NEWS

The Dresden Files

• 51 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <03-21-12/0224:20> »
I assumed he had a Jeep because it was about as low tech as you could get and because it was rugged. That way his anti-techness couldn't screw it up much.
And a VW Bug is high tech?

Also, the engine is in the back, so it's farther away from his Tech Bane.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #31 on: <03-21-12/2319:49> »
I assumed he had a Jeep because it was about as low tech as you could get and because it was rugged. That way his anti-techness couldn't screw it up much.
And a VW Bug is high tech?

Also, the engine is in the back, so it's farther away from his Tech Bane.

Herbie was high tech, or magic:)

Not sure really, I only know that MOST cars you put key in it goes VROOM and they need to be fed gas and oil or they don't work.

Quick wiki search puts VW older, JEEP is 4-wheel drive though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #32 on: <03-21-12/2327:52> »
The Blue Beetle was Herbie's Trailer Park Cousin.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #33 on: <03-22-12/0033:21> »
I read on the wiki page Butcher announced the TV show was SUPPOSED to be very different from the books, as it is an alternate universe.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-22-12/0149:40> »
OH god, I could list all the differences, but most of them are spoilers. Except the SINGLE episode that was actually based on one of the books. But even that one got screwed up by the end of the episode.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-22-12/0950:30> »
I read on the wiki page Butcher announced the TV show was SUPPOSED to be very different from the books, as it is an alternate universe.

After the series came out, finished it's first season (only a half season at that), and months after it was announced that it was not going to get picked up again. It's the sound of a man backpeddling.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <03-22-12/1007:47> »
Now it's the sound of a man counting the hours until it's in his control again.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #37 on: <03-22-12/1041:04> »
Actually, the way they did the series did make sense. They had to firmly establish a very complex world in a short amount of time. I think that the TV show, while still inferior to the books, did a decent job of keeping the 'spirit' of the Dresden Files. I especially liked the twist on Bob.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <03-22-12/1244:38> »
Actually, the way they did the series did make sense. They had to firmly establish a very complex world in a short amount of time.

Did they? Dresden is Our World + Magic. If the TV series kept the progression about the same pace as the novels then the real heavy magic wouldn't have been needed for a while. In my opinion had they done about a book's worth of stories in a season...and used the books as the frame for the season, then I think the series would have survived better.

I think that the TV show, while still inferior to the books, did a decent job of keeping the 'spirit' of the Dresden Files. I especially liked the twist on Bob.

Taking into account how...painful...the first novels were (they were his first novels published, it shows), I still feel they were superior to what was tossed up on screen. I guess I'm a bit spoiled with shows that like to tell a major story arch over the course of a season.

As for Bob, he's on my list of things that were changed for production reasons that don't bother me.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

SeriousOne338

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <03-22-12/1247:18> »
I especially liked the twist on Bob.

I like book bob better
Colors: Speech, Thought, Matrix
Character:
Dos.Boot http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=7368.15

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <03-22-12/1300:08> »
Especially him in the RPG books.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #41 on: <03-22-12/1903:48> »
Especially him in the RPG books.  ;D

Yes, well Snark recognizes Snark. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #42 on: <03-24-12/0336:56> »

I like book bob better

Book Bob? Did I miss something, I haven't gotten to the anthology, Ghost Stories, or the RPG yet...been  bit busy.  8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #43 on: <03-24-12/0408:05> »

I like book bob better

Book Bob? Did I miss something, I haven't gotten to the anthology, Ghost Stories, or the RPG yet...been  bit busy.  8)

Book vs TV.

In the TV show he comes out of the skull every time Dresden needs to talk to him, and is played kinda like "Al" from Quantum Leap. Essentially, he looks and acts like a "normal", corporeal human until they decide to throw a special effect into the mix.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <03-28-12/0612:03> »
Book Bob OTOH is a skull with glowing eyes and a perverted attitude.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11