NEWS

Grapple Gun

• 17 Replies

Rotor

• Newb
« on: <09-30-13/0742:48> »
The rules describe thoroughly the grapple gun but there's not a sentence about what advantages it can bring to the table. Of course it's evident t that it makes climbing easier but there's not a mention of it in the climbing table. Intuitively, I'd say that it can't replace climbing gear so it doesn't make climbing "assisted" but still easier than "unassisted" :) Since "assisted" is worth +2, a grapple gun would be +1. Or it could compensate 1 level of climbing difficulty : broken would become fence and so on...?  Thanks for any input on the matter!

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-30-13/1042:31> »
I think the grapple gun exists just to lay a rope down for you and otherwise doesnt give modifiers. I cant see the climbing table at the moment, does it have a target number on what it takes to climb a rope?

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-13/1350:14> »
Well, i usually resolve the Grapple Gun as a Pistols + Agility Test to acctually hit the place you wish to and then a Body + Str (Only applicable if you have 5 or less on Body + Strenght) to be able to hold your grapple gun while it lifts you with his automatic winch. But thats me. Also the speed i consider is 20 meters per combat turn (i always take 3 secons as a combat turn), also i add a +125 nuyen cost to the Grapple Gun fitted for trolls (an unfitted troll grapple gun lift at 5 meters per turn and has a severe risk of dropping the troll due to insuficient hook resistance (roll 1d6 for each meter traveled if any of those scores a 1 then he starts falling since that height). Hope its usefull
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-13/1525:16> »
That's a pretty heavily houseruled version of the grapple gun.

By the rules, Grapple Gun takes Exotic Ranged Weapon to fire, and specifies that the winch can only pull up light loads, which probably doesn't include your troll. A dwarf, maybe.

You'd use the Grapple Gun to put your rope where you want it, then use the harness and such from the Climbing Gear to have assisted climbing. If you just have rope, how are you planning to get it to the top of that building you want to climb?

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-13/1544:16> »
@Ryo
Too much Batman and James Bond, i like that particular house rule, but as i said its what i do, i don't use exotic weapons because it complicates things a bit too much, also its roughly the same mechanic (except for the live wire). Also come on its the f*cking futere! how is it that we are not investing in grapple guns?! and we are investing in emotitoys?! Explain that to me Corp Boy! XD (Its a joke)
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-13/1550:35> »
Emotitoys are SR4 and need to die in a fire.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-13/1614:59> »
@MichaelChandra
No! Don't burn them! Thats what they wish... They are watching! Altough its fun when they are hacked and turned against their tamagochi lover owner...

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-30-13/1704:23> »
I've actually houseruled my own Batman style Grapnel Gun.

The Grapnel Gun is the size of a heavy pistol and uses shotgun shells to launch a length of cable 20 meters long at a selected target. Once attached, the internal battery retracts the cable at high speed, either propelling the user to the target, or bringing the target to the user. Against an unfixed opponent, treat this as an opposed Knockdown Test. If the defender's Physical Limit is lower than the Strength + net hits of the Attacker, he is pulled off his feet and dragged to the attacker at the rate of retraction. Otherwise, the attacker must succeed in a Body + Strength test or have the grapnel yanked out of his hands. Even if he succeeds, he is instead pulled off his feet and dragged towards the defender. If the rate of retraction is fast enough to incur falling damage, this applies to both the defender and the attacker as the two collide. The Grapnel Gun holds 10 charges and regains 1 charge per ten seconds when plugged in. The Grapnel can be retracted at various speeds. Switching between these speeds requires a Change Device Mode Simple Action.

Steady: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 3 meters per combat turn, fast enough to clear a 1 story building quickly but safely. The Grapnel needs at least 1 charge to retract at this speed, but can be used indefinitely. This requires a minimum Strength of 2 to hold onto the gun. If the user lacks sufficient strength, they must make a Strength + Body test, with a threshold equal to the difference between their Strength Attribute and the requirement for the rate of retraction, or else have the gun pulled out of their hand.
Slow: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 5 meters per combat turn. This expends 1 charge, and requires a minimum Strength of 3 to hold onto the gun.
Fast: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 10 meters per combat turn. This expends 2 charges, and moves the target at high enough speed that they must resist falling damage as if they fell 5 meters. This requires a minimum Strength of 4 to hold onto the gun.
Turbo: The Grapnel instantly retracts the full length of its cable, moving at a speed of 20 meters per combat turn. This uses up 5 charges, and causes 10 meters worth of falling damage on impact due to the high speed of retraction. A minimum Strength of 6 is required to hold onto the gun..

Wireless: Laser range finders, ultrasound and weight sensors between the gun and the head of the cable are able to quickly calculate the exact distance being traversed and the full load being pulled, allowing the Grapnel to calibrate its retraction speed to slow to a safe stop. No falling damage is taken, no matter how fast the grapnel is retracted. In addition, changing retraction speeds requires only a Free Action, and it recharges through induction at a rate of 1 charge per hour.

Grapnel Gun
Accuracy: 4
Damage: 7P
AP: -1
Mode: SS
RC: -
Ammo: 5 (m)
Avail: 12R
Cost: 1000 nuyen

Optional Heads:

Electromagnetic Head: This Grapnel head is designed to latch onto any ferrous metal, such as the bodies of vehicles or heavy girders. When activated, any metal target, or target that contains metal, receives a -4 penalty to its defense roll to avoid the Grapnel. When properly attached, the rope will break before the magnet fails. Turning the Magnet on or off requires a Change Device Mode Simple Action.
Wireless: The magnet can be activated and deactivated as a Free Action.
Damage Modifier: -
AP Modifier: -
Avail: 4
Cost: 100 nuyen

Gecko Head: This Grapnel Head has a large sphere of amorphous Gecko pad material the size of a softball. On impact, it flattens against the target, dramatically increasing its surface area and holding fast. The Gecko Head can stick to almost any surface and support the weight of a full grown Troll without slipping, but it becomes worthless when wet and can't stick to surfaces coated against adhesives. Once stuck, removing the Gecko Head requires a Complex Action to carefully peel it off its target, or a Simple Action if liquid can be poured over it.
Wireless: The adhesive in the Gecko Pad can be temporarily disabled with a Wireless Signal, allowing it to be removed as a Free Action.
Damage Modifier: -2S
AP Modifier: +1
Avail: 12
Cost: 500 nuyen

Spike Head: This Grapnel Head is a hardened, diamond tipped spike, designed to pierce through a target before deploying barbs to hold it fast. The Spike can pierce any barrier up to Structure Rating 12 and deals 1 box of damage to the barrier. Against living targets, it becomes lodged in their armor if the damage is converted to stun, or gets embedded in their body if it deals Physical. Removing the spike once its lodged into a target requires a Complex Action and a Strength + Body (4) test. Pulling the spike out like this deals two boxes of damage to Structures, or base weapon damage to a living target that took Physical damage from the initial attack. Alternatively, it can be removed without additional damage using a First Aid + Logic (2) [Mental] test.
Wireless: The internal barbs can be retracted with a wireless signal, allowing the spike to easily slip out of whatever hole it made. If lodged into a living target, this still requires a Complex Action.
Damage Modifier: -
AP Modifier: -4
Avail: 12F
Cost: 120 nuyen
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/2129:56> by Ryo »

Rotor

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-30-13/1732:41> »
I love it! Tons of potential for hazardous use and story hooks    :)

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-30-13/1823:32> »
I live to serve. I also figured out rules for an implanted version.

Implanted Grapnel Gun
Accuracy: 4 (6)
Damage: 7P
AP: -1
Mode: SS
RC: -
Ammo: 4(m)/8(c)
Essence: 0.5
Capacity: [6]
Avail: 12R
Cost: 5,000 nuyen

Since an Implanted Grapnel Gun cannot be yanked out of your hand, it instead deals 1 box of unresisted physical damage for every point of strength you're missing as the implant yanks on the meat its attached to, Which can be prevented by the Body + Strength test as usual.
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/1831:16> by Ryo »

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-30-13/2022:12> »
Both versions should allow you to "cut the line" to avoid being dragged or being hurt (cyber version) and requiere a complex action or an armorer + logic extended test to reattach the line

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-30-13/2028:03> »
Both versions should allow you to "cut the line" to avoid being dragged or being hurt (cyber version) and requiere a complex action or an armorer + logic extended test to reattach the line

I imagine it would detach from the head, rather than from the gun, so that you keep the cable. Replacing the head with a different one, whether you want to swap options or you lost the previous one, probably takes an Armorer+Logic [Mental] test.

But yeah, releasing the line as a Change Device action makes sense. And perhaps with Wireless activated, you can set it to do so automatically for safety reasons if its about to tear your arm off or drag you behind a car.
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/2032:50> by Ryo »

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <09-30-13/2041:45> »
If i were in any moment using SR5 system i would use that gadget! Ryo i like your style! thumbs up for you!

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-30-13/2141:40> »
Thanks! If you don't play 5th edition, it converts to 4th pretty easily. Just ignore the Accuracy rating, use 4th edition's version of the Knockdown rules when shooting it at a person, and the Wireless Bonuses require you to have the node for the gun slaved to your PAN and it counts as Signal 2 for the purpose of jammers.

Reduce the damage to 5P, the cost of the gun to 600 nuyen and the cost of the implant to 4,000 nuyen. Gecko Pad and Electromagnet would both hit Impact armor, and the Spike would hit Ballistic. Oh, and the penalty for the electromagnet should be reduced to -2, since defense pools were smaller in 4th.

Pretty sure that covers all the differences between editions.
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/2147:33> by Ryo »

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <09-30-13/2217:12> »
I will name it Ryo Model Grapnel Gun!