impoverished in the real world, so of course nothing like that could happen in a fictitious world that is even more controlled by money.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Slithery D

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-08-13/0904:14> »
It's millions of nuyen of delta grade bioware into a technomancer research subject. The point of the technomancer research is to clone and network them, so destroying her resonance abilities makes no sense. Nor does giving her that particular suite of "kill all the things" enhancements.

And how does an independent lab in the CZ whose megacorp owner doesn't know it exists anymore (otherwise how could Saeder Krupp move it and try to steal it) pay for this research, let alone wasting millions on counterproductive bioware?

This adventure is a grab bag of ideas that someone mistakenly thought were cool that in no way cohere into any logical whole that makes sense within the world of Shadowrun.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-08-13/1001:15> »
These are good points, although this being only the first Mission of the season, we might get answers in future episodes.
This is Shadowrun after all, I wouldn't be surprised if what we've been told so far is a red herring.
(Groucho Marx)

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-11-13/1117:42> »
It was pointed out in another forum that all the enemies in this mission are specifically mentioned to have turned off all wireless on their gear/cyber.

That's a bad sign right?  I'd really like to hear the though process on that one.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <10-11-13/1349:07> »
Part of them is operating in a Noise where they can't access their wireless bonuses anyway. Might as well wire up then.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-11-13/1428:49> »
Doesn't that seem slightly odd for the first SR5 module going out though?  That they sidestep a HUGE part of the new core rules?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <10-11-13/1626:17> »
Not really, since they wouldn't profit from wireless to begin with. That's just common sense, really.